Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for the input you guys have given, I've got a 2020 model y performance and the suspension is absolute crap. I switch from the 21 in to the 19in Gemini's but the ride is still pretty rough. I've tried lowering the PSI and it is somewhat bearable but not really what you would expect from a car that is this expensive.

I may go with the unplugged performance luxury coilovers versus the Redwoods just because of price difference but wanted to really see if anyone had a chance to compare the two?

The cars transition in the last 10% is not progressive. Solution is easy just drive a bit slower and very smoothly. Don't expect silky smooth transitions to oversteer, ha
Thank you all for the input you guys have given, I've got a 2020 model y performance and the suspension is absolute crap. I switch from the 21 in to the 19in Gemini's but the ride is still pretty rough. I've tried lowering the PSI and it is somewhat bearable but not really what you would expect from a car that is this expensive.

I may go with the unplugged performance luxury coilovers versus the Redwoods just because of price difference but wanted to really see if anyone had a chance to compare the two?
Have you tried turning on slip start it disables nanny featured and is way more controllable in the dry near the limit. I love it on , must be selected every time you start. Try at your own risk.

The cars transition in the last 10% is not progressive. Solution is easy just drive a bit slower and very smoothly. Don't expect silky smooth transitions to oversteer, ha

Have you tried turning on slip start it disables nanny featured and is way more controllable in the dry near the limit. I love it on , must be selected every time you start. Try at your own risk.
For me it is more about the comfort. I drive about 120 to 150 miles.

Reactions: whisperingshad

get the MPP or the KW coilover kit

Unfortunately my comments only pertain to the Redwood kit. I doubt there is anybody who would have bought two different kits and have done two change outs...

know anyone that would have two different kits I'm just asking if anyone has driven or rode in one with a different kit.
also
So I don't know anyone that would have two different kits I'm just asking if anyone has driven or rode in one with a different kit.
What type of driving do you do mostly? and what areas do you want improvement on?
redwood gt def improves on handling and smoothes out harsh bumps but as for me im hesitant to recommend redwoods just for the comfort. Esp if you mind the price difference between the UP.

If most people are like me they want to get rid of the jittery feel over broken surfaces and in my case try and get more progressive handling above 80% of the limit. To me the lower end problem show a lack of sophistication the faster stuff is unpleasant to deal with.

If most people are like me they want to get rid of the jittery feel over broken surfaces and in my case try and get more progressive handling above 80% of the limit. To me the lower end problem show a lack of sophistication the faster stuff is unpleasant to deal with.
@Yperformance Based on how the Redwood Öhlins in my M3P handle and ride, I'm extremely confident either the Sport or GT kit will address those issues very very well. Except depending exactly what you mean by "jittery," I suspect some of that is inherent to the Y chassis or suspension design/geometry and can't be fully addressed by any coilover kit (unless tuned to excessive squishy softness with terrible handling). Though that's just a guess - I have no experience with aftermarket suspension on a Y yet.

Öhlins DFV in general (on any car) seem to do an especially good job of keeping the car's weight planted and well-controlled. Now when they're setup on the firmer side, with firmer springs and damper settings, and the road moves up and down a lot, the car will move up and down with it. But it won't become unsettled or bouncy or crashy at all. It will move with the road and nothing more. The weight will stay well planted and you will stay in very good control of the car.

When it comes to sharper bumps taken at speed, the DFV part is pretty amazing in how well it handles them. It literally gets smoother the faster and harder you drive, even when the pavement gets very rough - but without losing control or becoming unsettled at all. It doesn't crash into them, nor does it float over them, it just lets the springs do their job, while keeping everything nicely taught and planted and ready to react to new inputs.

If I had to pick two words to describe Öhlins DFV - not just the Redwood kits, but any well-tuned Öhlins DFV setup - they would be planted and settled, extremely so. It feels like nothing can upset the car/suspension. Doesn't matter how tricky and uneven the road gets, or how ham-fisted my inputs are. Anything big enough to upset this suspension would be something where I'd need to stop and look for damage right away.

Besides my M3P with Redwood Sport Öhlins DFV, I'm also basing this on twice test driving a Polestar 2 Performance (comes with Öhlins DFV from the factory), and on detailed descriptions from a friend who put Öhlins DFV coilovers on his Subaru STI many years ago (the original USDM STI). He's a better and more experienced driver than me, and has an early Model 3 as his commuter car, I very much trust his driving impressions and bases for comparison. Since his 3 is just a commuter for him he's not interested in modding its suspension, but me putting Öhlins on my M3P got him thinking about refreshing his Lotus Elise suspension with Öhlins. ;) (Speaking of which, I believe Lotus at times offered Öhlins as a factory option or officially supported upgrade for some Elise or Exige models.)

