Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5109466050 this number always connects me automatically to someone that always is very well informed. what you need to do is call and it will ask you for an extension of the person you want to reach, don't press anything and it will automatically connect you to someone in Fremont.
I called this number. Thanks for the tip!

Spoke to a rep at the delivery center in Fremont. She said the VIN I was previously matched to was not matching my configuration. So Tesla had to unmatch me to that VIN becuase that VIN was not deliverable to me. She did say that my file said to put me in a priority queue.

I asked that if the issue is just a mismatched VIN, why has it been happening to so many people. She said she did not know and had not heard of this issue more broadly.

Hi TRex,

Congratulations on your new car. I have a 2017 also....

Anyway, take a look at the wear mark on your 2017 - I circled it. It is the falcon door plastic trim rubbing on the paint (at least that's the case for my car.) Anyway, look at the interaction between falcon door and body of vehicle on the new car and compare to the old. If it has that same interaction, then put a piece of Clear Teflon over the paint in that spot to at least keep it from rubbing the paint off.

After discussions with the service center technician, I also trimmed back slightly the offending plastic piece and it did wonders.

Just pointing it out to you to save your paint....

Attachments

• 1428B08F-B174-4933-AD55-16646AB1CBB4.png
    1428B08F-B174-4933-AD55-16646AB1CBB4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
View attachment 741672I picked up my X on Sunday. It’s amazing and would’ve been worth waiting two years if necessary. Much has improved compared to my 2017 model. I hate to see orders being pushed back for so many and honestly feel a little guilty to have received mine when others who ordered before December 24 last year still don’t have theirs. I really hope they start pumping out vins to more and more cars soon but trust me it will all be worth it when you see it for the first time.

PS: Make sure you contact Tesla immediately when your vin is assigned. If they don’t put a placeholder delivery date in the system you could lose the vin at any time.
Looks great, congratulations on the new X!. And thanks for showing the right amount of guilt ;)
If you can share some interior pics later, that would be great!

Reactions: c_v_h and T.REX
Mine just got moved to Feb as well (5 seater LR, ordered January 2021, SoCal).

The biggest frustration in this is that we all know Feb is Tesla speak for "at least April"

Very disrespectful to their customers on how they handled this. I feel bad for the people on leases. Tesla giving us bad information or no information causes people to make decisions which have very real consequences. Back in August when they told me August I was in discussions with a relative on selling them my Model S that was going to be a trade in. (and don't use the "its a placeholder" excuse... when your website tells me in August my car is arriving in August... you know, customers might actually expect their car is arriving in August. And I even called my sales rep and he told me lied to me and said they were starting to hear rumors some might be shipping soon, so be ready. Also had some repair work I would have done had I known I was driving my car for another year, but wouldn't have made sense to do if I was going to only have it for a few months.

Don't give me supply chain issues, how great the car will be, etc. Those are not excuses for a complete failure to communicate, and when you do flat out lying.
Not that Tesla have ever been great at communicating delivery timelines, but this is pretty much on par for any EVs now.
Rivian - good luck, LE orders have been baited and switched so many times, I don't expect anything before 2023
Mach-E - welcome to the wonderful world of markups and dealer interactions
No idea about Lucid, maybe they are the exception here.

I have one on order but not sure about taking it next week since the Chinese-made ones are now coming with updated computers and rear acoustic glass. New Y's are supposed to be coming out of Texas soon too so it's almost the same scenario with the X and buying technology at the end of its lifecycle.
All good points. Unfortunately, waiting longer wasn’t an option for me.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
I got a 60A circuit and the Tesla HPWC installed pretty early on, and in hindsight I wish I would've just saved $600+ and gone with a NEMA 14-50. Myself, like the overwhelming majority of EV owners who charge at home, largely do so overnight.
While It’s not a must, I think you will really enjoy your wall charger. I’ve had both ways and really like the HPWC

View attachment 741672I picked up my X on Sunday. It’s amazing and would’ve been worth waiting two years if necessary. Much has improved compared to my 2017 model. I hate to see orders being pushed back for so many and honestly feel a little guilty to have received mine when others who ordered before December 24 last year still don’t have theirs. I really hope they start pumping out vins to more and more cars soon but trust me it will all be worth it when you see it for the first time.

