Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!! Is there a possibility of reducing weight off a Tesla???.... I'm not planning on removing my interior, but I know that will help a little bit, just curious to see if there's any aftermarket companies doing carbon fiber body panels? Thanks!

0E296938-0B3B-46E7-9638-B507662F7A14.jpeg
Trunklid from Unplugged Performance

Videos on youtube of people who have gutted their tesla and shaved off a few hundred pounds, but any benefit you gain is killed by the crazy inconvenience. One of the reasons the roads here in the US are getting chewed up, though, is that most cars weigh like double what they did in the 90s. Not something thats easily resolvable on the road maintenance/pothole issues plaguing many places. Nonetheless, there are some people who are into amateur and pro racing who are actively doing conversions, probably right now.

Modern cars are designed with weight reduction as a major concern.

To reduce weight, without taking out interior parts is a chore.

Easiest, and most effective way to reduce weight is with lighter wheels. Expensive, but perhaps the easiest.

Big problem is that if you are loosing weight to increase performance, light weight wheels that are also stronger than stock are an expensive solution.

Dump those crappy factory 20" wheels that like to bend.

Two birds with one stone.

Awesome video. I wasn't that excited about the .1 second acceleration differential, but I wonder what that car (now retrofitted with the 18" wheels) gets as far as range efficiency. Also interesting that some custom modification is required. I was kind of shocked when he claimed the car was initially designed to run on staggered wheels. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: mswlogo