Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure I see that case. It’s an option on the vehicle, typically they do not transfer to a new vehicle.
If you look back at the thread, you'll understand. The Tesla Model X in question was purchased with FSD included, and after trade-in, it was removed as Tesla is reselling the used vehicle. Why?

It's been purchased, paid in full and is a part of the car. This is not a case of a monthly subscription or an aftermarket add-on that in non-compliant. Tesla shouldn't be able to re-sell FSD at the current price to make an extra profit. If you have a sunroof option in a car that you bought - does the manufacturer take it back if they decide to resell it as part of a trade-in?

If Tesla sets this precedent, then by that same rationale, then FSD should be transferable.

I hear you but I think one of the great aspects of Tesla is just doing stuff, since they are constantly iterating.

They don’t always get it right on first try. And they are trying so many things I think they are struggling constantly to keep up with all the development needed.

But at least they TRY. They do stuff. They move the needle forward.

The issue I see is that Tesla has a certain amount of information that has questionable qualities. Should you get into an accident, can Tesla then use this information to then decide that you're at fault and refuse to compensate?

Moving the needle forward isn't the issue, it's a question on how Tesla can exploit it despite known flaws in the data it's deriving.

Reactions: focher and croman
If you look back at the thread, you'll understand. The Tesla Model X in question was purchased with FSD included, and after trade-in, it was removed as Tesla is reselling the used vehicle. Why?

It's been purchased, paid in full and is a part of the car. This is not a case of a monthly subscription or an aftermarket add-on that in non-compliant. Tesla shouldn't be able to re-sell FSD at the current price to make an extra profit. If you have a sunroof option in a car that you bought - does the manufacturer take it back if they decide to resell it as part of a trade-in?

If Tesla sets this precedent, then by that same rationale, then FSD should be transferable.
Tesla can do what ever it wants.

If you traded in a car with $10,000 wheels and they decided to take them off and sell the car for any price they wish, they did nothing wrong or unethical. They could sell the wheels or toss them. They purchased it, it’s theirs, they can do what they want.

Last edited:
How static? Monthly? Annually? Lifetime?
Should be challenged.
It’s anticompetitive
It’s the state Dept. of Insurance that dictates this. All car insurance companies have to conform to state regulations. They are forced to use traditional demographic data (again state regulated). The key indicator that most insurance companies use is credit score. It’s not anticompetitive since they all have to conform. Take it from a guy that’s worked in the industry for over 10 years.

Telematics data is considered a privacy issue, that is why CA and TX DOI disallowed it’s use.

:(. How are you liking the "old" headlights? Are they "good enough"?

Man, I hope they eventually offer us a retrofit. Especially once the feature is actually enabled on the other cars.
There is always something better on the horizon. Wait as long as you can, buy the latest technology and enjoy it. Upgrade later if necessary.

:(. How are you liking the "old" headlights? Are they "good enough"?

Man, I hope they eventually offer us a retrofit. Especially once the feature is actually enabled on the other cars.
i've had many teslas but none of them have had matrix lights so I wouldn't notice anyway.

I haven't driven it at night yet

I have 100 miles to log any issues in service so driving it sparingly until i wash it by hand and clay and ceramic so i can check for paint defects.

I have a list of 5 minor issues already. Maybe I'll make a video of it

One thing that I'm surprised hasnt been mentioned yet is the combination of the yoke with the giant windshield. I've had 2 model Xs in the past but havent driven one in over 1+ years. But man..the yoke and lower dash combined with the windshield makes it feel like you have are even more of a cockpit than before. At least from what I remember. Maybe going from X to X isn't as drastic.

I have a list of 5 minor issues already. Maybe I'll make a video of it
Please do. Our cars are likely "siblings" (what's the SN part of your VIN? I have a 3399xxx), so it would be helpful to see what issues you had.

One thing that I'm surprised hasnt been mentioned yet is the combination of the yoke with the giant windshield. I've had 2 model Xs in the past but havent driven one in over 1+ years. But man..the yoke and lower dash combined with the windshield makes it feel like you have are even more of a cockpit than before. At least from what I remember. Maybe going from X to X isn't as drastic.
Yeah, I only sat in the one I rejected, and I completely agree. It's quite a different, commanding feeling. Even compared to the Model 3 that I've driven.

Please do. Our cars are likely "siblings" (what's the SN part of your VIN? I have a 3399xxx), so it would be helpful to see what issues you had.

Yeah, I only sat in the one I rejected, and I completely agree. It's quite a different, commanding feeling. Even compared to the Model 3 that I've driven.
My vin is 396XX. Apr end date window. No update after that

Reactions: StrayTexel
I am of 2 minds about dropping the charger. On the one hand, it is a valuable accessory. On the other hand, we are on our third Tesla that came with a charger I can say we have never used any of them. Similar story for the X tow receiver. I took it out of the trunk on day one and put it back in the trunk on the day I turned in the car.
I feel they should include the charging cable and offer $400.00 rebate if YOU opt not to take it. As the mass market gets into Tesla it wouldn’t be their 2nd or 3rd but their first. They may keep the car for 5-8 years. Maybe Tesla should focus on finishing their refreshes before focusing on cutting costs. As for owning several, think about donating one to a new owner who doesn't have one... or sell it on Facebook Market Place, Craiglist ect...

Unintended acceleration has been disproven on every single occasion. @wk057 had a lengthy investigation where he basically proved it is literally impossible
Wasn't there an experiment where drivers were put under severe stress, resulting in them pressing and holding the accelerator, instead of releasing pressure and pressing the brake? The key detail was that these drivers stated (vehemently) that they pressed the brake, but somehow the action of moving the foot to the brake pedal wasn't performed.

I think I heard this during a class in college, but I don't remember all the details. I do remember the next speaker very clearly; he implanted a memory in about 1/3 of all students during class, to show the 'fragility of the human memory'.

EDIT: I found Malcolm Gladwell reiterating the point, not sure if he quotes the study.

I put the Weathertech mats from my 2014 S into my current X and will probably put the same mats into my new Plaid when it (soon😉) arrives. We live on a privately maintained street that liberally spreads sand at the first hint of snow and doesn’t do a cleanup until Spring. So, I use them vice the custom Lloyd mats during the sanding. (Worst damage to any rug is sand which grinds away at the fibers each time you activate the granules by stepping on them.)
The Weathertech mats don’t look great but they do the job. I was pleasantly surprised that the S mats fit pretty good into the X.

Ha! Not in California, where Tesla (or any other insurer) is not permitted to use such things to determine rates.
That's good to know. I have never owned a Tesla before but is there Tesla insurance in California? I haven't shopped around for rates yet to see how much it would cost to insure the X when it (ever) comes.........

I noticed you are located in the Bay Area and ordered a 7 seater 3 months before me. GOOD LUCK to you! If you have any movement with your EDD, that means I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!

It’s the state Dept. of Insurance that dictates this. All car insurance companies have to conform to state regulations. They are forced to use traditional demographic data (again state regulated). The key indicator that most insurance companies use is credit score. It’s not anticompetitive since they all have to conform. Take it from a guy that’s worked in the industry for over 10 years.

Telematics data is considered a privacy issue, that is why CA and TX DOI disallowed it’s use.
Unfortunately regulations getting in the way of innovation.

Anticompetitive in the sense that nobody is allowed to try a competing idea outside proscribed bounds based on ideas from the past.

Privacy should be an individual’s choice. If I want to share my data for a better deal I should be able to.