Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have known that Tesla prioritizes higher profit margin deliveries, and that adding FSD bumps up your EDD on the M3/MY (not MX).. but I just today noticed this verbiage above the FSD button on my MX order.

"Removing FSD will delay delivery"

View attachment 786382

Interestingly, there is only a 2% margin of deliveries in our tracking.

View attachment 786383

*Edit: But a 5% margin on VINs. The number might be too small to make a significant conclusion but the FSD prioritization may be a newer initiative.

Mine was prob. the least expensive, considering I'm pre refresh LR, 5 seat, 20" wheels and no FSD, and got my car yesterday. So, I don't believe it's all profit margin. They lost their shirt with what I paid vs current orders. AND I never called Tesla asking "where's my car....".

You know what they say… if it seems to good to be true..

Went to check out the red/black/22 MXP today. I’m pretty sure it was a field model (can’t 100% confirm), but it has what I would deem as some pretty significant paint and alignment issues. Still has the old Plaid badge. Had some odd stickers on it that said inspected on 1/20 and 1/27. Photos below for your viewing pleasure. I took more but you get the idea.

Anyway, I’m taking a pass. If it was my exact configuration I might entertain it, but I’m not paying more $$$ for a car that isn’t my perfect combo and also isn’t in great shape. Back in line!

Is this even possible? Wonder what it looked like BEFORE they fixed the alignment:
Capture.JPG

Regarding the build quality... 🤪 Day 2 revealed a lot of interesting stuff. At least, we stayed alive.

Car Issues

We've decided to drive in our new beautiful car to Pinnacles National Park. Just when we arrived, the rear camera showed a frozen image. It displayed a car at its remote position when it was actually right behind! The side cameras turned pitch black. That was an ominous sign, but I couldn't even imagine how far it would go. In a few minutes, the situation deteriorated dramatically. The car started signing a constant song of errors. Among them were:

1. Brake system fault. Contact Tesla immediately.
2. Parking brake fault. Undocumented indicator light.
3. Air suspension fault.
4. Parking brake fault notifications that appeared every few seconds.
5. Flashing instrument light indicators.
6. The side cameras remained pitch black.
7. The rear camera was showing outdated images.
8. Music stopped playing and signed out from Spotify on its own.

View attachment 786556

Customer Support Issues

As you may guess, there was no cellular connection in the park. So, I climbed on a nearby summit and got the connection there. Then contacted the signature Tesla Roadside "Assistance". And this is what they told me:

1. "It's safe to drive with the brake system fault." Seriously??? The same indicator light shows up for the leaking brake fluid. And you know how this can end up.
2. They didn't know how to reset the car. I could just talk with squirrels in the park instead.
3. They kept switching me to the customer support that didn't work on Saturday evening despite me asking them not to do so because this just ended the calls. I had a strong impression that I was talking with a Tesla Bot and not with a sentient human.

AutoPilot Issues

Thanks to the help of my friends, I was able to reset the car, and all errors were gone. Though this doesn't resolve the issue in general because likely all these errors originated in the malfunctioning computer hardware. It would be really hard to convince Tesla to replace one - they just kept resetting the car every time this sh*t repeats. And that makes me sad.

Thinking about all this, I've decided to try the newest best-in-world AutoPilot with all the features turned on. And this is what I experienced:

1. The car wasn't holding the line on sharp curves on a highway. It starts and ends turning late. Once it even moved through the yellow double line to the opposite line with heavy traffic. This was definitely unsafe. Have you experienced the same? I think we must report this behavior to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to make sure it gets fixed.
2. The car wasn't reducing a high speed before a very sharp curve with zero visibility. It was just trying to fly onto the field.
3. The car was slowing down after slowing down cars and before stop signs too late, and it had to brake hard because of that. It completely ignored signs that announced the stop signs.
4. There were lots of phantom braking. Once about every 10 miles or so.
5. Once on the perfectly marked road after passing a traffic light, it showed a red line crossing the road and started beeping violently despite me pushing the accelerator because nothing was wrong with the road at all. I'm glad it didn't apply an emergency brake at least. This was very unpleasant.
6. AutoPilot disengaged several times during that very short trip.

Navigation on AutoPilot Issues

It took the whole day to understand how to turn on the Navigation on AutoPilot Issues. Better I didn't figure this out! Please keep in mind that I set the line switching policy to "Mild" - not "Drunk Mad Max":

1. At some moment, it suggested switching the line about 20 times in a minute. It was giving these suggestions every few seconds and then canceling them in a second.
2. It suggested to pass immediately after in suggested to leave the passing line.
3. It suggested passing a car driving at 75 mph when the target speed was set to 75 mph.
4. It did not suggest passing a car driving at 60 mph when the target speed was set to 75 mph. When it accelerated to about 75 mph - yes, it suggested passing it!
5. The suggestions for exiting the freeway were too late. They started at just a fraction of a mile! I had to intervene and left the freeway at the last second.
6. The suggestions to change the line do not show to which side. Later, I noticed a flashing shape to the side of the car, but I don't find this solution convenient because often it fades out at the moment of looking on the screen.

