Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I strongly disagree agree! I believe the fact they are calling order holders with 5/7 seat configuration to change to a 6 seat without offering a discount demonstrates their intent. The X is their highest margin car. The 6 seat is a crazy $6,500.00 dripping with profit. Q4 / end of year numbers are the only driver here.

If you were correct and somehow they had a glut of 6 seat materials at the ready but not enough orders to justify a full run why not add an incentive to the request to switch from 5/7 to 6 seater? it’s because the bottom line is all that matters. We have demonstrated our willingness to sit patiently and wait. Some of us have jumped at the opportunity to change and get the car ASAP. Others need the utility of the 5/7 seater and have to wait. Customers like me are tapped out budget wise. I can barely afford the $8,000.00 increase to my 2020 order That happened in January. As I told Tesla when they called, if you want to make my 5 seater a 6 seater so you can move inventory I’ll take it. If you want me to pay an extra $6,500.00 you’re out of your mind! I don’t have that kind of money just laying around. I guess it’s good for Tesla’s 4th quarter that others do.

Tesla is going to have a serious problem coming up when Giga Berlin and Texas burn through their order backlog. Once all the Fan Girls / Boys get their new model car and Tesla needs regular customers to buy inventory. Paint issues, fit and finish issues along with general poor customer service/ experience is going to have a real impact. If I could have bought and taken delivery of a Rivian RS1 in June, I would have canceled my X In a heartbeat. Once customers have alternatives for 300+ mile BEVs somethings gonna need to change at Tesla. I’m a customer, I have a Tesla 8.19kWh solar panel array with 2 powerwall2s. While that equipment is great my customer experience with Tesla Energy has sucked. I am praying this Model X will be as solid as my solar & batterie.
Very well put. I agree with all of your points. I am however one of the people who took there offer for the change to 6 seats because I have no car and am desperate. Winter is coming, and it’s not only the weather.

Reactions: CDT and IAMCCF
Reactions: DIL
First off, this is not an attack on you Murphy -

Can I just say how awesome it is to have a conversation online without it getting personal or attacking?? Thank you for being an adult - even if we don't agree on everything, it's great to have a conversation with you!
But I disagree with your statement: "Why would you give the product away? Dilutes the value for everyone". If I buy a top of the line Sub Zero fridge/ freeze or a Viking Stove and there is a issue with delivery, if all my contractors on my kitchen remodel are impacted, the plumber, the electrical and the cabinet guys all need to be rescheduled and it's not unusual to get a credit, or they offer an extended service warranty. That does not dilute the value of the Sub Zero or Viking, it does not negatively impact the their brands, it fosters good customer relations. It means they or their retailer are willing to make things better for the customers.

Not necessarily, and the proof is a few posts up ... if they, say, gave you a discount, what about others in the queue that have been waiting for a 6-seater for months? What about the guy that clicks "buy now" and has a delivery time of May for a 6-seater? Do they all get discounts too? If so -- yeah, that kinda counts as giving the product away.

I can assure you that - even though I currently have a 50-week lead-time on some products and counting -- Cisco isn't offering me any discounts for the wait.

Operational delays are frustrating. Throwing this supply chain debacle on top of it is almost surreal.

That said -- what net value does it have for Tesla to start giving away their most premium product? There really isn't one.

Like I have stated before, I'm a customer. I'm not a fan, or a shareholder and I expect companies to for-fill their commitments or provide fair compensation for missing deadlines they set. I reject your assertion that " this isn’t your time yet". When my 2020 Model X order was canceled in January due to the refresh I was told by my Tesla advisor if I agree to the $8,000.00 increase I would have priority delivery and a March / April delivery. This was before the major chip shortages or the tanker that got stuck which happened March 23rd when cars should have already started down the production line. Tesla set the delivery terms not me. Tesla failed to meet those terms not me. Tesla then ghosted everyone with a Model X order like we did not exist. Are there shortages now? Yes but I refuse to give Tesla a pass for the Refresh roll out! Maybe, just maybe they diverted the chips ordered for the Model X to other lines? It's good for Tesla, great for customers who got their car M3/Y or MS but it's not good for all of us. We are directly impacted by that decision. That should matter.

To your point - the supply chain was a mess prior to the Suez Canal blockage. It only exacerbated things. I do agree though -- the communication could and should be much better. That much, we agree on completely.
Some people are cool... They don't need their car right now, They can and are happy to wait, no worries at all, it get's delivered when it gets delivered.
Plans were made around the March/April delivery date that Tesla set. It has screwed a-lot of customer's timetables. People sold their vehicles expecting to take delivery, some turned in leases expecting to take delivery. Some needed their cars delivered for business. There has been a lot of undue stress and frustration for customers created by Tesla management. None of that seems to matter and it should.

