Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S Plaid: Fog light condensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are condensation expected on the fog lights? Took delivery today, and already set up a service appointment. Anyone had experiences that the replacement fog lights do not cause condensation?

foglight1.jpg

Temperature: 68F
Dew point: 59F
Humidity: 73%

It did clear up in closed garage

I was assuming the foglight housing uses the same sealant (butyl glue) as the headlight, but was improperly enclosed and causes moisture to flow in. You think the moisture is penetrating the thinner plastic housing of the fog light directly?

You think the moisture is penetrating the thinner plastic housing of the fog light directly?
I would not say say it penetrates, but if temp. is going to fall and the moisture can’t escape quick enough from the lens then all water droplets outside will appear to have moisture evidence inside. If the difference in moisture and temp. will even out, then it should not be visible. It’s not Tesla specific, all cars face this.

Same thing has happened on Model 3 since its introduction.

This is just condensation/fog on the inside of the lens for that whole fixture. This lens is open to the elements on the back side - not sealed. It’ll clear out quickly once it gets some airflow.

The actual fog light is a sealed projector fixture behind this lens.

Last edited:
Same thing has happened on Model 3 since its introduction.

This is just condensation/fog on the inside of the lens for that whole fixture. This lens is open to the elements on the back side - not sealed. It’ll clear out quickly once it gets some airflow.

The actual fog light is a sealed projector fixture behind this lens.

Yup, my Model 3 fogs... fogged up a lot, too, - here in Seattle. The tails, too. We'll see how the new S does this season.