Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Model 3 - 3M Crystalline Tint - Front Windshield OK??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to tint my Red Model 3.

I will be using 3M Crystalline.

My thoughts are 40% on side windows, and 70% from front windshield all the way to the back.

Does anyone have an opinion or thoughts on tinting the windshield?

Tint will be on the inside of the car, so nothing in front of the cameras.

Is there anything I am missing that will cause issues with electronics? Radio antenna???
Or anything else.

Also, is 70% too dark for windshield, and is 40% to dark where it is hard to see at night?

I care less about appearance, and more about heat reduction (100+ temps).

Thanks,
Frank

I have 35% on all my sides and rear. I did 80% on the front and you couldn't even tell there was tint there. My buddy has 70% and it's just slightly darker than normal, very hard to notice.

I didn't really notice that much heat rejection so when I had to get my windshield replaced, I haven't retinted it. I probably won't do it again.

Tint won't keep your car from getting really hot, it's just going to slow it down.

Ceramic IR 75% front windshield, and 35% all around. On days where it's 100+ degrees here in CA I still feel the warmth on my forehead, but I can only imagine what it would be like if I didn't have that 75%. No issue with electronics as my installer has experience with TM3's.

Did you find an installer that will do the backwindow? I asked and it requires a special 5' wide order of crystalline. I have 70% on windshield and it's a life saving in the summer. I didn't do back window and glad I didn't cause it had to be replaced for defect stress crack.

i did 70% windshield in xpel xr+ and 35% ever where else. i notice a difference in heat, especially on the front. almost any good ceramic tint at any percentage will help with heat. 70% on the front is not too dark, its barley noticeable, i still use sunglasses.. i have noticed i keep my A/c around 72/73 now and i'm comfortable, i used to ride around at 69 and now its too cold.

Did you find an installer that will do the backwindow? I asked and it requires a special 5' wide order of crystalline. I have 70% on windshield and it's a life saving in the summer. I didn't do back window and glad I didn't cause it had to be replaced for defect stress crack.

I am scheduled at Rodz Tint shop in Fountain Valley, CA.
Hoping it all turns out good.... Tint always makes me nervous :)

4DFFC266-952B-4CFE-A3BF-75BCAD3EB5BF.jpeg

50% on the windshield

• Love
Reactions: Burrito
I am scheduled at Rodz Tint shop in Fountain Valley, CA.
Hoping it all turns out good.... Tint always makes me nervous :)
make sure they've done M3 windshields before. There was issues with water getting into the electronics on some of the first cars to get tinted.

also ensure they are doing the back window in one piece. they'll need the wider roll of film for this. if they balk or say they can hide the seam in the defroster, go somewhere else that knows what they're doing.

make sure they've done M3 windshields before. There was issues with water getting into the electronics on some of the first cars to get tinted.

also ensure they are doing the back window in one piece. they'll need the wider roll of film for this. if they balk or say they can hide the seam in the defroster, go somewhere else that knows what they're doing.
Truth.

I’d never have the windshield tinted with it on the car. Too much of a risk for things to go wrong with water in the electronics under the dash