Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a quick follow up: I am LOVING my Model X Plaid. If you can swing it, and don’t absolutely need 7 seats, I 100% STRONGLY recommend Plaid refresh over non Plaid refresh, having owned both. I did end up (on the day of picking up my plaid X) deciding to trade in my non Plaid X because it seemed a little needless to keep it.

THE only HUGE (and I mean HUGE) issue with the Plaid is mine apparently has HW4 and FSD hasn’t been released to HW4. Right before I got my plaid X (June 12th), FSD was getting so freaking good in my non plaid X. Like, if you don’t have FSD, you have no idea.

Now in my plaid X I’m back to NOA/lane keeping and I realize just how spoiled I was. I cannot WAIT for FSD to be available in HW4 vehicles. 1st world problems I know but seriously there is no other brand that compares.
1688836936871.jpeg

As a quick follow up: I am LOVING my Model X Plaid. If you can swing it, and don’t absolutely need 7 seats, I 100% STRONGLY recommend Plaid refresh over non Plaid refresh, having owned both. I did end up (on the day of picking up my plaid X) deciding to trade in my non Plaid X because it seemed a little needless to keep it.

THE only HUGE (and I mean HUGE) issue with the Plaid is mine apparently has HW4 and FSD hasn’t been released to HW4. Right before I got my plaid X (June 12th), FSD was getting so freaking good in my non plaid X. Like, if you don’t have FSD, you have no idea.

Now in my plaid X I’m back to NOA/lane keeping and I realize just how spoiled I was. I cannot WAIT for FSD to be available in HW4 vehicles. 1st world problems I know but seriously there is no other brand that compares.
View attachment 954368
What exactly do you like about the Plaid vs non? Debating between the two and the $3500 is negligible.

View attachment 954368

I picked up my new 2023 MX (non Plaid) on 13 June. Love it, traded in my 2019 X. Got the 3 years Supercharging AND 3 months FSD but so far the FSD has not been available, just the enhanced AUTOPILOT.

This is the first time I've read about HW4 being the reason why FSD is not available. Are you pretty confident that's the reason?

BTW, the RED looks really stoked!

Good luck.

-stew

Attachments

• 20230623_181220.jpg
    20230623_181220.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Jun_28_2023_19_03_34.jpg
    Jun_28_2023_19_03_34.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 61
What exactly do you like about the Plaid vs non? Debating between the two and the $3500 is negligible.
My reasoning went like this:

Plaid has, over non plaid:
— Significantly upgraded brakes.
— Significantly upgraded drivetrain which may translate to more durability with regular use.
— Significantly upgraded performance. Model X non plaid felt remarkably minivan-ish in performance, especially from zero mph. Plaid X gives the classic Tesla experience. To be fair, I adored my Refresh Model X non plaid.
As an afterthought, I really like the interior carbon fiber look and the pinstripe design of the seats.

I picked up my new 2023 MX (non Plaid) on 13 June. Love it, traded in my 2019 X. Got the 3 years Supercharging AND 3 months FSD but so far the FSD has not been available, just the enhanced AUTOPILOT.

This is the first time I've read about HW4 being the reason why FSD is not available. Are you pretty confident that's the reason?

BTW, the RED looks really stoked!

Good luck.

-stew
From what I’ve read, yes. I think Tesla maybe is validating it for HW4/external forces are holding Tesla back (Missy Cummings/NHTSA bias etc)?

My reasoning went like this:

Plaid has, over non plaid:
— Significantly upgraded brakes.

— Significantly upgraded performance. Model X non plaid felt remarkably minivan-ish in performance, especially from zero mph. Plaid X gives the classic Tesla experience. To be fair, I adored my Refresh Model X non plaid.
It's just a different brake pad. Not what I would call a significant upgrade. And the non plaid X with 670 hp is faster than 99% of the cars out there. Mini vans aren't even in the ballpark.

The only advantage I’m seeing is the third motor. I’m not a fan of the carbon fiber.
Well carbon fiber does have that now-well-known tendency to have sudden catastrophic failure after a certain number of fatigue cycles…

So I’m aware that the Plaid motors (like Icon A5s, premium CF bikes, CF motorcycle wheels, and possibly certain submarines) will need significant refurbishment every so often….

But I don’t intend to keep the vehicle longer than 3 yrs and also I figured the motors are at least not subject to physical damage like surface damage that may be related to CF failure.

Reactions: bhzmark
You mean the new hybrid model with 245hp and a 0-60 time of 7.8 seconds? I'm starting to wonder if you need your eyes checked.
lol! Nah actually it was an old base 2016 Sienna. Obviously the X was way better hahaha. I just really wasn’t impressed with the non plaid performance. Haha! I guess it actually takes a lot of performance to impress me (?) and anything less is kinda all just … nice.

though I really did wonder from start if my non plaid X was performing up to spec. It really was zero punch from standstill.

Plaid is a different story. 😄

Just noticed a couple of things:
- MX has all images with matrix lights
- For MX there are no estimated delivery dates shown outside of NA (e.g. Europe)

I wonder why they would not provide delivery dates anymore. Anyone know anything?

Europe is so full of inventory as of today (and very few incoming orders as you can witness from this forum and order tracking) they probably dont want to show it right before earnings date ... price reduction coming after earnings release?

Hello again, I’ve been looking for the roof sun shade for the upper half of the windshield for the the refreshed X, to block overhead sun while driving, anyone know of one?
Also, a non-electric cooler that fits in the sun trunk. Thanks!

Hello again, I’ve been looking for the roof sun shade for the upper half of the windshield for the the refreshed X, to block overhead sun while driving, anyone know of one?

You can wrap it from outside with a color matching the car. Inside alternatives also something like

I always read th 3-star reviews for most insight and they say " It doesn't hold on the windscreen so it's effectiveness is limited. " You might work around this with some adhesive. If you had winter in CA then you might want to remove this in the winter, but if you have more or elss eternal summer you can simply keep it on so also the wrap/tint is ok.

Try the window tint first. You may find you don't need anything else.

The problem for heat is the infrared rays, not the UV rays, and it is like a greenhouse effect once the infrared gets trapped inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon73
You can wrap it from outside with a color matching the car. Inside alternatives also something like

I always read th 3-star reviews for most insight and they say " It doesn't hold on the windscreen so it's effectiveness is limited. " You might work around this with some adhesive. If you had winter in CA then you might want to remove this in the winter, but if you have more or elss eternal summer you can simply keep it on so also the wrap/tint is ok.

The problem for heat is the infrared rays, not the UV rays, and it is like a greenhouse effect once the infrared gets trapped inside.
Window tint also blocks infrared rays. It is definitely cooler after having my windshield and front doors tinted on my X