One big disclaimer: With the Y's height it might never feel as planted and settled as a shorter sedan. That tall comfy seating position has a cost.

At the end of the day, I don't track my car, maybe an autocross here or there but nothing regular. I just hate feeling the stiffness of the suspension and would like it to be as close to a "softer" setup.

I may even go down to 18s if it means a softer ride, the 2020 MYP suspension is harsh.

Btw I have zero experience with any MPP or KW or UP suspensions, on any cars. I can't make comparisons with them. From everything I've read I'm confident they'd all be a major upgrade over stock Y or 3 suspension, and the price difference vs Redwood Öhlins is significant. Of them, if I couldn't budget for Öhlins I probably would've gone for the MPP Sport kit for my M3P.

The new Öhlins R&T kit for the 3/Y brings down the price difference though for getting Öhlins DFV on these cars. Not as nice as Redwood's own kit but still very much a quality suspension. From the specs it's tuned on the firmer, sportier side - after all it is for road "Road and Track" use. So if you want more comfort focus it's probably not the ticket, but if you're more focused on handling it should be a great option at its price point.

Edit: Someday I'd love to meet up with other modded Model 3 and Y owners and exchange test drives of our different setups, just for fun, and then we could all share our impressions about how they differ in feel, for those who haven't upgraded their suspension yet and are struggling to decide between the options.

Last edited:
Here's a comparison I find interesting. My wife and I have an air suspension Model S P85, in addition to our M3P. Both are currently on 245/45 tires on 8.5" wide wheels, the S on all-seasons, the M3P on "max performance" summer tires with more grip and stiffer sidewalls.

With the M3P Öhlins damper settings I've been using for my wife, if you drive both cars casually straight down a nasty torn up city street...the air suspension S is smoother to me, without a doubt. It's not the smoothest air suspension ever but it's good and it has that nice premium air ride quality I've never felt from any coil spring suspension. Plus the S has more suspension travel than the 3, which helps over really nasty stuff.

After my wife took her first extended drive (solo) in the M3P since the Redwood Sport Öhlins + MPP FLCA bearings upgrades, with the last section being 40-50 miles of twisties of wide ranging pavement quality, she made an unsolicited comment over video chat calling it "smoother than the old car" (our S).

She doesn't like talking cars, nor does she ever mince words or tell me anything nice just to be nice. ;) So she really meant it. Driven that way, in a quick pace over challenging conditions, it was literally a smoother experience than the air suspension Model S. Take that as you will.

• Informative
Reactions: mdsco
Here's a comparison I find interesting. My wife and I have an air suspension Model S P85, in addition to our M3P. Both are currently on 245/45 tires on 8.5" wide wheels, the S on all-seasons, the M3P on "max performance" summer tires with more grip and stiffer sidewalls.

With the M3P Öhlins damper settings I've been using for my wife, if you drive both cars casually straight down a nasty torn up city street...the air suspension S is smoother to me, without a doubt. It's not the smoothest air suspension ever but it's good and it has that nice premium air ride quality I've never felt from any coil spring suspension. Plus the S has more suspension travel than the 3, which helps over really nasty stuff.

After my wife took her first extended drive (solo) in the M3P since the Redwood Sport Öhlins + MPP FLCA bearings upgrades, with the last section being 40-50 miles of twisties of wide ranging pavement quality, she made an unsolicited comment over video chat calling it "smoother than the old car" (our S).

She doesn't like talking cars, nor does she ever mince words or tell me anything nice just to be nice. ;) So she really meant it. Driven that way, in a quick pace over challenging conditions, it was literally a smoother experience than the air suspension Model S. Take that as you will.
I know the M3 will be smoother as it's not as high up, but this is a great comparison!

Great observations thanks, as to mass I doubt that the center of gravity is much higher as so much weight is in the pack. The driving position is higher to body weight is elevated. The overall mass is about 10% up so that does not help. I must says is a hell of a car with all things considered I think MMP said it was only giving away about 2secs a lap at Laguna S to their modded MYP . I just love modding it's my hobby. Would love to know how the cheaper KW kit will compare and difference between GT and Sport kit

the wheelbase of the Y is pretty short so I think there is some things working against us. I have the GT and love it. The faster you go the smoother it is. On an open stretch highway I hit 100mph and it was just absolutely smooth as butter. It's a tradeoff, slow driving thru a bumpy alley it still jumps around a bit, but on the freeway it's perfectly smooth. If i soften it up for the bumpy alleys, it gets a bit bumpier on the freeway.

