Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve thought about that but what I need is complete sun blocking. That giant windshield, while providing an awesome visual experience like nothing else, is also a heat dome like nothing else as most of earth is sweltering right now.
I have been wrapping the top of our old Model X and the results seem well worth it so far. The AC can actually keep up with the demand now. I put insulation under some of the windows as well, including the top of the windshield. Even adding limo tint on the top part of the windshield wasn't enough, but the wraps make a huge difference. Insulation helps too.

There's a lot of glass that one can't see thru, and with the heavy black tint it sucks up heat like a sponge. A lighter color wrap helps. If you look at the tint specs a lot of the darker ones absorb way more heat than they reflect. And if they are absorbing the heat, guess where some of it goes?

We also put up a canopy to protect our MX while parked in our driveway. It seriously helps as well.

The "visual experience" does nothing for me if I'm being blinded and frying. I am no fan of pano roofs on any cars. I'm looking at the road when driving and we almost never have anyone in the back seats. I've completely covered all non-essential windows and I'm seeing what else I can do.

My parents live in Palm Desert, so I've had plenty of opportunities to test my work this summer in up to 115F heat so far and melting hot sun.

Also, we have the stock Tesla upper window shade we don't use anymore as it wasn't good enough. Maybe someone would want it.

Last edited:
Saw a new MXP at the dealer, interesting updates! Notice the rear bumper now has chrome letters, on top of the matrix headlights.
IMG_1883.jpeg
71396948104__E178E005-3732-4BDA-B427-59669EDD040B.jpeg
71396948878__656164AB-B77B-45E8-8A7E-A056BB416ACE.jpeg

Reactions: X Fan and msm859
Saw an ultra red Plaid in the pick up area at Ft Myers last week. What a sharp looking color/vehicle.

I pick up my Ultra Red LR version this week. I’ll send some pictures of the front.

Midnight grey and Ultra Red are the only colors I have considered, but I will stand firm and not pay extra for a color I cannot see while driving or when the car is sitting in the garage ;)

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
Midnight grey and Ultra Red are the only colors I have considered, but I will stand firm and not pay extra for a color I cannot see while driving or when the car is sitting in the garage ;)

Depending on where you're located and the density of Teslas there, you might want to pay extra so you have a better change of finding your car in a parking lot full of white Teslas. :cool:

Bruce.

Maybe the hw4 front radar can be used to construct a 360-view?
Perhaps, but we’ve all been waiting a while and there hasn’t been any Birds Eye views added yet. That blind spot in the front could use a camera imho. I’ve had my ‘22 MXP since July last year and I have the LiDAR sensors, I still believe that having a camera on the front bumper would be a game changer. I also believe that the side cameras should tilt down so we can see the rear tires when parallel parking so we don’t hit the curb. That would be a great software edit. The mirrors fold but I don’t like how both the driver and passenger mirror tilt. I find that unnecessary.

Perhaps, but we’ve all been waiting a while and there hasn’t been any Birds Eye views added yet. That blind spot in the front could use a camera imho. I’ve had my ‘22 MXP since July last year and I have the LiDAR sensors, I still believe that having a camera on the front bumper would be a game changer. I also believe that the side cameras should tilt down so we can see the rear tires when parallel parking so we don’t hit the curb. That would be a great software edit. The mirrors fold but I don’t like how both the driver and passenger mirror tilt. I find that unnecessary.

How do the other carmakers shield front camera(s) from mud stuff splashing from the rears of the cars in front? Even the rear is a mess in the winter.

I hit my garage door yesterday because vision told me I had 22” left. A front bumper camera would have been nice.

That’s the funny thing, isn’t it - I think we would all love a bug/feedback reporting system that worked, it would make all the current buyers feel as if they were beta testing his current cars. Sharing feedback at that scale could be incredible. Shame

🤣 We could compete for high scores a) most non duplicate bug reports/rfe:s, b) most fixed bugs/rfe:s, c) most recalls.