Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would never pay for more than 800 for Ceramic coating, dont fall for the gimmick and overpay..
This.

Turtle Wax Ice Seal n' Shine topped with their Spray wax will provide comparable protection/shine compared to ceramics and are stupid easy to apply and can be had cheap @ Walmart. Or any of the other spray applications. The devil is in the details with proper paint prep which requires decontamination and polishing. Not hard but it's a bit of an investment in materials and knowledge for a first timer. When you pay a shop for ceramic you're mainly paying for their labor since it takes several hours to properly prep paint, even fresh off the show room floor.

So fresh and so clean clean :)
07522564101830682481.jpg

Last edited:
This.

Turtle Wax Ice Seal n' Shine topped with their Spray wax will provide comparable protection/shine compared to ceramics and are stupid easy to apply and can be had cheap @ Walmart. Or any of the other spray applications. The devil is in the details with proper paint prep which requires decontamination and polishing. Not hard but it's a bit of an investment in materials and knowledge for a first timer. When you pay a shop for ceramic you're mainly paying for their labor since it takes several hours to properly prep paint, even fresh off the show room floor.

So fresh and so clean clean :)
07522564101830682481.jpg

Agreed, its all about the paint correction, and not all detailers are created equal, same thing can be said for hand washes.

- its all about the paint correction, you can have ceramic or wax or whatever applied after and it'll look great.
- 2 bucket car wash system, if your detailer doesnt incorporate this into washing your coated car, then you need to find someone else that can.
- Your coatings diminishes every time you wipe, like if you were drying down a car. Recommend getting a electric leaf blower, works wonders on coated cars. Your detailer should have one as well, if they dont, then it means they are wiping it down and you should run for the hills.

If you are keen on hand washing your coated car, you can do it in 15-20 mins...

• Informative
Reactions: Elixir
It is probably because the store and lot are very crowded. If you are not trading in a vehicle, there really is very little reason for you to go to the store. In my case, I was trading in my 2018 X, so I had to go there anyway, about 10 miles for me. Most of the required paperwork was related to my trade-in vehicle. Yes, you can reject.
It's a 10 minute walk from my house to my SA in Burbank which is busy and tight spaces everywhere, so they scheduled delivery to my home, first to pick up my 2018 MX to trade with minor paperwork to sign, and to deliver the magnificent beast. The delivery guy didn't rush me one bit, and pointed out some exterior trim items he thought I should note for my SC visit to fix any issues as we walked around the car. It couldn't have been easier.

When my SA came up to fix the minor issues(wiring bulging out of the edge of a panel in the interior, alignment/balance issues of a wheel, adjusting the passenger side door opening strength and a couple other minor things), I dropped off SR-71 at 7:15pm, their appt time, and by the next morning, I had gotten a 2:30am text that my car was ready to pickup. I had gotten a big black SUV to pick me up wearing my shorts and t-shirt, sandals, via their Uber credits of $100/day, and a big black SUV to drive me the 3 minutes back to pick up my car the next morning. When he dropped me off at a huge mostly empty parking garage about a mile from the SC, it was deathly quiet except for a couple floors of Teslas all lined up and looking pretty, and the touchless instructions said to use my app to honk my car. Got in the SR-71 beast, launched, and drove home. This also couldn't have been easier. The car was there over one night and was done the next morning. Not sure I've seen service in all my years on a car quite like this.

All y'all crowing about Tesla service is garbage garbage garbage, I'm gonna flip you a big ass bird right now. It may have been for you, but not for me.

Agreed, its all about the paint correction, and not all detailers are created equal, same thing can be said for hand washes.

- its all about the paint correction, you can have ceramic or wax or whatever applied after and it'll look great.
- 2 bucket car wash system, if your detailer doesnt incorporate this into washing your coated car, then you need to find someone else that can.
- Your coatings diminishes every time you wipe, like if you were drying down a car. Recommend getting a electric leaf blower, works wonders on coated cars. Your detailer should have one as well, if they dont, then it means they are wiping it down and you should run for the hills.

If you are keen on hand washing your coated car, you can do it in 15-20 mins...
everyone who ever saw a Tesla knows that they do a crappy paint job. I was going to put satin wrap on it. Do you think I should do ceramic before wrapping?

everyone who ever saw a Tesla knows that they do a crappy paint job. I was going to put satin wrap on it. Do you think I should do ceramic before wrapping?
Generally it’s paint correction —> wrap —> ceramic. The wrap protects the paint and can add a matte finish. The ceramic makes it much easier to clean. This is what my installer did on my MYP. I take it through a carwash after a 73mi each way drive to work and it is perfect, not a single bug. And this is a $20/month auto car wash where they spray manually for like 30 sec before the wash and then hand dry for like a minute at the end. I am very happy with my wrap. Also, they did ceramic on outside/inside of wheels and brake calipers which is so nice, they look like they have been manually scrubbed clean when they haven’t.

Attachments

• 1B753A3C-D29C-4738-9255-95AA5313C65B.jpeg
    1B753A3C-D29C-4738-9255-95AA5313C65B.jpeg
    496.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 75E9C1D7-6028-4A5D-8264-58A290DB6500.jpeg
    75E9C1D7-6028-4A5D-8264-58A290DB6500.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 37107D78-71A9-4F33-A6EA-C64EC9CF661D.jpeg
    37107D78-71A9-4F33-A6EA-C64EC9CF661D.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Don't think so. The ceramic coating goes on top. The main thing is the PPF or vinyl wrap will not adhere very well to the ceramic coating.

I have had no issues with Tesla paint (except perhaps the limited color choices). I've had four.

Generally it’s paint correction —> wrap —> ceramic. The wrap protects the paint and can add a matte finish. The ceramic makes it much easier to clean. This is what my installer did on my MYP. I take it through a carwash after a 73mi each way drive to work and it is perfect, not a single bug. And this is a $20/month auto car wash where they spray manually for like 30 sec before the wash and then hand dry for like a minute at the end. I am very happy with my wrap. Also, they did ceramic on outside/inside of wheels and brake calipers which is so nice, they look like they have been manually scrubbed clean when they haven’t.
I'm getting this same color for my X and XPEL stealth wrap. That color looks incredible in stealth imo

Reactions: Jbapckfan
Around here I had a quote to get full XPEL Stealth, Tinting on all windows, and ceramic coating that was around $9k-$10k. Though that seems to be very high from what I gather.
It is very market dependent. I paid $4700 (10% discount for Tesla club members) for stealth wrap, 2 front window tint, and ceramic on whole exterior. Other places in my area were quoting $5500-6500 but the Tesla club of KC referred me to the place I used and they did a good job. An X is larger and probably a bit more difficult with the FWD so I doubt anyone would do what you’re talking about in any market for less than $6500. Doesn’t hurt to get quotes from several places.