Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redirecting navigate path?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to get the Navigation system to choose a different path from the one chosen? For instance, on my way home on the freeway, it always chooses the exit prior to the one that is most logical and quickest. This is troublesome when I have Navigate on Autopilot engaged.

Is there a way to get the Navigation system to choose a different path from the one chosen? For instance, on my way home on the freeway, it always chooses the exit prior to the one that is most logical and quickest. This is troublesome when I have Navigate on Autopilot engaged.

Not directly. You simply have choose a destination that forces an alternative path, then change the destination while on the way, or reaching the intervening point. Instead of routing to "Home," pick a business or other location where the choice is more obvious. Or in your case, just turn off NoA. It is not always best.

It is sometimes tricky to use Nav on streets you already know better. It is best in an area you don't know at all.

Unfortunately, no, and the routes Tesla's nav system picks are often really bad routes.

For example, on my drive home from work, it skips a freeway change that I would ordinarily take, and as a result, puts me on an off-ramp that ends in a blind merge that is only about twenty feet long. It's one of the most dangerous off-ramps in the Bay Area, and it prefers that over a trivial freeway change from 101 to 237 that would result in having my own dedicated lane when I get off the freeway.

And although both routes are approximately the same distance, the route that Tesla picks is longer by several minutes because of the need to deal with two straight traffic lights, one right turn at a light, and one U-turn at a light, with all of those being the lower priority direction, versus only one straight traffic light and two right turns, with the one straight light being in the high-priority direction.

This drives me nuts about Tesla's map system. If Tesla actually used the full Google Maps, rather than whatever they're using, then taking a different route would be a single tap on the alternate route. :/

I wish the system would integrate the option of adding an additional Supercharger stop. It had me arriving with 5% charge and needing to drive below 65. Stopping at a very convenient Super Harper for a few minutes made for less anxiety. I was surprised it didn’t offer that as a choice. I manually changed the route to just be to the charger. After charging I was offered to resume route but it still wasn’t as seamless as it could have been.

I wish the system would integrate the option of adding an additional Supercharger stop. It had me arriving with 5% charge and needing to drive below 65. Stopping at a very convenient Super Harper for a few minutes made for less anxiety. I was surprised it didn’t offer that as a choice. I manually changed the route to just be to the charger. After charging I was offered to resume route but it still wasn’t as seamless as it could have been.

I believe that is why some people use A Better Routeplanner - A Better Routeplanner

I haven’t gone on a road trip yet, so I haven’t tried it.

The on-board Nav's routing preference is to minimize the number of stops. So it may skip superchargers if it is possible. This will likely lengthen the total time for your trip. I would suggest using something different for long trip planning (trips requiring multiple charge stops). ABRP for example, optimizes for minimum total trip time.

Other than that, instead of routing to your ultimate destination, I would suggest setting the next supercharger as the destination and stopping. As soon as you begin charging, set a new destination to the next supercharger and you will get a reasonable charge time estimate.

When i am on a long trip, I usually run ABRP on an iPad, and refer to that for my stops and charge time estimates. If the in-car Nav appears to skip a stop, I may reset the destination, so i get the best route off the highway. ABRP also runs fine on the in-car web browser, so the iPad may not be necessary.