Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the 6 seater version allows to the third row seats to fold flat and recover the upper same trunk space that is lost when the seats are upright? I think there is a very shallow under trunk in the 5 seat version where the third row seat would go, but the top is what I am most curious about.
I think this short video explains everything about the seats in 6-seaters.
The mid-row clearly won't fold. The 3rd-row can fold flat.

I have seen some stuff on here about inspecting the page source for info.

Has anyone tried the instructions from this page: Forum post on searching for the VIN

On my page, I show 5YJ and then the remaining digits are *************. So something is there but blocked out. I have friend with an S order and nothing comes up for him.

Feb 20 order, black/black, 6 seater, Plaid, 20’s
Can you post screenshot

I have seen some stuff on here about inspecting the page source for info.

Has anyone tried the instructions from this page: Forum post on searching for the VIN

On my page, I show 5YJ and then the remaining digits are *************. So something is there but blocked out. I have friend with an S order and nothing comes up for him.

Feb 20 order, black/black, 6 seater, Plaid, 20’s
Should be 5YJX. Does anything come up?

View attachment 723663View attachment 723655View attachment 723656View attachment 723657View attachment 723658View attachment 723659View attachment 723660View attachment 723662Tesla just leased a new building in Palo Alto, right across the street from my office. I wandered over there on my lunch break hoping to see something interesting and here’s what I found…
Great photos! This is confirmation that the 20s look way nicer than the 22s… the 22s look bland in this photo.. not sporty at all

Reactions: Sandollars and DIL
I think the refresh passenger door open too, however i do not think it will be a disaster as it will open for the person carrying the key!
The passenger door can be opened by the key fob and the touch screen (and by manually pressing the button), but they don't open on approach - think for a second, why would the person with the key WANT to get into the passenger door? They want to go into the driver side. Many people turn off the open on approach due to accidental opening already and am struggling to think of a reason why you would want that to be a thing for the refresh. The nuance is the both front doors ARE self presenting(from key fob or touch screen), but open on approach is only for the drivers side.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
Growing pangs. Ordered a Model X on 2/6/21, LR, Blue, 5 seater. Early on, I asked what the trade in value would be for my 90DMX, Tesla offered $54,000. The rep told me that I wouldn't have to turn it in before taking delivery because "we don't want you to be without a car." Talked it over with my financial planner and he suggested I go ahead and sell it if I could get a better price and share SO's car for a couple of months. With COVID, we weren't running around much, so why not. At the time, I was expecting delivery in April. I did shop around a little, found a better offer and sold the MX. Allowing for Elon Time, I figured I would get it around June. I made the decision to go ahead and sell, that's on me. I fault Elon for his overly optimistic declarations of when deliveries would start. We don't call it Elon Time for nothing.

Eight months later, the frustration is growing. What's taking so damned long? However, if you take a step back for more of drone's eye view, it's a little more palatable. Ford Motor Company operates 8 assembly plants in the U.S., a couple more in Mexico, 1-2 in Canada, didn't check the actual number for Canada or Mexico. Tesla has one. Fremont is the third largest assembly plant of any automaker in the U.S. in terms of floor space. Kia's in West Point, GA and Toyota's Georgetown, KY plant are the two larger ones.

Next, look at what's happening in auto sales. The chip shortage crap is just that, it ain't all that. Auto sales peaked in the U.S. in 2016 @ 18 million units. Ford alone delivered, 6.65 million vehicles in 2016, down to 4.2 million in 2020. This year total ICE sales are on track to hit 12 million units. Globally, Tesla will deliver ~900k vehicles. Globally, not just in North America, Tesla owns two vehicle production plants, Fremont and Shanghai. Berlin and Texas, the next two, will start production any day. In 2022, Tesla will deliver ~2 million vehicles from those four plants, eventually ramping up to 6 million in 2-3 years. Despite chip/parts shortages, vertically integrated Tesla will deliver 900k vehicles in 2021. Ford, VW, GM, all of them will not come close to maxing out capacity. PEOPLE HAVE STOPPED BUYING THEIR CARS. The Osborne Effect has taken hold (i.e. holding off a purchase now to await a better product coming soon).

What we have here is the next phase of the switch to EVs. We've gone through the Innovator and Early Adopter phase and are transitioning to Early Majority. Tesla is struggling to keep up with exploding demand. IMO, they were caught flat footed by demand for the Refresh S/X. Orders are far in excess of what they probably expected due to slowly declining sales for S/X in recent years. They didn't expect this. What was 100k orders annually that had fallen to 80k and they expected to go back to 100k or thereabouts with the Refresh. No way to know, but I bet their order book is much bigger than 100k. Look at the timelines for people ordering today. Order your S/X today and it will be in your driveway... next September.

Extremely frustrating for us Innovators and Early Adopters. Seems to be most people on this forum are in those categories. We were accustomed to 2-3 month waits. But not this. IOW, what we have here is the soon to be world's largest vehicle OEM struggling to ramp up production to meet exploding demand with us longtime customers/admirers caught up in the maelstrom when we think we shouldn't be.