Overall, I found the Navigation on AutoPilot completely non-functional. Does it work that bad for you too? Will it get better after being approved for FSD Beta?

Computer System Issues

When I needed it the most, I couldn't even read the Owner's Manual. It was displayed in black font over the back background. Does anyone know, when Tesla dissolved their customer support department, did they do the same with their quality assurance engineers? After a short trip, I found the following issues with the computer system:

1. The Owner's Manual isn't readable on the Dark Mode.
2. The car doesn't store the position of the tilted mirrors. I've tried to tap on a dedicated Save button and to save the profile. Nothing worked - they kept resetting to an absolutely unusable position every time I switched to reverse.
3. A flash drive can't be used for Sentry and music at the same time. When a flash drive has two partitions - one for Sentry and one for music - it's being recognized only after several attempts. Such instability in a car is highly concerning... The issue has been known for years, and Tesla doesn't seem to be interested in doing anything about it. No music was recognized on the music partition on the flash drive with two partitions. Other people tell that this works most of the time, though not always. For me, it's never worked.
4. Spotify often showed "Loading". I had to switch it to another service and back to make it work again.

Everything described happened during a short 4-hour trip. I'm afraid to think what else awaits in longer trips... :(

The only thing I'd fear more than this happening to me when I pick up my new MXP is for the SC to say it's normal or no problems found. Then you'd literally be riding around in a ticking bomb.

1648401836543.jpeg

You know what they say… if it seems to good to be true..

Went to check out the red/black/22 MXP today. I’m pretty sure it was a field model (can’t 100% confirm), but it has what I would deem as some pretty significant paint and alignment issues. Still has the old Plaid badge. Had some odd stickers on it that said inspected on 1/20 and 1/27. Photos below for your viewing pleasure. I took more but you get the idea.

Anyway, I’m taking a pass. If it was my exact configuration I might entertain it, but I’m not paying more $$$ for a car that isn’t my perfect combo and also isn’t in great shape. Back in line!
If they touchup that painted area and fix that FWD, someone is going to get a nice looking vehicle. From the images I've seen it's not too bad IMO.

There is manual access door for the 12v system on my 2019 Model X that allows for you to attach and jump the 12v system, the door is located in the corner of the recessed portion of the fascia on the front bumper. Pop that door off and you can open doors, power the on board system, drive the car etc.
Firstly, I specifically said there is no manual option to unlock the charger cable without power. Then you are explaining how to power the car to do it. So, yeah. But what you said isn't true anyway. I assume you haven't actually done this or you would know. The access door on the front bumper gives you access to 2 cables that, when powered with auxiliary power, open the frunk. It doesn't nothing to power the vehicle in any way, it only opens the frunk. After you get the frunk open you have to remove the trim under the windshield to get access to the 12v battery that powers the actual car. Once you get that powered with auxiliary power, you have limited functions, at least in my case. The doors unlocked and I could open them and unplug the charging cable. But power was so low I could do very little else. The screen turned on after a few minutes but I could not put the car in drive or neutral, I couldn't put it in tow mode or raise the suspension or turn off auto-level, or anything else that the owners manual says to do if you need to be towed. And I was on 80% charge at the time.

with your luck, you sell it after fixing it, then the new owner drives it with no problems like forever.
I think that is extremely unlikely. If a problem as significant as this, total power system failure happens on day 4 with 130 miles on it, odds are that this car will continue to have problem after problem going forward. I think over the next couple of years we will be seeing just how terrible these cars are built with all of the problems that arise. I have never had a new car, but I've had plenty of used ones and so far they are all out performing this car on reliability, that should say something. If I were the only person with this issue, then I'd say it's just bad luck. But there are others like me having the same issues and I suspect many many more to come. The cars are still brand new and we don't know what gremlins lie in wait inside it.

I think that is extremely unlikely. If a problem as significant as this, total power system failure happens on day 4 with 130 miles on it, odds are that this car will continue to have problem after problem going forward. I think over the next couple of years we will be seeing just how terrible these cars are built with all of the problems that arise. I have never had a new car, but I've had plenty of used ones and so far they are all out performing this car on reliability, that should say something. If I were the only person with this issue, then I'd say it's just bad luck. But there are others like me having the same issues and I suspect many many more to come. The cars are still brand new and we don't know what gremlins lie in wait inside it.
Anyone else wonder if the transition to the AMD chip has anything to do with these latest issues? I'm not sure of everything that changed during the refresh, but I know they switched to the AMD processor. I don't recall seeing these complications with the new pre-refresh X's (2019-early 2020).

Hi, do you guys know when fsd is available on my new model X? I bought it, but it doesn’t seem active now. I just got it yesterday.

