Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question is about "prepping" for my new X (ordered June - EDD still January)...

I want to keep my X in my garage. I have a 2nd detached garage that we never used for any vehicles (we have multiple bikes, a snowblower, tractor...). After I ordered my X have been making its new home ready. I recently installed a ceiling lift for the 5 bikes to make more room. This works great and they are out of the way.

My concern is that my garage door side rails/tracks and center chain rail are all standard height. With my garage, there is about 3 to 4 feet between the track height and the ceiling (the ceiling is high). Has anyone kept an X in the garage with a "normal" height garage door? Do the falcon doors open when the garage door is closed? If yes, do they come close to hitting the garage door rails/tracks?

This weekend I am having my garage door tracks lifted up to the ceiling (which removes the center track and moves the actual opener mechanism to the side of the garage door). When I called several garage door companies and described what I wanted they all asked if I was installing a vehicle lift - since that is what this application is for.

Thanks in advance for any perspective/POVs - I am just curious how others have dealt with this issue.

In addition to what Jboy20 said: Early on, I pressed the garage door button and then proceeded to open the wing door WITHOUT waiting for the garage door to be fully open. The wing door sensors got confused and smashed the top of the wing door glass into the garage door! The glass was broken and had to be replaced. Fortunately, there was no damage to the car body or garage door. By the way, I tried to stop the door from further opening with my own hand - and was unable to....

I learned my lesson! the wing door sensors are reliable, but only if the garage door is not in motion... and you should always be ready to stop the motion by pressing the close button...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lauraut and lexus26
In addition to what Jboy20 said: Early on, I pressed the garage door button and then proceeded to open the wing door WITHOUT waiting for the garage door to be fully open. The wing door sensors got confused and smashed the top of the wing door glass into the garage door! The glass was broken and had to be replaced. Fortunately, there was no damage to the car body or garage door. By the way, I tried to stop the door from further opening with my own hand - and was unable to....

I learned my lesson! the wing door sensors are reliable, but only if the garage door is not in motion... and you should always be ready to stop the motion by pressing the close button...
OUCH! :eek:

Attachments

• PXL_20211110_010216643.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211110_010216643.PORTRAIT.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: lexus26 and JER85
@Fulkth you are our next hero

hoping you stick around longer than @sunnyvaletree
I love you all... Folks I've never actually met.. but I assure you that I will not be hanging out in the waiting room after the doctor calls me for my appointment.

I will not be in the queueing line after it's my turn on Splash Mountain.

I will not be chatting with the number holders after they call my number at the DMV.

NO GUILT @Fulkth You do you. We're goin to be here begging for scraps if information, but you are free to enjoy the car you've waited for more than a year for.

Our second hero of many. May your MX future be bright (and fast!)

WOAH NEXT GEN MODEL X!!!!! LEAKED!!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!UNBELIEVABLE DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤣😁
First they remove #longrange, then they just make it a MY and hope nobody notices.

Doors present themselves... (After you pull the handles)
Falcon Wing Doors (if you turn your head sideways every time you open them) 😂