Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced ordering options for Model S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a pano roof now and use it occasionally on a nice day (in NY, I dont get to use it half the year) when driving local as it’s so noisy on highways just like other sunroofs. If I was go buy new, I would have saved the money and got the all glass roof. That being said, I believe this is a pretty foolish move by Tesla as it’s going to turn off some new buyers who have become accustomed to and like sunroofs. Then again, they have the sales numbers and perhaps the numbers show people aren’t electing to spend more on it?

Tesla has temporarily removed options before - and then added them back later - though it may be a while before the pano roof comes back.

It was a differentiating feature vs. the 3/X which only come with the all glass roofs.

If enough owners ask for it - and competing manufacturers offer this in an S competitor - we may see it come back again later.

Though for now - it's gone...

With this new reduction in options the only real options (besides software and wheels) on a Model S are paint and interior.

Therefore there are 6 *3 =18 combinations for Model S 75D and 100D and only 12 for P100D. Tesla can now safely build cars then match them to orders in inventory.

Also last I checked premium package was a paid extra on the 75 and free for the 100 variants. Did it just now become free for the 75D as well or did that happen a while ago? I didn't see anyone mention that as part of the changes.

I remember reading about cashflow problems and Tesla asking their suppliers to give them a discount.. Will have to google it to find the article... Another theory: They're dropping the less popular choices to buy in bulk on the more popular... maybe can negotiate better margins that way? I know EM is trying to pull out some profitable quarters for the naysayers... every bit counts?
Hopefully this isn't something more pessimistic... than that, but if you read Seeking Alpha there could be even more pessimistic reasons :-/

I agree, though, no-sunroof can mean no-sale.

This is what I think is going to happen to the S now that the Sunroof is gone. I know if the S wasn't available with a sunroof at all I most likely wouldn't even own one (I know petty reason as to why I wouldn't buy the S but it's a feature I really want and like). If sunroof isn't coming back I (nor wife) will be getting a new S at all because its a feature we really really like and want....Tesla PLEASE don't start going backwards on me:(. I would LOVE to continue to empty my bank account on a new Tesla every few year's.;)

Also last I checked premium package was a paid extra on the 75 and free for the 100 variants. Did it just now become free for the 75D as well or did that happen a while ago? I didn't see anyone mention that as part of the changes.

Change made on July 20th. The package was standard for the performance versions of the Model S and Model X, but now Tesla has also included it in the Model S and Model X 75D and 100D – making the package standard for all vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2018/07/20/tesla-updates-model-s-x-options-increases-base-price/

uhhh did no one notice the price change?? I just picked up my MX 75D with Black Premium, 7 Seat, EAP, FSD for a total of 98,500 incl dest. fees. Cant order the FSD ($3000) but same setup is now $93,200. Add the 3k and its $96,200....that is 2K less?? I feel a little violated.

I thought the Model 3 was to have pretty limited configurations but the plan was for the Model S and X to have many more options. Been awhile since I remember reading that.

I guess I’m glad we bought when we did with the exception my husband said he would have ordered the 100D but that didn’t become available for a few more months...then if we waited for that we would have missed out on our ventilated seats which we love so guess the 75D ended up being the best car for us in the end.

Last edited:
Interesting as this change was a price increase that was really a decrease with the deletion of the textile interior so that premium is now standard. It is what people have been predicting all the time - raise price but include more things.

The lack of options is unusual compared to the ICE competition. But Tesla can probably get away with it just fine.

I will give my downvote for the pano. I accidently open it way more than I intentionally open it - need to change that setting If I do open it, it isn't for more than 5 minutes. There is either too much noise at speed or too much pollution coming in. Everyone has different environments and tolerance for noise.

I suspect that there's a minor change coming to the S that provides the full glass roof without the front cross member, much like the X. That can't be done with a sunroof option.

So they are likely running out of sunroof assemblies, but aren't quite ready to roll out the full glass roof.

I can't see how this is simplifying build other then taking the pamo roof away. I've just been playing with some inventory sites and it looks like 2/3 of all MS have been sold with the pano roof. Thats a big mistake unless warranty, increased costs, the supplier or something was causing a problem.

Rear facing seats - I know a few like them but I hardly ever see people talk about them, I imagine most would just go for an MX now.

The rest... the options are still there - they do carbon trim, just not on some models, they do 5 different seats, 3 colours on the non P and 2 different on the P, the wheels is hardly a issue.

Its just odd

Would never have ordered a Model S without Pano.... but after living with 2, I have zero problem with the deletion.
Styling, acceleration, ease of interface, navigation and sound system are my motivators.
Would plunk down a deposit today if a new model S was announced that improved on those areas.

I was actually kind of upset when they deleted the sunroof option, as I had been considering ordering a new P100D in advance of the tax credit change at the end of the year, and consider a sunroof to be pretty much mandatory in a high-end car. When I inquired (expecting just to lodge a complaint), the rep told me sunroofs would be available for at least a few more weeks even though they were not showing up on the web site. After some back and forth we actually found a new inventory car that worked better for me (including the wood trim I wanted) and had a discount. So I'm a happy camper (or at least I was until they cancelled the delivery time, and went completely dark regarding my P85D trade-in, but that's for a different post!)

Reactions: HankLloydRight