Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Supercharging miles extended!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, only extended 1 month.

Maybe if states continue with lockdown / stay at home orders, and if Tesla's factory remains closed through May, then maybe they'll extend it another month. It doesn't sound like they're going to be generous and give everyone a lot more leeway than that.

CONFIRMED !

Mine expired June 23rd 2020 when I went to the Supercharger this weekend to start using them up.

I just now checked the app and it say July 23rd 2020.

Anything is better than nothing, even if it’s only a month.

I had a couple day trip road trips planned for April and May to use up my ~900 superchargers miles. Mainly nice drives into a city ~3 hours away from me to catch an IMAX show and dinner or science center or something... obviously that was all canceled because of COVID...

While 1 month is nice... it’s really not what I expected. I was fully expecting just a flat 6 months tossed on or something. I hope Musk is more generous with these... the cost to the company can’t be very much but could generate a huge amount of good will to existing owners.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
I had a couple day trip road trips planned for April and May to use up my ~900 superchargers miles. Mainly nice drives into a city ~3 hours away from me to catch an IMAX show and dinner or science center or something... obviously that was all canceled because of COVID...

While 1 month is nice... it’s really not what I expected. I was fully expecting just a flat 6 months tossed on or something. I hope Musk is more generous with these... the cost to the company can’t be very much but could generate a huge amount of good will to existing owners.
Just curious, why were you expecting 6 months?

Just curious, why were you expecting 6 months?

Because this probably costs Tesla very little in the long run, 6 months is one “cycle” from having a referral or how long they’re good for if you are just getting the car and used someone’s link, and other companies are being really generous. Delta is allowing change fee free on all fares purchased now for up to a year from the original date, a lot of companies are extending loyalty status (hotel, airline, rental car) but six months or a year, etc.

Just seems like six months would almost certainly cover it rather then pushing it a month at a time with the appearance of “nickel and dime” over it...

Because this probably costs Tesla very little in the long run, 6 months is one “cycle” from having a referral or how long they’re good for if you are just getting the car and used someone’s link, and other companies are being really generous. Delta is allowing change fee free on all fares purchased now for up to a year from the original date, a lot of companies are extending loyalty status (hotel, airline, rental car) but six months or a year, etc.

Just seems like six months would almost certainly cover it rather then pushing it a month at a time with the appearance of “nickel and dime” over it...

These free miles are a liability on Teslas books as long as they sit there.

Extending 1 month at a time reduces the number of times a given set of miles appears as such a liability on the quarterly results- including possibly 0 times if it only extends it from say july to august.

Extension of 6 months on the other hand insures it'll appear on the books for at least 2 extra quarters.

So it makes some sense from an accounting perspective.

Personally I'd have done 3 months simply because that is as long or longer than most anywhere will have been locked down so no worries about having to extend multiple times barring a major change, and Tesla IT tends to be fairly incompetent so asking them to make an out of band change ONCE instead of monthly leaves less chance for them to screw it up.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Tesla should eliminate any expiration, make it just like gift cards. Repealing a sales incentive because I can’t use it fast enough is not right.

Errr... lots of gift cards pretty commonly expired for a long time... (more recently they've passed laws that require them to be good for at least 5 years- so in lots of cases they instead now just charge a non-use fee after year 1). And that's on credit you acually paid money for unlike referral miles.

A better comparison is hotel and airline miles- which as mentioend earlier in the thread the VAST majority of those expire after some period of no activity (as little as 3 months in at least 1 case)

And they do that exactly for the reasons I explained- unclaimed credit is a liability on a companies books. They don't want it just hanging around forever.

Errr... lots of gift cards pretty commonly expired for a long time... (more recently they've passed laws that require them to be good for at least 5 years- so in lots of cases they instead now just charge a non-use fee after year 1). And that's on credit you acually paid money for unlike referral miles.

Unless it’s California where it can’t expire and they can’t charge you a non use fee.

A better comparison is hotel and airline miles- which as mentioend earlier in the thread the VAST majority of those expire after some period of no activity (as little as 3 months in at least 1 case)

And they do that exactly for the reasons I explained- unclaimed credit is a liability on a companies books. They don't want it just hanging around forever.

I believe most airlines and hotels have extended out like a year or more on status and point expirations though... they did that pretty quickly and have been pretty generous with that...