Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford interests me as much as a pile of dung. The one and only dealership I dealt with couldn't even correctly install a set of snow tires bought from them shortly after taking delivery of an Explorer Sport. I literally drove 10 feet, stopped and called service over - they didn't tighten the lug nuts. How they initially drove it to me at the front and didn't encounter the problem is beyond me. My family had bought Fords before, but in reflection not one of the dealerships we dealt with delivered on quality of service. I won't ever be stepping back into any Ford dealerships and certainly won't consider another of their vehicles after a litany of problems encountered.
One benefit of the dealer model is that there is competition between them. If a dealer treats you poorly, go to a different one. If Tesla treats you poorly, go on the Internet and complain...

Plenty of things about dealers drive me nuts. But plenty of things about Tesla drives me nuts (ie this entire thread, inability to provide spare parts, etc). There is no panacea.

My money will go where I am treated the best and receive the most value. For the moment that is still Tesla (and why I am still here). But that calculus can definitely change.

The longer I'm in a Tesla, the harder it will be to leave their ecosystem.
Why? The only ecosystem they have is the SC network. If you travel long distances by car, that is absolutely a key decision factor and it will be years before the 3rd party catches up (but it will). For me, I don't do that. When I received my XC40, the EVSE that came with the car had a 14-50. I simply plugged it into the 14-50 outlet that I used for my Roadster. There was literally zero friction for me to switch manufacturers.

Reactions: Hebert
If someone doesn't want to miss out on delivery, they can give power of attorney to someone who can take delivery for them. Our friend has made arrangements to allow us to take delivery if he is out of town when his vehicle is scheduled for delivery.
Exactly. I have given Power of Attorney to other people in similar situations to take delivery of an item on my behalf. Where applicable, I also made my insurance agent aware that this person was doing this pickup.

Folks that are trading in a tesla for a refresh MX -- are you putting odometer readings and photos in now or do we wait until closer to delivery? I was initially listed for January now it says February. Also -- should we commit to a financing options now, or closer to delivery? things seemed so much smoother with my MS and M3 deliveries in the past, this seems so much more haphazard!
Wait on all that you mentioned until you get a VIN assigned.

February is a big fat guess, so don't get ahead of yourself.

Folks that are trading in a tesla for a refresh MX -- are you putting odometer readings and photos in now or do we wait until closer to delivery? I was initially listed for January now it says February. Also -- should we commit to a financing options now, or closer to delivery? things seemed so much smoother with my MS and M3 deliveries in the past, this seems so much more haphazard!
I'd upload that info now. They will ask you to update the mileage monthly. Every time I've done that, they've increased my trade-in value!

Reactions: croman and Elixir
Ford interests me as much as a pile of dung. The one and only dealership I dealt with couldn't even correctly install a set of snow tires bought from them shortly after taking delivery of an Explorer Sport. I literally drove 10 feet, stopped and called service over - they didn't tighten the lug nuts. How they initially drove it to me at the front and didn't encounter the problem is beyond me. My family had bought Fords before, but in reflection not one of the dealerships we dealt with delivered on quality of service. I won't ever be stepping back into any Ford dealerships and certainly won't consider another of their vehicles after a litany of problems encountered.
I owned two of Fords top vehicles. A Shelby GT350R and a Raptor truck, and I liked the cars. But the service was so bad and as TrevTremaine says above, half the time I would have to diagnose the problem myself and tell them what was wrong. After four years, I had had enough. Couldn’t take it. Bye bye Ford

Ford Lightning Orders opening up in Jan. Wonder when they'll actually start delivering. May come before my X.
First deliveries are sometime in mid-late 2022, early 2023. If you order now you are probably 3-4 years out unless they ramp much faster than they have stated. Like everyone else, they are parts constrained. They have partially assembled gas and diesel trucks parked at plants and rented spaces.

First deliveries are sometime in mid-late 2022, early 2023. If you order now you are probably 3-4 years out unless they ramp much faster than they have stated. Like everyone else, they are parts constrained. They have partially assembled gas and diesel trucks parked at plants and rented spaces.
I believe @Stro has a day 1 Lightning reservation so hopefully will get his truck in 2022. I foolishly didn't do that and only reserved back in August. I probably won't get mine until 2024. Which puts it around the same time that CTs will be rolling out in volume. The good news I will be able to learn from the early adopters and make an informed choice as to which one I want.

I believe @Stro has a day 1 Lightning reservation so hopefully will get his truck in 2022. I foolishly didn't do that and only reserved back in August. I probably won't get mine until 2024. Which puts it around the same time that CTs will be rolling out in volume. The good news I will be able to learn from the early adopters and make an informed choice as to which one I want.
If he has a day one reservation he may very well get in 2022. I was about a week in and project closer to 2023/2024. And given my previous experience with Ford vehicles, I am OK with waiting for them to get the kinks out. 3 years and 2 recalls, and they never did fix my Escape V-6 from shutting the engine off when you came down a highway off-ramp

Finally got a glimpse of a refreshed Model X in a parking lot while running some errands near my home. (I don't stalk the Service Centers or the factory, and I work from home, so sighting opportunities are limited.) No pictures, only got a quick look as I was driving past, but it had a black exterior, California temp paper plates, and the new-style front end. It felt like I'd spotted Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

Back to waiting...

Bruce.

Finally got a glimpse of a refreshed Model X in a parking lot while running some errands near my home. (I don't stalk the Service Centers or the factory, and I work from home, so sighting opportunities are limited.) No pictures, only got a quick look as I was driving past, but it had a black exterior, California temp paper plates, and the new-style front end. It felt like I'd spotted Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

Back to waiting...

Bruce.
Bruce - I got the same glimpse. Stopped by Bari in Chicago today to grab the best Italian sub in the city for lunch. It's right next to the Chicago Grand Ave delivery center. There was a 2021 VIN , Deep Blue Metallic with All Black interior, 6 seater and 20" Cyberstream wheels prepped for delivery for a lucky VINer named "Justin" ... it was very nice to see one in person but it only drove deeper FOMO with me.

They are really beautiful and I hope February holds for my EDD :)

Random question I just had.. I don't recall from any previous orders - do we select WHERE we pick our car up from during ordering?

When I ordered originally I split time between southern WI and MN and will likely still register in WI. However WI doesn't allow Tesla direct sales, so everyone goes to Chicago to pickup. My goal was always to pick up in MN from the center 20 minutes away from my house here.

I'm too nervous to reach out to ask for any changes and mess up the possibility of a VIN anytime soon haha
We looked into a different SC for delivery since there were none in NM due to the same law. We found it was going to be easier to fly into Denver than Colorado Springs which was set as our closest SC. Fortunately, Tesla got around NM law and opened an SC north of Santa Fe on Pueblo land about 25 mi. from where we live. Got a message from Tesla last month that our delivery location changed to Santa Fe. This has not appeared to change anything in our delivery status which went from January to TBD like so many others.

Reactions: NGKempf

Back to waiting...

Bruce.
seems like we will surely see a bigfoot before we see our Model X😂😂