Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The access door on the front bumper gives you access to 2 cables that, when powered with auxiliary power, open the frunk. It doesn't nothing to power the vehicle in any way, it only opens the frunk.

The previous Model S/X's 12v system is powered from those leads. If you what you said was true, then all someone would have to do to open the frunk and steal everything inside it is to power those leads. I suppose they could have changed it and added an interlock that only allows those leads to open the frunk if the 12v bus has no power.

Reactions: Prairie
Your car had a different issue, what I stated are facts, I witnessed this when my 12v battery failed after 2 yrs and Tesla sent out a technician, the car was dead after I returned from vacation, my car was plugged into a wall charger in the garage and the car was locked as well as the charge port. The manual door I’ve mentioned, give you 2 leads to jump the 12v system of the car, unlock the doors, power the main computer system, unlock the charge port and in my case we drove the car up onto a tow truck, the SC then replaced the 12v.
No, as I said, the frunk is the only thing that is powered by that front bumper connection. Read the manual. It might help. Here is also a "how to" video.

mais je ne crois pas qu'il ait 5 places. Des photos pour prouver, s'il vous plait.
French apéritif is over, time to return to English for the benefit of the entire group:

Yes, I have a real 5-seat 2022 Model X LR. Cargo capacity appears to be the same as the 2018 5-seat Model X that we just traded in. Pictures are attached.

And to answer a related question: yes, it did include carpet floor mats. Both front and rear.

I have a very busy day today (unrelated to the car), but I will try to find time to write a “first impressions” post later.

Attachments

• BBFA9F1F-7A9A-49E5-8717-121331502DA4.jpeg
    BBFA9F1F-7A9A-49E5-8717-121331502DA4.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 118
  • D9C4D794-CDD8-4A73-9FA6-EA6089EAE852.jpeg
    D9C4D794-CDD8-4A73-9FA6-EA6089EAE852.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 96
  • A4CE8F99-ACDD-483A-AD26-75626DE7EBAC.jpeg
    A4CE8F99-ACDD-483A-AD26-75626DE7EBAC.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 13C2FF2B-655D-443D-8BCE-769480557712.jpeg
    13C2FF2B-655D-443D-8BCE-769480557712.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 91
  • 3B5158C4-9841-4375-ABCA-61CD761CAB3C.jpeg
    3B5158C4-9841-4375-ABCA-61CD761CAB3C.jpeg
    722 KB · Views: 86
  • CCF89F9E-B050-40F6-8F9E-C65444377133.jpeg
    CCF89F9E-B050-40F6-8F9E-C65444377133.jpeg
    918.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200732-5419-4A21-B50B-27FD6468C9B1.jpeg
    20200732-5419-4A21-B50B-27FD6468C9B1.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
My bad, Left out the step of the fascia compartment allowing the manual opening of the frunk without power, you still need access to the 12v system to power and unlock the car, you are the one who asked how to unlock a powered port without power, good luck with your car

Attachments

• 9B454667-906D-48EF-A371-D9063D39BA97.png
    9B454667-906D-48EF-A371-D9063D39BA97.png
    897.4 KB · Views: 86
I’m in the same situation you are, but had not noticed the increase in the cream interior price. I have been on the phone with Tesla twice today because I am changing to a home delivery. I was told I needed to pay in full before they would schedule the carrier, but the final price shown in the Tesla app did not include the $2000 credit. Now I have been told that I just have to pay within 48 hours of the scheduled delivery by the carrier and that the credit will be reflected then. I’d appreciate if you would come back and let me know what happens to the $2000 credit plus the interior price. My model X is coming in to the Decatur Georgia store on March 28 and then being shipped to Florida where I live now, so it could take a week or two. Oh shoot, I just realize they are going to want to be paid before the end of the quarter. I am anticipating a few more phone calls will be required.

Jimbob909 replied to me as follows:
My pre-refresh credit showed up a couple days before delivery on one of the links to complete payment (I didn't pay til I see the car) before delivery, it lists the details, costs and total and shows the $2,000 credit. Gook luck. I pick mine up tomorrow.

Today: 3/27/2022: I received a call from my local delivery center. They credited my account for $2000+tax+DMV fees. As I already paid my down payment, they just applied it to the loan balance, resulting in smaller monthly payments. When the lady called, she had already applied 75% of it towards the loan, she was asking me about the remaining 25% ($500+)... I personally did not care as to the refund process, and the path of least resistance was to apply it towards the loan balance. I asked about the extra $500 charged for the cream interior - the answer is too bad. (all inclusive in the $2000 price reduction).

Lady confirmed that car is at delivery center, with 10 miles on it. Inspection to be completed tomorrow (YIKES!!! cross all fingers and toes!!! )... Delivery still scheduled for Tuesday, 3/29.

My bad, Left out the step of the fascia compartment allowing the manual opening of the frunk without power, you still need access to the 12v system to power and unlock the car, you are the one who asked how to unlock a powered port without power, good luck with your car
Uh, what? I'm not following this. We ALL KNOW that you can unlock the charger cable if the car has power... you are giving instructions on how to get power to the car. I'm just pointing out that WITHOUT POWER, you can't unlock it. Obviously if you don't have power and you jump it you can get it to unlock, because you have applied power to the system. So, what is the point of this argument you are trying to make?

