Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I submit most of the tax credit stuff is off topic for this thread so Bruce will probably remove us all eventually..that being said everyone points to housing and how insane it is in CA. Other goods and services aren’t that much incredibly more expensive in CA.

Your ability to buy a tesla in San Francisco for example. You pay the same price I do on the east coast in a cheap area. So if your salary is double mine due to inflated salaries to compensate for Bay Area living as a portion of your income you pay less for your Tesla than I do. Your taxes aren’t that much higher than my state either so you’re not getting killed on the vehicle purchase there.

Same for food. Is the price of a burger or a soda or a gallon of milk that much higher than what I pay? Is it double or more like 10%?
Actually a lot of things are more expensive in CA. Gas prices, services, food etc. Minimum wage 1/1/22 in VA will be $11, CA will $14-15 @ 30% more. And housing is a big component on ones budget. When you are spending $5k - $10k on PITI that takes a bite out of your budget.

Actually a lot of things are more expensive in CA. Gas prices, services, food etc. Minimum wage 1/1/22 in VA will be $11, CA will $14-15 @ 30% more. And housing is a big component on ones budget. When you are spending $5k - $10k on PITI that takes a bite out of your budget.
Housing impact varies widely in California. Prop 13 basing a lot of property tax on the purchase price instead of current market value makes it easier to afford your home the longer you stay in the state assuming your income increases.

But it has a dark side of people staying in their homes rather than moving to something smaller and traditionally thought of as more affordable, since their current big house is likely the lowest cost option.

This question is about "prepping" for my new X (ordered June - EDD still January)...

I want to keep my X in my garage. I have a 2nd detached garage that we never used for any vehicles (we have multiple bikes, a snowblower, tractor...). After I ordered my X have been making its new home ready. I recently installed a ceiling lift for the 5 bikes to make more room. This works great and they are out of the way.

My concern is that my garage door side rails/tracks and center chain rail are all standard height. With my garage, there is about 3 to 4 feet between the track height and the ceiling (the ceiling is high). Has anyone kept an X in the garage with a "normal" height garage door? Do the falcon doors open when the garage door is closed? If yes, do they come close to hitting the garage door rails/tracks?

This weekend I am having my garage door tracks lifted up to the ceiling (which removes the center track and moves the actual opener mechanism to the side of the garage door). When I called several garage door companies and described what I wanted they all asked if I was installing a vehicle lift - since that is what this application is for.

Thanks in advance for any perspective/POVs - I am just curious how others have dealt with this issue.

So it was as easy as calling my SA. Called and said wanted to be part Tesla push to get ppl into 6 seaters but not pay 15k increase. He sent me a text said please reply yes to change and said you can add that you don't agree to 15k price bump if makes you feel better but won't get that bump as it's part of Tesla push. That is way different than Fremont was saying few weeks ago guessing they opened the program up a bit?

Reactions: Hebert and TJPDX
So it was as easy as calling my SA. Called and said wanted to be part Tesla push to get ppl into 6 seaters but not pay 15k increase. He sent me a text said please reply yes to change and said you can add that you don't agree to 15k price bump if makes you feel better but won't get that bump as it's part of Tesla push. That is way different than Fremont was saying few weeks ago guessing they opened the program up a bit?
How do you know who your SA is if you order online ? your local sales center ?

This question is about "prepping" for my new X (ordered June - EDD still January)...

I want to keep my X in my garage. I have a 2nd detached garage that we never used for any vehicles (we have multiple bikes, a snowblower, tractor...). After I ordered my X have been making its new home ready. I recently installed a ceiling lift for the 5 bikes to make more room. This works great and they are out of the way.

My concern is that my garage door side rails/tracks and center chain rail are all standard height. With my garage, there is about 3 to 4 feet between the track height and the ceiling (the ceiling is high). Has anyone kept an X in the garage with a "normal" height garage door? Do the falcon doors open when the garage door is closed? If yes, do they come close to hitting the garage door rails/tracks?

This weekend I am having my garage door tracks lifted up to the ceiling (which removes the center track and moves the actual opener mechanism to the side of the garage door). When I called several garage door companies and described what I wanted they all asked if I was installing a vehicle lift - since that is what this application is for.

Thanks in advance for any perspective/POVs - I am just curious how others have dealt with this issue.
We have a much lower garage, with tracks on the sides and a pulling track in the center and open the Falcon Wing doors from time to time in the garage with no issue.

The unique thing about Falcon Wing doors is they fold about 2/3 the way up, just above the window glass. So if there is space to the side and not space above, the doors will extend horizontally at a little above the vehicle's height. That is more than enough height to make it easy for people to climb in and out of the middle and rear seats.

However, this is all driven by two proximity (backup type) sensors located in the roof on the centerline (you should locate them to understand the limitations). So if your setup is such that the sensor cannot see a conflict straight up from the centerline they may open the door right into the conflicting rail, box, etc. So when you get your car test it by opening the doors manually and keeping your finger right on the button to stop the door before it collides with something.

I believe there may be a setting to limit FWD opening, perhaps based on location. But if so, I have no experience with it. (Joys of being an empty nester).

Last edited:
1636488310233.png

The time is nigh.