Currently I have the fronts at 22 and the rear at 23. I'm still playing around with it, but definitely put your tires at 39psi.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
I agree with the above, you end up with a smoother ride, but you do hear the suspension work at lower speeds (10-20 mph) going over speedbumps - it is a whooshing sound, my wife describes it as an old jalopy sound. There are no clicks or other mechanical sounds. The whooshing sound increases as you open the damper valves further. As an overall compromise, I have my valves set at 22 Fronts and 19 Rear.

I installed the Redwood GT suspension upgrade on my 2022 model Y LR with 19" wheels. My goal was a softer ride, at original height.

For the rear, I did not replace the springs and just replaced the shock absorber. I did this to maintain load carrying capacity of the vehicle, while maximizing range of motion of the shock/spring assembly. This approach only works if you are willing to live with the existing height. Redwood's (as well as all other vendors) spring assembly enables height adjustment of the vehicle, but requires some of the space to do that.

For the front, I replaced the entire assembly with Redwood's unit. I was able to set the height at the original settings. Once complete, I don't think we altered the alignment of the car (I have not taken it in yet for alignment - I will do so as a check.)

For comparison, I also own a 2022 Model X. So here are my opinions: (I am using a subjective scale of 0-100, where 0 represents the original Y, and 100 represents the Model X - It would be my goal to achieve a 100.)
  • Reducing the cold tire pressure to 36 all around improves the ride of the Y by about 5 to 10 %. In particular, the higher frequency bumps are better absorbed - This improvement is still true even after the suspension upgrade.

• I have 6000 miles on the Y now and I can say the suspension softens with break in. This adds another 10% of improvement to the ride. Overall, with lower pressure and broken-in suspension, the car gets a score of 15, maybe 20, out of 100.

• I only have 700 miles on the new Redwood suspension; it definitely improves the ride; but there are limitations as noted above. Today, I would say the car gets a score of 50 to 60 out of 100. I might be able to improve that slightly, but I think that is generally as close as 100 as I will get.
Would I upgrade the suspension, knowing what I know?
  • Redwood's product is top of the line - the fit and finish is superb. (And I can't comment on the competitors)
  • It is a very expensive upgrade.
  • It definitely improves the ride.
  • I am on the fence on recommending it... I think it depends on how important a smoother ride is to you, versus how deep your pockets are, versus the difficulty and side effects that come with changing out the suspension.
  • By the way, if you are into lowering or racing your car - then I would definitely recommend this kit - As you can really tune the car to what you want.
Thank you for your comparison to the Model X specifically. I'm a current Model Y owner considering purchasing a Model X because I absolutely hate the Model Y ride quality (love the rest of the car).

Does the Model X have a smooth, compliant suspension good for highway cruising or is it still fairly sporty?

I'm cross shopping with MB eqs and BMW iX.

Thanks

Thank you for your comparison to the Model X specifically. I'm a current Model Y owner considering purchasing a Model X because I absolutely hate the Model Y ride quality (love the rest of the car).

Does the Model X have a smooth, compliant suspension good for highway cruising or is it still fairly sporty?

I'm cross shopping with MB eqs and BMW iX.

Thanks
X is a very good ride. We have 60,000 miles on our 2017 X, including driving across the USA. The 2022 X is slightly better and also slightly quieter.

The X is much more sophisticated than the Y in many ways (not just suspension.)

I don't have an opinion in comparison to BMW or MB.

the wheelbase of the Y is pretty short so I think there is some things working against us. I have the GT and love it. The faster you go the smoother it is. On an open stretch highway I hit 100mph and it was just absolutely smooth as butter. It's a tradeoff, slow driving thru a bumpy alley it still jumps around a bit, but on the freeway it's perfectly smooth. If i soften it up for the bumpy alleys, it gets a bit bumpier on the freeway.

Currently I have the fronts at 22 and the rear at 23. I'm still playing around with it, but definitely put your tires at 39psi.
Compared to most cars, the wheelbase of the MY is not short at all. It's maybe a bit above average for the size of the vehicle. The issue is not the car's wheelbase. The issues are poor components and poor design on Tesla's part.

... I have the GT and love it. The faster you go the smoother it is. On an open stretch highway I hit 100mph and it was just absolutely smooth as butter. It's a tradeoff, slow driving thru a bumpy alley it still jumps around a bit, but on the freeway it's perfectly smooth. If i soften it up for the bumpy alleys, it gets a bit bumpier on the freeway. ....
When you say it gets bumpier o the freeway or bumpy alleys, is it still better than the stock suspension no matter what the setting?