PS: Make sure you contact Tesla immediately when your vin is assigned. If they don’t put a placeholder delivery date in the system you could lose the vin at any time.
What’s the best way to contact someone there?
I ordered without a salesperson.

I had a January delivery date for a long time and now it moved to February, first actual update I’ve seen. sadly a negative one.
LIkewise, first update and same moved from Jan to Feb. Now I will definitely have to re-do the financing as well since I did it a couple of weeks ago, which was obviously premature. Ordered white/white 7 seats in June 2021

THis may have been discussed before, but with getting a re-approval after it expires, they do a “hard-pull” again as well? Thanks in advance and hoping those VINs come in soon for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: BM3B
I got a 60A circuit and the Tesla HPWC installed pretty early on, and in hindsight I wish I would've just saved $600+ and gone with a NEMA 14-50. Myself, like the overwhelming majority of EV owners who charge at home, largely do so overnight.
Agree. There is no significant difference in charging speed between $550 wall charger (48A) vs a $10 NEMA14-50 outlet (40A).

Reactions: Elixir
I have one on order but not sure about taking it next week since the Chinese-made ones are now coming with updated computers and rear acoustic glass. New Y's are supposed to be coming out of Texas soon too so it's almost the same scenario with the X and buying technology at the end of its lifecycle.
Those are minor updates and Tesla does them all the time. Then after that it will be 4680’s and so on and so on.. You won’t ever buy any technology because there’s always an update around the corner. I wouldn’t let those minor updates, which we have no idea when they will be integrated into the cars, stop you if you want one. Of course it’s your dough 💰

There's a whole Waiting Room thread for all of us :)
Refreshed 2021 Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

I ordered a Plaid MX in early September so many people have been waiting longer than me. When I ordered they said April and my account still says April so we shall see. I picked up a Volvo XC40 Recharge on a subscription (really a 24 month lease that includes insurance). I really like the car and can turn it in at any time after 5 months with no penalty.

Also, if you want to make yourself feel better, go over to the MS Refresh issues thread. You will be glad that they are delaying MX to give them more time to fix the new software.

The fanbois will be along shortly to tell you that you are wrong, that Tesla is the best, and no one can beat them....

Though to be fair, everyone is struggling with the supply chain impacts of the experiments are lovely governments are running on the economy.
Yeah, I’m thinking of canceling my X and trying to buy a “used” model y with under 100 miles (basically new) for the mark-up. I need a car. It’s been too long.

While It’s not a must, I think you will really enjoy your wall charger. I’ve had both ways and really like the HPWC
I've had it for 2.5 years, and it's fine - but it's definitely excessive for anyone who isn't under a time crunch to charge at home, i.e. people who just plug in their car overnight (which I'd be willing to bet is the overwhelming majority of EV drivers). The average commute in America is something like ~20 miles and with a 14-50 you'll be fully charged in <2 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: lauraut
I called this number. Thanks for the tip!

Spoke to a rep at the delivery center in Fremont. She said the VIN I was previously matched to was not matching my configuration. So Tesla had to unmatch me to that VIN becuase that VIN was not deliverable to me. She did say that my file said to put me in a priority queue.

I asked that if the issue is just a mismatched VIN, why has it been happening to so many people. She said she did not know and had not heard of this issue more broadly.
Just called this number as well and was told that no new info from when I called last week to my local store.. However, I asked about the VIN I was assigned to and whether or not I would get that VIN again or would it be a new one.. She said that theres a chance that I would get it, and if not that would be because I am on the "priority list" to get a VIN that matches my configuration. Which leads me to believe that all those that got VINs had something wrong with those cars and that once the fix is complete we'd get them or the ones that roll off the line have the problem figured out we'd get those. Considering that we have not had any VIN's since the great VIN yank of 2021, I don't believe this is a lie..
WTF is wrong with the MX? We need to read whats on the dashboards of those X's lol... We need the drone guy to fly into the back of the X that had the trunk open! We need answers!!! hahaha
this car is driving me mad... #noautopilot

Reactions: jbrowdy and Stro