Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel really bad for anyone who has had an order since last year or even the first half of the year. I’ve seen others in here who just placed orders since Sept and already asking if their estimated delivery date is correct or just a placeholder 😂
Early March order LR w/5 seats and haven't actually got to talk to anyone at Tesla about moving to 6 seater. It's frustrating to hear how other orders, after March, have received the offer and are presumably moving ahead of my earlier order. I completely get the supply chain challenges, but, frustrating nonetheless. If there was a rhyme or reason to the offers it might be easier to understand and accept. FWIW

Tesla has no reason to come out w/ a higher range version. Other than Lucid, no other EVs are close in range to Tesla. Why would they go through all of the engineering, crash testing, etc to change the S/X to 4680s? There is literally no reason. They have the 18650 lines up and running in Reno. Every cell they produce on that line gets cheaper as they amortize the capital cost over more cells.

4680 production will go to CT and Semi first, refresh 3/Y next, then refresh S/X. It will be 4 years before S/X get 4680s.

The only thing that will change that timeline is if/when some other manufacturer comes out w/ a >350-mile range SUV.
I think you're right mostly... Although my money is on Y getting the 4680s first. Tesla has outlined that this is going to be the best selling vehicle on the world of any type... It will likely get the cheaper to produce, higher efficiency batteries asap. Giga TX is already producing megacast front and rear in preparation for 4680 structural battery pack.

You stated the reason. Lucid! They made their first deliveries past weekend. It is direct competition. I see MS getting 4680 first before end of 2022. MX will follow long before 4 year timeline you think.
Didn't lucid deliver $170k vehicles? They're not going to kill Tesla by any stretch of the imagination. Tesla likely got more new orders on their website today than all of the Lucids that will be delivered this year.
That being said...my Aunt ordered an Air... And while I don't particularly like the styling, it's 100% a luxury car.

Reactions: nBar5EV1
Anyone have an EDD of this year? I talked to a sales rep in the Bay Area who said Plaids would deliver by December, though im unsure now (my plaid x has an edd of july which im sure is just a placeholder)
I was told that I would have delivery late November/Early December if I changed from 7 seats to 6 seats... I changed. He said that I should get more details early November

Reactions: bhramabull
Even so, the range of MS will be less than 487miles (1.2* 406) which is significantly lower than the Lucid. I bet in order for Musk to be interested in any new MS/MX released would have to beat Lucid.
It kind of seems like Plaid was a reaction to the (then) upcoming Porches Taycan... Maybe the Long range will be a reaction to Lucid...

From Greens recent post on Twitter for software updates -

“#TeslaReleaseNotes
2021.40 brings us:
Cold weather improvements: You can now enable front defrost and maintain your climate settings when clearing ice and snow.
2021 S/X refresh: Active noise reduction
Tidal: TIDAL streaming is now available from the Media menu with a TIDAL acct
2021 s/x refresh: You can now lock access to the rear screen by tapping Controls > Display > Lock Rear Display”

“#TeslaReleaseNotes
2021.40 brings us:
Cold weather improvements: You can now enable front defrost and maintain your climate settings when clearing ice and snow.
2021 s/x refresh: You can now lock access to the rear screen by tapping Controls > Display > Lock Rear Display”
Active noise reduction is here? That's awesome!

“#TeslaReleaseNotes
2021.40 brings us:
If they confirm the 360 audio from Tidal will work on the X I’m signing up!

“#TeslaReleaseNotes
2021.40 brings us:
Awesome. Now do Apple Music next

Right, Elon had known Lucid's plan such as its range and performances before MS and MX refresh was built/decided. Tesla could probably marginally beat Lucid with the current scheme. Being Musk, he is looking for a knockout game. 4680 will likely provide that.
4860 for Tesla vehicles. And opening Superchargers to other companies' EVs for the rest. That targets Shell, Chevron, and Exxon and aims to take their lunch money as countries shift to EVs. I expect Tesla to expand their charging network to many more retail locations and continue to build massive interstate supercharger locations like the 100-charger expansion in works at Harris Ranch. If Tesla can make 5 cents profit per kWh they will have a ton of cash.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I'll try to answer that this weekend as long as delivery goes well
Just like Sunny, after Fulhth gets his MX we may not hear much from him. It's like amical relationship breakups. They always say "We'll keep in touch! You are still my friend!" But in reality... they move on.

But, on the outside chance things could be different, I'll say this: Fulkth, please keep in touch! You are still our friend!" :D

I was going to match with a VIN the last week of December, but by then the refresh rumors were very solid from Multiple source. To me, the only thing more upsetting than waiting over a year, would be to take delivery of one of the last X’s off the line prior to refresh, so I paused my order status until the day the refresh was announced officially. I even have FSD for 8k on my order still.
I will offer a different perspective and how I would go differently.
I ordered an X in Nov 2020 and got delivery scheduled for Dec 14, 2020. In early Dec, rumors of refresh intensified and caused me to unmatch my VIN. At that time, I have 2 cars, a 2016 model S and a gas car for my son.
When Elon officially announced the refresh in Jan with delivery coming the following month, I sold the gas car to get the space for the new X. In the meantime, we drove my son to work and back everyday. Yeah, just a couple more weeks, we could do this.

Fast forward to Aug, the X is nowhere to be seen. With 1 car in the whole house, it's lot of friction to arrange rides. We can't continue to drive the son to work anymore.
We decided to lease a Volvo short term (5 months min) and still waiting for the X. Hopefully, we can get it for real this time.

The lesson is we should take delivery of the X last December, drive it for a year and sell it back. The market would price the 2021 X higher than usually and save us lot of money and frustration. We got the enjoy the X for a full year and there is very little downside.

Hindsight is 20/20.