Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X HVAC Noise in cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Redresh X makes vibration/buzzing sound when HVAC is on in cold weather. I figure it is the heat pump but it can’t be “normal” it’s pretty obtrusive. Wondering if I am the only one. Thx….

I noticed my Y noise slightly louder it was 1 deg in Chicago

Before that heat pump was very quite so all depends what you call loud

I only notice when I turned off music otherwise I could not tell heating is on

I believe EV heat pump works differently to ICE

I noticed my Y noise slightly louder it was 1 deg in Chicago

Before that heat pump was very quite so all depends what you call loud

I only notice when I turned off music otherwise I could not tell heating is on

I believe EV heat pump works differently to ICE
An ICE vehicle doesn’t have a heat pump. It uses heat generated by the internal combustion engine.

Reactions: brainhouston
I don't think u understand how heat pump works... it has nothing to do with your front motor...
on that subject, ur front motor can only spin as fast as ur car is going :)
I don’t think you understand how Tesla work.

See figure 3

I don’t think you understand how Tesla work.

See figure 3
I don't think you're either, no offense...
Heat pump is creating the noise not the drive motor. The clue is in the name "pump" :)

• Disagree
Reactions: NevG
See my link. It’s spinning to generate heat, to ultimately heat the cabin and / or battery.

It doesn't spin. It runs electricity through the stator inefficiently to make it generate heat without turning the motor. The same thing happens during supercharging preconditioning - the stator is being used less effectively to create waste heat - probably slightly off sync with the rotor.

well kinda... its inefficient but clever
i don't know the full system with heat pump but im guessing maybe its used for backup heat?.. like auxiliary heat on home heat pumps?..
does anyone know if these new heat pump systems have cabin/battery PTC heaters?

well kinda... its inefficient but clever
i don't know the full system with heat pump but im guessing maybe its used for backup heat?.. like auxiliary heat on home heat pumps?..
does anyone know if these new heat pump systems have cabin/battery PTC heaters?
as a system it's definitely more efficient than the resistive cabin heater.

I can explain the new Tesla thermal systems as best as I can:
1. All thermally managed objects are connected together (Motors, Battery, Cabin, Environment via Heat Exchanger/Radiator/Evap/Condenser/whatever you want to call it). This is the purpose of the octovalve, and it's predecessor, the super bottle.
2. When heat is required by an object - that heat is pulled from other objects and the environment, until reaching the lower limit of the heat-giving objects. then when the heat being pulled from the environment is longer sufficient, the auxiliary heaters, aka the motor stators will start to generate heat.
3. Same thing when cooling is called for by an object, except most of the time, the heat is dumped into the environment as it's easier to dump heat than it is to "dump cold"
4. So, this leads to situations like - heat pump is used to cool the battery in extreme heat, the battery running closer to the lower limit of temperature in colder weather - which leads to reduced regenerative braking at the same temperature when compared to pre-heat pump cars.

this is why there is no need for a dedicated aux heater like a resistive heater.

actually it looks like there is a low voltage aux heater inside the cabin air system. Tesla Model Y Heat Pump Details Infrequently Discussed By The Media

Last edited:
as a system it's definitely more efficient than the resistive cabin heater.

I can explain the new Tesla thermal systems as best as I can:
1. All thermally managed objects are connected together (Motors, Battery, Cabin, Environment via Heat Exchanger/Radiator/Evap/Condenser/whatever you want to call it). This is the purpose of the octovalve, and it's predecessor, the super bottle.
2. When heat is required by an object - that heat is pulled from other objects and the environment, until reaching the lower limit of the heat-giving objects. then when the heat being pulled from the environment is longer sufficient, the auxiliary heaters, aka the motor stators will start to generate heat.
3. Same thing when cooling is called for by an object, except most of the time, the heat is dumped into the environment as it's easier to dump heat than it is to "dump cold"
4. So, this leads to situations like - heat pump is used to cool the battery in extreme heat, the battery running closer to the lower limit of temperature in colder weather - which leads to reduced regenerative braking at the same temperature when compared to pre-heat pump cars.

this is why there is no need for a dedicated aux heater like a resistive heater.

actually it looks like there is a low voltage aux heater inside the cabin air system. Tesla Model Y Heat Pump Details Infrequently Discussed By The Media

Thanks! Great links, i'll catch up on full details later but its right along what i was expecting.

Now, what does Tesla use in Refresh X, what OP was asking?

Regardless what system u have, they all use AC compressor to pump the gas (feon). Heat pump just has a fancy switching valves/modes to move heat/cold.
At very low temp levels, system has to work harder n creates more noise. I'm 99% sure its compressor noise mostly.

U can hear it fairly loud even on non-heat pump car in high ambient heat cause it has to run pretty fast/hard.

Thanks! Great links, i'll catch up on full details later but its right along what i was expecting.

Now, what does Tesla use in Refresh X, what OP was asking?

Regardless what system u have, they all use AC compressor to pump the gas (feon). Heat pump just has a fancy switching valves/modes to move heat/cold.
At very low temp levels, system has to work harder n creates more noise. I'm 99% sure its compressor noise mostly.

U can hear it fairly loud even on non-heat pump car in high ambient heat cause it has to run pretty fast/hard.
Unsurprisingly it shares a lot of the components with the Model Y - the blower motor is straight from the Model Y. I just looked it up in the EPC, the heat pump is the same part number as well. 1501256-01-M

And yes - it would have to work harder at lower temp levels. It's definitely compressor noise. I have both an X and a Y - I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel on both cars during the past snow storm here.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston