Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won’t tell you to buy it but I will tell you why I did.
I was in your boat and Tuesday pulled the trigger. AP/FSD.
1) I got 5k back for having stealth Performance by giving up fusc so I basically gave that back
2j I want to use it as much as possible to hopefully give Tesla feedback via telemetry data from my use
3) TACC and lane change and also upgraded hardware (hopefully)
4) summon is slick but a bit useless but a cool party trick
5) drove 200 miles yesterday/today and 90% of time used autopilot and it was nerve racking at times but I feel I’m able to use the car to its fullest potential. Almost like buy a perf but never taking it out of chill mode.
6) I have a weird feeling prices could become crazy again if FSD actually works as expected by Tesla.
Thanks, brother! I appreciate your take!

Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive $64,000
- Now $58,000 AND includes Performance Package that was $5k option. = $6k + $5K = -$11k

Red Multi-Coat Paint $1,500
- Now $2,500 but I would argue better paint work too (mine came with debris and water spots that took three layers of compounding and two trips to the shop after pushing tesla, and still has some debris in the paint - looks good enough but not really for a $76k car).
- Also I would not have bought red if I could have seen it in person first. To me it does not look the same as the Model S signature red, which is what I was expecting. Lack of familiarity with the product is also why I did not buy the performance package that at the time didnt say it had summer tires or if the brakes were anything but painted red = +$1K

18’’ Aero Wheels Included

Premium Interior Included

Premium White $1,500
- Now $1,000 = -$500

Enhanced Autopilot $5,000
Full Self-Driving Capability $3,000
- These two are discounted as much as $3k or $4k (who knows) for those that bought when I did but did not include these. = -$4k

-$6K, -$5k (which was refunded to me in exchange for lifetime supercharging), +1k, -$0.5k = $9.5k
and then EAP + FSD as much as -$4k leaving = -$13.5K

So best case = - $5.5K including me giving up free surcharging, and only if tesla were to stop discounting things now
Worse case = -$14.5K if I had not volunteered back free supercharging and accounting for EAP/FSD discount for early adopters that didn't buy in 4 mths ago.

I know the Doc/Delivery fee has changed over the months, but I have put in what I had when I ordered my P3D back in July. Also, I have subtracted $5k from the current pricing, as this is what the Performance Upgrade Option was valued at back when the base Performance model was offered. It should either be artificially added to your configuration, or subtracted from the new comparison.

It is 100% within your rights to not like your car, but it is a disservice to Tesla in misrepresenting the pricing changes and deter new people from discovering what many people find joy in. The biggest error I see in your pricing assumption is not taking credit for the Federal Tax Subsidies. It is widely assumed by the general public that the original owner would be fully capitalizing on the full extent of the federal tax rebate. Based on the used EV market I've witnessed, no owner is re-capturing the federal subsidy. Everyone assumes the original price the owner paid was less the available subsidy. If I were to look at buying a used Model 3, I would absolutely factor in the tax subsidy the owner should have received in determining my offer.

Tesla and the general market seem to be assuming that everyone purchasing this vehicle has enough tax liability to fully utilize the tax subsidy. It seems reasonable to do so in your price comparison. Based on this, your car has a perceived value of $1,550 lost from the time you purchased it. Similar to myself, with the exception of me deciding to purchase FSD tonight for $2,000.

Speaking for myself, I utilized a local Tesla store to test drive and look at the Model S and 3. That has a cost associated with that, which people whom purchase the car at the reduced price will soon not benefit from... except, now Tesla has announced a reversal of their decision to close stores, and prices will go back up soon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 9.05.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 9.05.04 PM.png
    35 KB · Views: 69
Purchased FSD upgrade for $2k. A pretty good deal. I would have never paid $4 or $5k for the upgrade but at $2k it is a pretty fair deal in particular because it includes a new FSD computer with 10-20x the performance. Overall it should make the car safer over the long haul. Plan to keep the car for many years and eventually probably give it to one of my kids.

Just pulled the trigger $2k for FSD since I already had EAP and a software update was sent almost immediately... Either that or an amazing coincidence... Anyway update is in progress and will take longer than I will be awake tonight so I will see in the morning.

I hope they take away the increased price after delivery. If they really want the extra purchases. I think the loss of not using it is incentive enough to purchase it early.. When the car is 2 or 3 years old nobody will pay the price.

So my AP update finished yesterday and then this morning I got the Update 5.15.

I tried to use the autopilot but when i didn't the icons wouldn't turn blue like it did when I had my trial. The car wouldn't auto steer.

Is this how AP supposed to work vs EAP?

With the increasing prices on Monday do we think the features of AP and FSD will also revert? The current version of AP is obviously not worth $4000/$5000, but EAP almost was. Now FSD will be $5000/$7000? Does this mean that AP becomes EAP again so they can justify the price?