Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh model s repeater camera keeps popping out and breaking . 4th one so far ! Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had mobile service come 2 times . Taken it into service center and it’ll stay until it rains . Luckily it was covered by warranty . But once it rains the camera pops out and won’t stay . I’ve had it replaced 4 times already. Tried using the tape . Still won’t stick . Anyone have any other suggestions ? Tesla told me if it pops off this time (4th time ) I will have to pay for it moving forward

Attachments

• image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image 1.jpg
    image 1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 42
It’s been a bad design from the beginning. Mobile service tried twice with my driver side camera and each time it failed to stay flush. I eventually broke off the plastic clips and used good tape to keep it fairly secure. Tesla really needs to work on another design.

On the Model 3 it's held in by clips on the camera unit, and it basically isn't going anywhere regardless of rain.

Pictures of Model 3 cams in post here:
replacing repeater cams on model 3?

Presumably they use a similar design on Model S.

If the clips broke and they didn't replace it, it may just keep popping out. But it sounds like they replaced the camera units (or did they not do that and just popped it back in?)

Other possibility is the fender hole is deformed, but that doesn't seem very likely as the clips are just plastic and shouldn't be able to deform the metal enough so that they don't clip (it will break the plastic well before that can happen).

Edit, yep exact same design as Model 3, two tabs on top (easily chipped on removal as in picture):
s-l1600.jpg

A clip on the side, and on bottom (shown as top in picture; these clips easily break on removal as they have in picture):
s-l1600.jpg

USED Tesla Repeater Camera Turn Signal RIGHT PASSENGER SIDE 1495865-20-C | eBay

Last edited:
The Refresh S uses side repeaters with two clips each (fore and aft). They certainly can be finicky to seat and clip in.

I suggest removing the rear and side trim panels (they simply pull up and unclip) from the frunk. This will allow you to see the back side of the repeaters and verify if they clips are #1 intact and if so #2 if they are fully engaged behind the fenders sheetmetal.