Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red MYP delivery. Fremont build. Bad fit and paint. Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’m going to be accepting of the orange peel and the sealant paint crack under the trunk handle as these are considered “normal” for a Tesla.

I’m concerned about them having to realign all fenders trunk and frunk and getting it all completely wrong / causing more issues - or is the quantity of realignment not really something to worry about as they are good enough at addressing it typically? (I bet they’ve practiced more than any other technicians at any of the other brands, that’s for sure!!)

Still figuring out if A-pillar is thin/ no clear coat or bad marring / thinning from someone who didn’t know how to use a polisher.
Short of something falling off, they will say most comesetic issues are within spec. I took delivery at the Fremont factory and made sure my model y was free of all visible defects.

They said a lot of defects were within spec when we went through them. The only reason they fixed it was this was in their December push at the higher price point and at the facory. Would assume they are back to business as usual.

If you can live with it, accept delivery. If you are hoping they will fix it after the fact, reject delivery as you will just become another frustrated buyer. Service centers can get backed up.

I wouldn't accept that either. Took delivery of a Fremont Red MY 7 seat in Austin, and the paint and detailing were very good. I did find a 1mm paint bubble which was very obvious, and there was no question that it would be fixed, although it will require a body shop fix - not service. I admit I'm not a super perfectionist when it comes to the gaps or panel fits, but I also know that your photos don't like like my vehicle at all. So we all know they can do better and you shouldn't accept less.

So I know a lot of people will be rolling their eyes but I decided just to accept it and get the things fixed myself.

I will say I bought this open eyes, and just needed a car. The fed tax rebate thing wasn’t part of the decision or pressure to buy.

Either some folks are getting unicorns or they are just oblivious to the issues, as I can’t believe there is a single good car that comes out of their factory. Walking through car parks recently and casually checking out teslas I can see every single one has at least some factory related defects. On closer inspection I bet I’d find more but I’m not about to start taking a light gun and paint depth meter to peoples cars!!

The orange peel is in all of the cars I’ve looked at - so I’m not losing sleep over it. That’s “standard” for Tesla.

I have a friend who owns a high end body shop and will have him adjust panel alignments for me.

I’ll paint correct what I believe to be sanding that wasn’t buffed after the fact to correct the clear coat.

There was only one halo/ buffing trail from where they tried to polish a 12”x6” area of the front bumper. There was not a single other polishing swirl under careful inspection with 6500k HID white lights that I use for detailing.

I’m actually happy that they haven’t tried to polish or correct the paint or any other surface aside from that. I have the skills and tools to do it myself.

There was one fish eye in the end and one bit of dirt in paint, they are low down and in an area that won’t be really visible to most people.

It certainly wasn’t a good build. Tesla are a joke for QC and they know it.

Rather than give it back to them to fix- I’d rather they contribute what they’d pay their 3rd party shops to the customer, who could then get corrections done at their own choice of shop (or take a discount) - that would be fair.

Add me to the list of suckers I guess.

The driving experience has been pretty great I have to say. Better than expected. So there that.

Reactions: vet757