It's one of those things that makes dealing with problems that much harder. I needed to tow the car but I couldn't unplug it from the wall. I don't want the tow truck guy to rip the car charger off while driving out of the driveway so it needed to be disconnected. But unlike most cars, Tesla has no manual "unpowered" ways to do much of anything. So your car is a total brick without power. That is the problem. In most cars, you can still get in and put it in neutral if your battery is dead, because you have an actual key. Tesla has gotten rid of so many logical things, and this is one of them. Even jumping the car requires an additional step beyond most other cars, you have to get the frunk open first. On most cars, you unlock the door and manually release the hood to get access to the battery. But on a Tesla you need electricity just to open the frunk when you have no power in order to get power to the battery.

Last edited:
For those who have had previous Model X’s:

At what point did you change tires for the 20 inch wheels?

At what point did you change tires for the 22 inch wheels?

I’m trying to gauge average tread life for each wheel option.

Thanks.
Fairly easy driver, with 60-80% freeway miles: Fronts replaced at approx. 35,000 miles, Backs replaced at approx. 42,000 miles

• Informative
Reactions: Jbell
Uh, what? I'm not following this. We ALL KNOW that you can unlock the charger cable if the car has power... you are giving instructions on how to get power to the car. I'm just pointing out that WITHOUT POWER, you can't unlock it. Obviously if you don't have power and you jump it you can get it to unlock, because you have applied power to the system. So, what is the point of this argument you are trying to make?

It's one of those things that makes dealing with problems that much harder. I needed to tow the car but I couldn't unplug it from the wall. I don't want the tow truck guy to rip the car charger off while driving out of the driveway so it needed to be disconnected. But unlike most cars, Tesla has no manual "unpowered" ways to do much of anything. So your car is a total brick without power. That is the problem. In most cars, you can still get in and put it in neutral if your battery is dead, because you have an actual key. Tesla has gotten rid of so many logical things, and this is one of them. Even jumping the car requires an additional step beyond most other cars, you have to get the frunk open first. On most cars, you unlock the door and manually release the hood to get access to the battery. But on a Tesla you need electricity just to open the frunk when you have no power in order to get power to the battery.
Maybe I am missing something in this conversation, but here are some instructions from the Model X owner's manual (and I personally used this in my 2017X):

Manually Releasing Charge Cable​

If the usual methods for releasing a charge cable from the charge port (using the charge handle release button, touchscreen, or mobile app) do not work, carefully follow these steps:
  1. Ensure that Model X is not actively charging by displaying the charging screen on the touchscreen. If necessary, touch Stop Charging.
  2. Open the rear trunk.
  3. Pull the charge port's release cable downwards to unlatch the charge cable. FIND THE REST OF THESE instructions IN THE MANUAL...
Also, here is how you open the FRUNK, after opening it, the idea is for you to access the 12V battery and give it a boost or replace it... to allow reenergizing all computers / relays... etc...:

Opening Hood with No Power​

In the unlikely event that Model X has no low voltage power, you will be unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen, key fob, or mobile app. To open the front trunk in this situation:
Note
The following steps do not open the front trunk if Model X is locked and has low voltage power.
  1. Locate an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter).
  2. To remove the tow eye cover, insert a small, flat screwdriver into the top and bottom slots, release the snaps and pull the cover towards you.
FIND THE REST OF THESE instructions IN THE MANUAL... (I understand that a small 9V battery will do the trick to energize the release).

• Informative
Reactions: JBTMX
Anyone else wonder if the transition to the AMD chip has anything to do with these latest issues? I'm not sure of everything that changed during the refresh, but I know they switched to the AMD processor. I don't recall seeing these complications with the new pre-refresh X's (2019-early 2020).
I have the AMD processor on my 2022 Y - it has not exhibited any unusual behaviors - have rebooted only a couple of times over 10 weeks and 4500 miles....

Sorry to be confusing, I’m simply just stating on my 2019 Model X (perhaps the refresh is different) there is a manual release (no power required) to open the frunk and gain access to the 12v system (in my case a dead 12v system), this allowed me to jump and unlock the charge port as my car was attached to the wall, from there, my car was functioning and put it on a flatbed for service.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Sorry to be confusing, I’m simply just stating on my 2019 Model X (perhaps the refresh is different) there is a manual release (no power required) to open the frunk and gain access to the 12v system (in my case a dead 12v system), this allowed me to jump and unlock the charge port as my car was attached to the wall, from there, my car was functioning and put it on a flatbed for service.
What you are saying is not confusing, it's just not relevant to what I was saying. Manually unlocking the charge port is not possible. It requires vehicle power, unless your rear hatch happens to be unlocked and open (if not, it requires power to do so). You keep telling me how to power the car to unlock it. I don't need to know how to do that. I already did it. Also, saying that the frunk release does not require power is silly, because it literally requires a power source.

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner