Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have in writing from support that I'll be getting a $1000 refund (to match the lower price now offered to EAP-only buyers)- and mine is a 2018 purchase of EAP/FSD.

Reps frequently lie and contradict each other- but given it was an official response I'll be mentioning some legal words if I don't get a check and it's certainly a lot cheaper for them to shut me up then ship a lawyer out here from CA.

(that said- I think the amount should be 3k, and the 1k offer is pretty half-assed, but it's at least better than the fake early access invite offer)

Tesla policy is to end the conversation if you use any legal language, they will send you an email address to the legal department which will in turn blow you off. Give it is shot with CS if you think I made that up as well. Pretty pointless to hire a lawyer when there are other avenues for such a small figure and a lawyer would advice you the same.

Last edited:
I calculate a ~$550 price delta from now to when I purchased my P3D in July. Please itemize your entire configuration to help us understand where the $7k figure comes from.

Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive $64,000
- Now $58,000 AND includes Performance Package that was $5k option. = $6k + $5K = -$11k

Red Multi-Coat Paint $1,500
- Now $2,500 but I would argue better paint work too (mine came with debris and water spots that took three layers of compounding and two trips to the shop after pushing tesla, and still has some debris in the paint - looks good enough but not really for a $76k car).
- Also I would not have bought red if I could have seen it in person first. To me it does not look the same as the Model S signature red, which is what I was expecting. Lack of familiarity with the product is also why I did not buy the performance package that at the time didnt say it had summer tires or if the brakes were anything but painted red = +$1K

18’’ Aero Wheels Included

Premium Interior Included

Premium White $1,500
- Now $1,000 = -$500

Enhanced Autopilot $5,000
Full Self-Driving Capability $3,000
- These two are discounted as much as $3k or $4k (who knows) for those that bought when I did but did not include these. = -$4k

-$6K, -$5k (which was refunded to me in exchange for lifetime supercharging), +1k, -$0.5k = $9.5k
and then EAP + FSD as much as -$4k leaving = -$13.5K

So best case = - $5.5K including me giving up free surcharging, and only if tesla were to stop discounting things now
Worse case = -$14.5K if I had not volunteered back free supercharging and accounting for EAP/FSD discount for early adopters that didn't buy in 4 mths ago.

Last edited:
Question for ALL:
I’m a pre-2019 buyer, Model 3 w/o EAP or FSD. I can NOW get this package for $5K. Based on changes to ordering, pricing, options over last 2 years, should I pull the trigger NOW or WAIT for another drop, which seems highly plausible? Seasoned S & X owners welcome to chime in! ALL opinions welcome!

With the sheer volume of Model 3 sales and soon model Y the cost of autopilot will definitely go down due to the amount of people ordering it. I see a sweet spot of 1500 American for autopilot with lane change and navigate on autopilot. Another 2000 for FSD, summon,traffic lights and stop signs, park etc. Regular price. I hope to see this after the first year of Model Y.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
With the sheer volume of Model 3 sales and soon model Y the cost of autopilot will definitely go down due to the amount of people ordering it. I see a sweet spot of 1500 American for autopilot with lane change and navigate on autopilot. Another 2000 for FSD, summon,traffic lights and stop signs, park etc. Regular price. I hope to see this after the first year of Model Y.
Possibly....or they could increase option pricing again, as they did in late summer, early fall last year(?) Volume with enhanced features = Potential revenues. Let’s face it, it’s a “software upgrade”. At this point, that’s a huge money maker!

Tesla policy is to end the conversation if you use any legal language, they will send you an email address to the legal department which will in turn blow you off. Give it is shot with CS if you think I made that up as well.

I actually did a few months ago when it'd been months and I hadn't gotten a refund on the overpayment on the car- and no such thing happened. Instead I got my refund.

(to be fair- I used the executive escalation button then- which does not appear to exist anymore- so maybe it's different with the level 1 CS reps vs whoever got the escalated ones).

Pretty pointless to hire a lawyer when there are other avenues for such a small figure and a lawyer would advice you the same.

...what?

I never said a thing about me needing or getting a lawyer. Why would I need one?

I said tesla would need to send a lawyer, since the amount is small enough I'd be suing in small claims court, based on the written promise from them to refund me $1000.

If they don't show up I win by default.

And since it'd likely cost them more than 1k to defend the case they'd likely just keep their original promise and pay me the 1k if I have to go that route.

Hopefully they just follow through on their promise in the first place and it's not an issue. My reply was mainly to the person who said just because they promised me the $ in writing I shouldn't count on getting it. I intend to get it, either way, as I did my previous over-payment refund.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I actually did a few months ago when it'd been months and I hadn't gotten a refund on the overpayment on the car- and no such thing happened. Instead I got my refund.

(to be fair- I used the executive escalation button then- which does not appear to exist anymore- so maybe it's different with the level 1 CS reps vs whoever got the escalated ones).

...what?

I never said a thing about me needing or getting a lawyer. Why would I need one?

I said tesla would need to send a lawyer, since the amount is small enough I'd be suing in small claims court, based on the written promise from them to refund me $1000.

If they don't show up I win by default.

And since it'd likely cost them more than 1k to defend the case they'd likely just keep their original promise and pay me the 1k if I have to go that route.

Hopefully they just follow through on their promise in the first place and it's not an issue. My reply was mainly to the person who said just because they promised me the $ in writing I shouldn't count on getting it. I intend to get it, either way, as I did my previous over-payment refund.

I stand corrected as you said from and I read to, CA does not allow lawyers to represent in small claims court. Exec escalation is different at Tesla policies have changed. If the exec escalate link is gone it is no surprise as it is being overloaded with complaints. Small claims would be the avenue and those in CA have other options which have are worse for Tesla. Tesla needs to stop being petty with small commitments and if they need to them they are in much worse shape than anyone knows.

Brother, please , elaborate on your experience. I am contemplating going in on this. Your input is valued!

Absolutely love autopilot (it's the whole reason I bought the car and I haven't regretted that for a moment), but I'm somewhat cynical that paying in advance for full self driving will be something that I'll look back on as a good decision. I don't expect to see actual features any time soon, other than what they moved into FSD that was part of EAP before.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Brother, please , elaborate on your experience. I am contemplating going in on this. Your input is valued!
I won’t tell you to buy it but I will tell you why I did.
I was in your boat and Tuesday pulled the trigger. AP/FSD.
1) I got 5k back for having stealth Performance by giving up fusc so I basically gave that back
2j I want to use it as much as possible to hopefully give Tesla feedback via telemetry data from my use
3) TACC and lane change and also upgraded hardware (hopefully)
4) summon is slick but a bit useless but a cool party trick
5) drove 200 miles yesterday/today and 90% of time used autopilot and it was nerve racking at times but I feel I’m able to use the car to its fullest potential. Almost like buy a perf but never taking it out of chill mode.
6) I have a weird feeling prices could become crazy again if FSD actually works as expected by Tesla.

Reactions: TD_alseT