Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's everyone going to do for their new X?

I plan on a xpel stealth wrap (satin finish) over the whole car, ceramic coating and front door ceramic window tint to 25%. We also have a 2017 X in the stable in the same white exterior with 22s. Will do the same exterior treatment. Most people won't realize it is two different cars, only differences will be the chrome in the older car, wheels. If they allow a retrofit of a yoke I'm going to do that to make the driving experience similar in both cars.
How much for xpel wrap?

Fair enough, but are they building Rivians with a positive profit margin, and in a scalable fashion?

While I love Tesla’s minimalist/Nordic styling, I am CERTAIN it was not purely a styling choice. The more involved the interior (and I think Rivian is distinctly “busier” inside), the more costly to make.

I root for Rivian and all electric cars. There are serious questions remaining in my mind as to Rivian’s long term outlook. Right now they have Bezos Cash to burn.
Rivian can possibly work on the long term given it's already working to build Amazon's fleet. If they come out with a long range minivan, I hate to say it, but that's one segment that hasn't truly been considered thus far and may bring about a resurgence in that type of vehicle. The issue on that front is to make it a world-wide minivan - not just North America.

I think Rivian has good potential as it's focused on the meaty parts of the market - trucks and minivans/people transporters. Hopefully, they execute well over the next few months to scale up production and get some vehicles into owners hands.

What's clear on Tesla's side is that they don't have production up and running. The "EDDs" are nothing more than placeholders - there's nothing concrete without any clear delivery dates thus far. Tesla has to do better.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but are they building Rivians with a positive profit margin, and in a scalable fashion?

While I love Tesla’s minimalist/Nordic styling, I am CERTAIN it was not purely a styling choice. The more involved the interior (and I think Rivian is distinctly “busier” inside), the more costly to make.

I root for Rivian and all electric cars. There are serious questions remaining in my mind as to Rivian’s long term outlook. Right now they have Bezos Cash to burn.
Building supercomputers and employing a team of computer scientists to figure out how to make a car drive itself may also be baked into the cost of a Tesla (my uneducated guess is that charging consumers to pay for FSD only partially covers their R&D, but I could be wrong)

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Just found some more on Reddit!
These are totally the new 22"s. Look at the design on Tesla.com. Compared to last generation which had 10 spokes, the new generation has 5 U shaped pieces. Notice on the 22" it is more of a U shape and on the 20" it is more of a sharp V shape. In the user's previous photo it is missing the plastic outer rim.

View attachment 712120 View attachment 712121

View attachment 712122

It's good to start seeing them in different colors and not just the black test mules. I think that's a good sign of production perhaps ramping up a bit.

It's good to start seeing them in different colors and not just the black test mules. I think that's a good sign of production perhaps ramping up a bit.
Unfortunately, it wasn't just black mules - there were every single color out there.

I'm not sure if there's a way to determine what these vehicles are at this point - are VINs assigned in such a manner that it would be clear that these are mules?

Yeah 100%, these are the 22s.

I have 22s on my current X, after the 20s changed to black was wondering if I should switch on our new order, but can’t go wrong with 22s. As vain as it is, and with the range hit the X just looks best. I really have a hard time seeing how people think silver 20s look good on the X, but again to each their own.
I ordered with 20's but I fully intend to get 22's. I'm just not a fan of their new 22" design. Im going with Brixton Forged RF7 in 22"
white-tesla-model-3-brixton-forged-rf7-radial-forged-satin-black-6-1800x1201.jpg

That remains to be seen obviously. Making 1000 cars is easy and making 1,000,000 is hard

Look a few posts above yours where studio loft shows them all side by side. These are 100% the new 22s. Look really close at the different design differences, especially the ridge running along the 22s. Also you can tell just by looking at the profile of the tire.
Also, the new 22's get a new Pirelli I believe. The 20's spotted so far stick with the same old Conti LX Sport

Reactions: NHK X
Also, the new 22's get a new Pirelli I believe. The 20's spotted so far stick with the same old Conti LX Sport
Oh nice, the news ones designed for EV use? I find it interesting that in the X the delta between 20 and 22 is only ten miles while in the S the delta is much greater. Don’t really understand. I feel like in my older X with the 22s vs my loaner with exact specs and 20s the delta was more in line with what they advertise for the S. Maybe there is some special magic in these new wheels?

Reactions: Elixir

I plan on a xpel stealth wrap (satin finish) over the whole car, ceramic coating and front door ceramic window tint to 25%. We also have a 2017 X in the stable in the same white exterior with 22s. Will do the same exterior treatment. Most people won't realize it is two different cars, only differences will be the chrome in the older car, wheels. If they allow a retrofit of a yoke I'm going to do that to make the driving experience similar in both cars.
Doing similar. Xpel Steath Wrap with ceramic coating. Headlights and taillights included. Front windows tinted to match back. Aftermarket 22 inch wheels. Narrowed down to a few options. Will use the 20's as my winter set. Contemplating powder coating the rotors. Still on the fence on that one. That my current list.

Doing similar. Xpel Steath Wrap with ceramic coating. Headlights and taillights included. Front windows tinted to match back. Aftermarket 22 inch wheels. Narrowed down to a few options. Will use the 20's as my winter set. Contemplating powder coating the rotors. Still on the fence on that one. That my current list.
very nice! The stealth wrap really accentuates the curves of the vehicle.

I’m also debating doing a ceramic coat on the interior seats (kids). Seems easy enough for me to do myself, might experiment on my old X first though.

Are you planning on apply the stealth wrap yourself? Just read about it and seems really nice, especially knowing it protects the original paint.

Are you planning on apply the stealth wrap yourself? Just read about it and seems really nice, especially knowing it protects the original paint.
Haha no, I did full matte white wraps for my X and the 3 we sold… and the lesson I learned was to not do it myself again. There is a DIY wrap thread I posted some photos in.
This time will hire it out.

I’ve gotta say: I’ve had Xpel ultimate on two cars, from two different top rated shops, and I’ve been somewhat unimpressed. Both times there were obvious (small) flaws in the wrap. Bubbles, or areas that didn’t adhere due to the curvature of the car, and cutouts that were rather inexact. They used templates.
First was my Chevy Volt and now the Model Y.

I’m not a Karen so I just dealt with it. And I realize I’m detail obsessed. But when you pay literally thousands of dollars, you might expect obsession and perfection.

I’ve gotta say: I’ve had Xpel ultimate on two cars, from two different top rated shops, and I’ve been somewhat unimpressed. Both times there were obvious (small) flaws in the wrap. Bubbles, or areas that didn’t adhere due to the curvature of the car, and cutouts that were rather inexact. They used templates.
First was my Chevy Volt and now the Model Y.

I’m not a Karen so I just dealt with it. And I realize I’m detail obsessed. But when you pay literally thousands of dollars, you might expect obsession and perfection.
It's a grift

[flamesuit]