I get that, and yes it's frustrating, but really no different than the thousands of folks here who lost their vehicles to flooding from Hurricane Ida. Work trucks, police vehicles, personal cars, all sorts of stuff -- just wiped away. And then they find that nobody has replacements. One police department needed a dozen new vehicles... going to be at least a year. They're borrowing police cars from surrounding towns because they simply can't get a car.

So my point being -- Tesla is far, far, far, from alone in delays right now.
Many companies are willing to take a loss of margin for the sake of customer satisfaction. Many apologize and provide a credit for the sake of customer satisfaction. It's not "giving away product" it's compensation for the customer time and aggravation. You suggest giving Tesla a pass, you compare it to a simplistic restaurant 1 for 2 deal. This is a $87,000.00 investment to most, not a trifle. Do you know what happens if a truck transport fails to delivery a load of Tesla's on time? Tesla penalizes the transportation company. They don't say "hey, no one can predict traffic jams, detours, accidents, it's ok you’re late... we're cool Bro". No, Tesla sends a strongly worded reprimand, enforcing their contract terms and threatens to end their future contracts.

It is giving away product. You're still in line for exactly the vehicle you ordered, as soon as they can get it produced. My point of comparing vs. a 2-for-1 deal was simply that if they somehow end up with extra monopod seats, they don't have a pressing need to give them away. They won't spoil -- if it takes an extra month or 3 to move them, it's not a problem.. they're not desperate to offload them. That's all.

I hear you - it's definitely frustrating and definitely irritating. I'm glad I'm not in your situation; we managed to score a Model X in June '20 before the refresh, and I'm happy we did. Just happenstance and luck, that's all.

But there's absolutely no reason for Tesla to give away their premium product due to a delay. If they did it for you, they'd have to do it for everyone that has a 5 or 7 seater on order, and also everyone that ordered a 6-seater originally.

Doesn't make sense to do so, sorry to say... That doesn't salve the wound, but there's no upside and nothing but downside for Tesla to do so.

2014 called and they want their memes back. And 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. The number of times people claim Tesla will clear its backlog or that the customer experience will shy future potential customers away or that quality issues are endemic and will cause losses in sales is beyond count. They are old and tiresome tropes, easily disregarded for those of us who have been around long enough.

I know a lot of people that love their Teslas (whether they have some specific quality issues) and I know even more people that will buy Teslas in the future. And I honestly haven't met anyone except on anonymous forums who rail about Tesla's customer service. And I know a lot of Tesla owners.

As a last side note, I do appreciate you inserted a "if Rivian could have made delivery I would have cancelled the Tesla that could not make delivery". I'm going to assume that was irony.
Hey man it's easy to be dismissive.... have at it.

I have met 4 Tesla Model X owners here in Massachusetts and they all had fit and finish issues at delivery. One lost his car for 4 weeks, 2 lost their for 2 weeks and one guy refused to drive it off the lot until it was fixed. They were given a Uber credits instead of loaners.

Again, I'm just a customer. you have different expectations. I have expectations as a customer. I don't care about the Tesla stock price (even Elon says it's too high LOL), I don't care about Elon aside from I hope he is happy and healthy. I care about products I buy with my hard earned money.

I have bought a new Ford Explorer every three years since 2000. I never bought Ford Stock or cared about the price, couldn’t tell you who runs Ford and I don't care. I don't care about the UAW or if the cars are made in the US or Mexico. I bought my Ford Explorer's because of build quality, the reliability and comfort. My current 2017 has very comfortable heated and cooled front seats with massage, a killer Bose sound system for only $56K. I do not buy from my local Ford Dealer because their customer service is awful. I drive an extra 10 miles to a dealer that provides exceptional customer service. They earned my business.

In 2018 I decided to go all in with solar, home batteries and a BEV.
Tesla lowered the price of Solar to an affordable / competitive price and there was a 30% tax credit so I bought an 8.19kWh solar panel array with 2 Powerwall2s. It was installed in late 2019 and I began save for my Model X order down payment which I made in 2020. A few months earlier I would have a 2020 Model X and life would be fine. Buying a used Model X now is cost prohibitive since my current order is cheaper then a 2018 with 20k miles. It looks like I'm screwed until some time in Q1/2 when Tesla gets around to the 5 seater configuration.

Reactions: gglockner
Buying a used Model X now is cost prohibitive since my current order is cheaper then a 2018 with 20k miles. It looks like I'm screwed until some time in Q1/2 when Tesla gets around to the 5 seater configuration.

This is what's so messed up ... the used values are so extreme, it's incomprehensible right now.

