Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has no reason to come out w/ a higher range version. Other than Lucid, no other EVs are close in range to Tesla. Why would they go through all of the engineering, crash testing, etc to change the S/X to 4680s? There is literally no reason. They have the 18650 lines up and running in Reno. Every cell they produce on that line gets cheaper as they amortize the capital cost over more cells.

4680 production will go to CT and Semi first, refresh 3/Y next, then refresh S/X. It will be 4 years before S/X get 4680s.

The only thing that will change that timeline is if/when some other manufacturer comes out w/ a >350-mile range SUV.

Reactions: FirstInTown
Tesla has no reason to come out w/ a higher range version. Other than Lucid, no other EVs are close in range to Tesla. Why would they go through all of the engineering, crash testing, etc to change the S/X to 4680s? There is literally no reason. They have the 18650 lines up and running in Reno. Every cell they produce on that line gets cheaper as they amortize the capital cost over more cells.

4680 production will go to CT and Semi first, refresh 3/Y next, then refresh S/X. It will be 4 years before S/X get 4680s.

The only thing that will change that timeline is if/when some other manufacturer comes out w/ a >350-mile range SUAny other
Lucid is probably the worst player to have a bigger range than Tesla for Musk. ;)

Reactions: Niranga

The only thing that will change that timeline is if/when some other manufacturer comes out w/ a >350-mile range SUV.

You stated the reason. Lucid! They made their first deliveries past weekend. It is direct competition. I see MS getting 4680 first before end of 2022. MX will follow long before 4 year timeline you think.

• Love
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
You stated the reason. Lucid! They made their first deliveries past weekend. It is direct competition. I see MS getting 4680 first before end of 2022. MX will follow long before 4 year timeline you think.
The initial production volume of 4680 will be low. It makes sense to put them in high-margin, low-volume cars such as MS and MX. Perhaps Tesla will produce a high-range, high-performance version of MS and MX to beat Lucid with 4680.

I sent an email to my SA to find out and haven't had a response yet other than an "I'm on it!"
Since I'm a first time Tesla buyer, I'd like to ask a simple clarifying question on the floor mats. Does the new X come with floor mats? Given the car is minimum $100K I'd sure hope they come with the car!

Sorry for being off topic with this question.

Lucid could definitely still fail at this stage- it could go either way. It’s too soon to say whether they will be real competition or not. They need to ramp up quick without any major missteps- not easy.

Lucid could definitely still fail at this stage- it could go either way. It’s too soon to say whether they will be real competition or not. They need to ramp up quick without any major missteps- not easy.
What's the situation of the Lucid cars delivered? I read that its battery is only 118kwh, but it has an EPA range of 520 miles. Does that mean it's more efficient than the most efficient Tesla car?

• Informative
Reactions: TWENT2
What's the situation of the Lucid cars delivered? I read that its battery is only 118kwh, but it has an EPA range of 520 miles. Does that mean it's more efficient than the most efficient Tesla car?
"Lucid also indicated that the Dream Edition Performance, which is rated at 1111 hp and 1025 lb-ft of torque, will offer quarter-mile times of 9.67 seconds when optioned with the 21-inch wheel and tire pack, and will make 0-60 mph sprints in just 2.42 seconds."

Looks like MS plaid is still faster, 0-60 and 1/4 miles, even though it has a lower horsepower and a smaller battery.

• Informative
"Lucid also indicated that the Dream Edition Performance, which is rated at 1111 hp and 1025 lb-ft of torque, will offer quarter-mile times of 9.67 seconds when optioned with the 21-inch wheel and tire pack, and will make 0-60 mph sprints in just 2.42 seconds."

Looks like MS plaid is still faster, 0-60 and 1/4 miles, even though it has a lower horsepower and a smaller battery.
The only thing I care about at this point is miles traveled per plug in. That's it for me 🤷🏾‍♂️

Anyone have an EDD of this year? I talked to a sales rep in the Bay Area who said Plaids would deliver by December, though im unsure now (my plaid x has an edd of july which im sure is just a placeholder)
Technically no. It appears that everyone has either January or TBD as an EDD right now.... However many have been told that 6 seat LR would be delivered before end of year.

Reactions: TWENT2

They have room to put more of the current cells in the skate board so won’t they just release a 120 kw X (and S) in 6 to 12 months and call that the LR? Seems obvious.