I don't think they've started a new batch of FSD beta testers for the refresh customers since February or January when NHSTA sent a letter to Tesla and they froze enrollment (but just opened up for Canada so that freeze might be over).

If they touchup that painted area and fix that FWD, someone is going to get a nice looking vehicle. From the images I've seen it's not too bad IMO.
Like I said, I’d potentially take it if this was the configuration I wanted. But I’d be paying $6500 more (22s, red paint) for it.. which means my expectations are higher. And maybe all of our expectations should be higher anyway!

Damn, I just changed from this config (MSM/cream). It looks really good! Wife wanted white/white. Both look great, so hard to choose…
You'll be happy with White/White when you get it. The white exterior will be easier to keep clean. I really wished they had a light blue metallic. So far everyone likes the MSM. You'll have to order one for you.

Reactions: astonius
I have seen reports of cars dying after just a couple days of ownership for years now, on all different types of Tesla models. I suspect it is just some small percentage of parts that fail and take out the whole car. It is really hard to say whether this is a sign that the car will repeatedly have problems or not. I think some significant percentage of people that have catastrophic failures go on to be perfectly fine after it is fixed, but I can understand the hesitation to want to risk ending up with a lemon...

We should ask those that have gotten early model X's (signatures, 60's, 75's and 80's) and how their cars have held up. There are tons of '17s and 18 owners here also. From your wording, it appears you assume that everyone has the same line of problems that you have. No car line is perfect, but we don't need to guess how bad the car will be, since owners here can already tell us.

I'll start. My 2018 had an issue with the falcon doors early on-- it's like they were trying to twist the body in two. 30 minutes after I contacted Tesla, a flatbed was driving it to the SC. The problem was simply a faulty 12v battery. Has been stellar since then, just needing mobile service for a dead key fob or two and a remotely fixed software GPS issue. It's been one of my most reliable vehicles in decades of driving.

We should ask those that have gotten early model X's (signatures, 60's, 75's and 80's) and how their cars have held up. There are tons of '17s and 18 owners here also. From your wording, it appears you assume that everyone has the same line of problems that you have. No car line is perfect, but we don't need to guess how bad the car will be, since owners here can already tell us.

I'll start. My 2018 had an issue with the falcon doors early on-- it's like they were trying to twist the body in two. 30 minutes after I contacted Tesla, a flatbed was driving it to the SC. The problem was simply a faulty 12v battery. Has been stellar since then, just needing mobile service for a dead key fob or two and a remotely fixed software GPS issue. It's been one of my most reliable vehicles in decades of driving.
I'm specifically talking about refresh model X's. We don't know everything that changed under the "hood". We have no significant driving history of them yet. My guess is that they will be far more likely to have problems than earlier models. I hope I'm wrong. But with all of the part shortages and supply issues over the past couple of years, I bet Tesla made a ton of compromises on parts and even labor/quality control in their effort to get this car built. They were extremely late in doing so which suggests that they had a lot of issues to deal with and probably drove them to cut a lot of corners in production so they weren't even later. They are also trying some new things out in the refresh, like the 12V Lithium Ion batteries. That is likely the cause of my current problem (pun intended), or the system they have to keep it charged anyway. So we have potential for issues with things they specifically changed to "improve" the X from previous models as well as cost savings and shortcuts from legacy parts that were impacted by supply chain issues. We will be the ones to pay the price for that. Again, I hope I'm wrong. But I think we should be cautious in pointing at earlier models to predict how the refresh X will perform over time.

Last edited:
Firstly, I specifically said there is no manual option to unlock the charger cable without power. Then you are explaining how to power the car to do it. So, yeah. But what you said isn't true anyway. I assume you haven't actually done this or you would know. The access door on the front bumper gives you access to 2 cables that, when powered with auxiliary power, open the frunk. It doesn't nothing to power the vehicle in any way, it only opens the frunk. After you get the frunk open you have to remove the trim under the windshield to get access to the 12v battery that powers the actual car. Once you get that powered with auxiliary power, you have limited functions, at least in my case. The doors unlocked and I could open them and unplug the charging cable. But power was so low I could do very little else. The screen turned on after a few minutes but I could not put the car in drive or neutral, I couldn't put it in tow mode or raise the suspension or turn off auto-level, or anything else that the owners manual says to do if you need to be towed. And I was on 80% charge at the time.
Your car had a different issue, what I stated are facts, I witnessed this when my 12v battery failed after 2 yrs and Tesla sent out a technician, the car was dead after I returned from vacation, my car was plugged into a wall charger in the garage and the car was locked as well as the charge port. The manual door I’ve mentioned, give you 2 leads to jump the 12v system of the car, unlock the doors, power the main computer system, unlock the charge port and in my case we drove the car up onto a tow truck, the SC then replaced the 12v.

• Helpful
Reactions: n.one.one