Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Midnight Silver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry but none of those are the correct socket. The screw is a five point male - somewhere between a Torx and Pentalobe. That set has nothing that will remove it.

Like this ... Anytime Tools 11 pc 5-POINT STAR TORX TAMPER PROOF SECURITY BIT SOCKET SET - Pentagon Socket - Amazon.com

71HcBr1jM0L._SL1323_.jpg

It appears to be more complicated than that. It is held on by two security screws. In the video, he uses a grinding tool to cut a slot in the screws and use s a blade screw driver to remove. I am not that adventurous. I read on another thread that a Gator Grip socket might work.

It's a 5 point instead of a hex - but in the head style of a Torx Plus.

I am getting samples of this screw and intend to design a custom socket that will be metal 3D printed. I'll make the file available to anyone who wants to print one up on Shapeways.com

This really annoys me.

Attachments

• image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 111
My DS in Raleigh told me that Tesla prohibits them from removing the front plate holder. Here is the quote from his email.

"1. At this time, the Model S does come standard with the front plate installed. The Model S was crash tested with this front plate installed, and therefore it is against federal regulation for us to remove, encourage, or advise you to remove this front plate bracket.

Wait, wait, so if the old MS was crash-tested without the front license plate, is it against federal regulations for local cops to encourage or advise owners to add the front plate? :cool:

Wait, wait, so if the old MS was crash-tested without the front license plate, is it against federal regulations for local cops to encourage or advise owners to add the front plate? :cool:

Sounds like BS to me. I mean seriously, does every auto manufacturer have to crash test two cars now?

Why not just have the customer sign a release form? If it were an integral part of the collision system then why make it removable?

Holy crap, FINALLY managed to get the front plate bracket off!

It took 30 minutes of bending it all around to finally snap off the screws.

Thankfully nothing broke!

It was equally hard getting the damn double stick tape mount off too! I had to use a screw driver and towel to carefully pry the thing off.

SO GLAD it's finally off though!

Holy crap, FINALLY managed to get the front plate bracket off!

It took 30 minutes of bending it all around to finally snap off the screws.

Thankfully nothing broke!

It was equally hard getting the damn double stick tape mount off too! I had to use a screw driver and towel to carefully pry the thing off.

SO GLAD it's finally off though!

Did the mounting hole areas around the screws get buggered up?

It's a 5 point instead of a hex - but in the head style of a Torx Plus.

I am getting samples of this screw and intend to design a custom socket that will be metal 3D printed. I'll make the file available to anyone who wants to print one up on Shapeways.com

This really annoys me.
I look for this file on Shapeways.com and don't see it?

Can you send me the file or upload it here?