Yeah, Tesla needs to communicate better, mystery does not help customer relations. Yeah, Tesla shouldn't keep its SA's in the dark as much as they do. Yeah, the time to tinker with assembly lines is before you announce a delivery timeline. Yeah, raising prices just 'cause you can (and to cover increased materials costs) looks arrogant and ugly.

But that's what happens. I'm pulling out a Zen text or something to see if I can meditate my way to a little peace of mind over this.

Can you post screenshot
Sure thing. FYI, there’s a full one on that page and it’s for a 2016 year. People on the other thread mention that. I think it’s unrelated.

Attachments

• C4125497-BF47-4C26-842D-4DD75D6982B9.png
    C4125497-BF47-4C26-842D-4DD75D6982B9.png
    359.5 KB · Views: 76
Growing pangs. Ordered a Model X on 2/6/21, LR, Blue, 5 seater. Early on, I asked what the trade in value would be for my 90DMX, Tesla offered $54,000. The rep told me that I wouldn't have to turn it in before taking delivery because "we don't want you to be without a car." Talked it over with my financial planner and he suggested I go ahead and sell it if I could get a better price and share SO's car for a couple of months. With COVID, we weren't running around much, so why not. At the time, I was expecting delivery in April. I did shop around a little, found a better offer and sold the MX. Allowing for Elon Time, I figured I would get it around June. I made the decision to go ahead and sell, that's on me. I fault Elon for his overly optimistic declarations of when deliveries would start. We don't call it Elon Time for nothing.

Eight months later, the frustration is growing. What's taking so damned long? However, if you take a step back for more of drone's eye view, it's a little more palatable. Ford Motor Company operates 8 assembly plants in the U.S., a couple more in Mexico, 1-2 in Canada, didn't check the actual number for Canada or Mexico. Tesla has one. Fremont is the third largest assembly plant of any automaker in the U.S. in terms of floor space. Kia's in West Point, GA and Toyota's Georgetown, KY plant are the two larger ones.

Next, look at what's happening in auto sales. The chip shortage crap is just that, it ain't all that. Auto sales peaked in the U.S. in 2016 @ 18 million units. Ford alone delivered, 6.65 million vehicles in 2016, down to 4.2 million in 2020. This year total ICE sales are on track to hit 12 million units. Globally, Tesla will deliver ~900k vehicles. Globally, not just in North America, Tesla owns two vehicle production plants, Fremont and Shanghai. Berlin and Texas, the next two, will start production any day. In 2022, Tesla will deliver ~2 million vehicles from those four plants, eventually ramping up to 6 million in 2-3 years. Despite chip/parts shortages, vertically integrated Tesla will deliver 900k vehicles in 2021. Ford, VW, GM, all of them will not come close to maxing out capacity. PEOPLE HAVE STOPPED BUYING THEIR CARS. The Osborne Effect has taken hold (i.e. holding off a purchase now to await a better product coming soon).

What we have here is the next phase of the switch to EVs. We've gone through the Innovator and Early Adopter phase and are transitioning to Early Majority. Tesla is struggling to keep up with exploding demand. IMO, they were caught flat footed by demand for the Refresh S/X. Orders are far in excess of what they probably expected due to slowly declining sales for S/X in recent years. They didn't expect this. What was 100k orders annually that had fallen to 80k and they expected to go back to 100k or thereabouts with the Refresh. No way to know, but I bet their order book is much bigger than 100k. Look at the timelines for people ordering today. Order your S/X today and it will be in your driveway... next September.

Extremely frustrating for us Innovators and Early Adopters. Seems to be most people on this forum are in those categories. We were accustomed to 2-3 month waits. But not this. IOW, what we have here is the soon to be world's largest vehicle OEM struggling to ramp up production to meet exploding demand with us longtime customers/admirers caught up in the maelstrom when we think we shouldn't be.

Yeah, Tesla needs to communicate better, mystery does not help customer relations. Yeah, Tesla shouldn't keep its SA's in the dark as much as they do. Yeah, the time to tinker with assembly lines is before you announce a delivery timeline. Yeah, raising prices just 'cause you can (and to cover increased materials costs) looks arrogant and ugly.

But that's what happens. I'm pulling out a Zen text or something to see if I can meditate my way to a little peace of mind over this.
Early adopters, innovators and there are...fools like me I guess. My hedge plan to the delayed X is a Y. Presently, that Y, ordered 75 days ago may deliver in the next month or so, and the X ordered even earlier shows no signs of delivery. If so, I guess we place our X on hold and hope that the early wrinkles are ironed out.

The passenger door can be opened by the key fob and the touch screen (and by manually pressing the button), but they don't open on approach - think for a second, why would the person with the key WANT to get into the passenger door? They want to go into the driver side. Many people turn off the open on approach due to accidental opening already and am struggling to think of a reason why you would want that to be a thing for the refresh. The nuance is the both front doors ARE self presenting(from key fob or touch screen), but open on approach is only for the drivers side.
According to the manual for the new refresh it is front doorS . not door, but who knows