I was actually considering selling our current '20 6-seater, ordering a new X and then just lumping along with some beater car until the new X shows up... but that's a lot of work and not a ton of gain for a family vehicle. Especially since my wife hates the yoke (and it'd be her daily driver!) I'd lose the free Supercharging too, which I have to admit has been a great perk. :)

Reactions: IAMCCF
I got the call to switch and I would have to pay the additional $6,500.00 to accommodate Tesla. They don't have enough customers ordering the 6 seater so they are asking 5/7 seater order holders to pay more.
Would anyone be willing to share the contact name and phone number for "the call" that they have received? I think I'd like to proactively call them to volunteer for the 6-seat upgrade. I really need the car ASAP. No help from the 888 Fremont number or my SA here in NYC. Thank you very much. (Feel free to PM me, if you feel more comfortable.)

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: CDT and TWENT2
Does anyone know if the 6 seater version allows to the third row seats to fold flat and recover the upper same trunk space that is lost when the seats are upright? I think there is a very shallow under trunk in the 5 seat version where the third row seat would go, but the top is what I am most curious about.

2014 called and they want their memes back. And 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. The number of times people claim Tesla will clear its backlog or that the customer experience will shy future potential customers away or that quality issues are endemic and will cause losses in sales is beyond count. They are old and tiresome tropes, easily disregarded for those of us who have been around long enough.

I know a lot of people that love their Teslas (whether they have some specific quality issues) and I know even more people that will buy Teslas in the future. And I honestly haven't met anyone except on anonymous forums who rail about Tesla's customer service. And I know a lot of Tesla owners.

As a last side note, I do appreciate you inserted a "if Rivian could have made delivery I would have cancelled the Tesla that could not make delivery". I'm going to assume that was irony.
This is the internet so everyone has an opinion, including me as a long-term Tesla owner.

To paraphrase Churchill, Tesla is the worst car company, except for all other car companies. As I'm second-guessing my current order for a Model X, I have started to look at other vehicles to tow my trailer: Audi Q5, Jeep Cherokee V6 and Volvo XC90 T8. Shopping around reminds me what I adore about my Model S and about Tesla in general, as well as things that drive me mad about Tesla.

First, IMHO, the Tesla sales model is far better than the dealer model. Every dealer has been either clueless or appallingly cloying. I need a specific towing configuration and there's no way I'm going to be sold the wrong model just because you have it on the lot. Second, Tesla controls (apart from the yoke) are so much better than anything else we've seen. Volvo XC 90 controls are terrible, particularly the console screen which feels like a cheap knock-off of Tesla. Those controls were a deal-killer, and disappointing since we loved our 2003 Volvo V70 that preceded our Model S. Ironically, the simple old-school controls of the Jeep are our 2nd favorite. Third, there's no denying that Tesla has the best EVs on the market; my wife won't consider an alternative like Rivian due to the reliable, widespread Supercharger network.

That said, our Model S has been nowhere as reliable as our Toyota Camry Hybrid. The Model S has stranded us a few times over the years. If you need a repair, you have basically one option: Tesla. At least with Apple, I have alternative authorized service centers nearby, and repairs done by Apple themselves get turnaround in a matter of days. Second, the Model X ordering has been a fiasco. Tesla clearly doesn't care about the Model X orders, despite that we're ordering the most expensive product they currently manufacture. In contrast, I had to block the numbers of several local car dealers because they were calling all the time to ask for my business. Last, the arrogance of Tesla is maddening. Someone else posted that the yoke steering wheel is an answer to a question nobody asked. For me, same thing with the falcon wing doors. All I can think of is "great, here's a gimmick that will break down when I'm 500 miles from the nearest service center". I feel the same way about the retracting door handles in my Model S, where the driver side - surprise! - completely failed earlier this year. Frankly, I would pay a premium to have normal doors and handles. "But that won't be cool, hurr durr!", bleat the Tesla apologists.

Tesla is so close to perfect, but they're held back by their own arrogance. Yet here I am, posting on the Tesla fanboy site while I wait for a Model X order.

Does anyone know if the 6 seater version allows to the third row seats to fold flat and recover the upper same trunk space that is lost when the seats are upright? I think there is a very shallow under trunk in the 5 seat version where the third row seat would go, but the top is what I am most curious about.
Yes the third row does fold flat, and you get the same trunk space.... However you cannot fold the 2nd row captains chairs like you can on the 5 or 7 seater in order to get extra space.

Yes, definitely on the pre refresh. I can't imagine that changing.

Contacted my SA, told me He knows nothing about the rollout of 6 seaters.....this is crazy
Same here, though I know that some on the East Coast (CT, MA, FL) have already received calls -- so it's not just offered to CA / OR / NV customers. 888 Fremont tells me to only speak with my SA. Hopefully someone can share the contact details of the department who is making the upgrade phone calls.