Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh model s repeater camera keeps popping out and breaking . 4th one so far ! Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had mobile service come 2 times . Taken it into service center and it’ll stay until it rains . Luckily it was covered by warranty . But once it rains the camera pops out and won’t stay . I’ve had it replaced 4 times already. Tried using the tape . Still won’t stick . Anyone have any other suggestions ? Tesla told me if it pops off this time (4th time ) I will have to pay for it moving forward

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 75
If it was happening to mine, I would use some strategically applied silicone adhesive to keep it in place. Silicone would make it easier to remove when needed compared to other adhesives, but would still hold it well.

It looks like you may have wrapped your car? If so, was the repeater camera removed to perform the wrap? If it was, then I can understand Tesla's position, and frankly, one could argue they've gone out of their way and responsibility to replace it as many times as they have.

If you did not wrap the car (the photo makes it look like a type of matt finish), then you might be able to make a lemon law claim. That's a pretty drastic action, but many state lemon laws state that need for 3 repair visits to resolve the same issue is justification to demand the car be replaced or bought back by the manufacturer.

It looks like you may have wrapped your car? If so, was the repeater camera removed to perform the wrap? If it was, then I can understand Tesla's position, and frankly, one could argue they've gone out of their way and responsibility to replace it as many times as they have.

If you did not wrap the car (the photo makes it look like a type of matt finish), then you might be able to make a lemon law claim. That's a pretty drastic action, but many state lemon laws state that need for 3 repair visits to resolve the same issue is justification to demand the car be replaced or bought back by the manufacturer.
I did get it wrapped . Tesla has gone out of the way to try and fix it ! But I don’t want to pay and it just pops off anyways ! This is a problem I’ve had since I received the car before I wrapped it

If you really don't want to worry about this anymore, jack up the car, take the wheel off, remove the fender liner, and add dabs of silicone adhesive to the back of the repeater's hold down clips from the inside of the fender, and you'll be able to sleep easy at night forever. If anyone needs to remove the camera, the adhesive can easily be pulled off from the inside to release the camera.

Last edited:
I did get it wrapped . Tesla has gone out of the way to try and fix it ! But I don’t want to pay and it just pops off anyways ! This is a problem I’ve had since I received the car before I wrapped it

Before you had the car wrapped, were the mounting tabs on the camera breaking the same way they are breaking today? If yes then the mounting hole was cut wrong. Tesla needs to fix that.

Was the camera actually replaced (i.e. on the invoice) or did they just reinstall it each time? If reinstalled, it could be a broken/cracked tab on the camera housing - perhaps hard to see. As it is hanging out, you might look at the plastic carefully for a crack or broken tab. These really should be well-locked into place.

Was the camera actually replaced (i.e. on the invoice) or did they just reinstall it each time? If reinstalled, it could be a broken/cracked tab on the camera housing - perhaps hard to see. As it is hanging out, you might look at the plastic carefully for a crack or broken tab. These really should be well-locked into place.
Tabs are not broken currently . Tesla broke one trying to install it the 2nd time

If you really don't want to worry about this anymore, jack up the car, take the wheel off, remove the fender liner, and add dabs of silicone adhesive to the back of the repeater's hold down clips from the inside of the fender, and you'll be able to sleep easy at night forever. If anyone needs to remove the camera, the adhesive can easily be pulled off from the inside to release the camera.
Is there a recommended silicone adhesive ?

Is there a recommended silicone adhesive ?

Just any clear silicone adhesive that you can buy at any car parts store, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. will work great.

Doesn't have to be this brand, but here's an example:

Last edited:
This silicone needs to dry for several hours so make sure you fasten the part well for that time.

In this circumstance, the silicone will become pretty hard within less than an hour. And since it's not popping out all the time, he doesn't need to worry about securing the part. By the time he gets the fender liner back on and the car back on the ground, it will be holding pretty well.

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS