Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted previously about getting a VIN for my Model X LR MSM 6 door FSD that I ordered on 8/1/21. I got the VIN 7 days ago and I took delivery today. I was told previous person car was assigned had their financing fall through and I was next person to match the build.

Car is immaculate. Can identify no issues whatsoever. Not a single scratch. It’s like a space ship. I am coming from a Model 3 (now going to be my spouses) and the only thing that I noticed is a quiet whining sound coming from front engine when driving or accelerating. Only time I heard this in my Model 3 was when rear seats were folded down since mine was RWD. Don’t know if anyone has ever experienced this whining sound.

Couple of random facts: it is a 2022 and it came with the new AMD Ryzen chip.
I had a similar whining issue on my 2017 X. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the frunk area. After a few service visits and test drives with SC techs we were able to identify the noise coming from a combination of the driver side quarter glass panel (small triangle panel in front of mirror) as well as the rubber sealing between the door and the glass. There was a gap that when air hit it the right (wrong) way created a quiet whining sound. This might not be your issue but something to look into!
Gotta hand it to Sawyer Merritt.
I literally lol’d when I read this (see the X numbers available). 😂😑

How does Tesla end up with so many "new" cars available for purchase!? This concerns me for two reasons. 1. There is a huge backlog of hundreds of thousands of cars. Surely with a few hundred new cars for sale they must match someone's configuration. 2. Why are they spending time/resources producing what I am going to refer to as "extra" or "unqueued" cars that nobody asked for when they have (Model X) reservations to fulfill 😉

But who am I to tell Tesla how to run their company or even begin to understand their process 😅 Just another example of a bad look without proper communication.

I had a similar whining issue on my 2017 X. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the frunk area. After a few service visits and test drives with SC techs we were able to identify the noise coming from a combination of the driver side quarter glass panel (small triangle panel in front of mirror) as well as the rubber sealing between the door and the glass. There was a gap that when air hit it the right (wrong) way created a quiet whining sound. This might not be your issue but something to look into!

How does Tesla end up with so many "new" cars available for purchase!? This concerns me for two reasons. 1. There is a huge backlog of hundreds of thousands of cars. Surely with a few hundred new cars for sale they must match someone's configuration. 2. Why are they spending time/resources producing what I am going to refer to as "extra" or "unqueued" cars that nobody asked for when they have (Model X) reservations to fulfill 😉

But who am I to tell Tesla how to run their company or even begin to understand their process 😅 Just another example of a bad look without proper communication.
There is a minimum batch size. That’s my guess regarding so many cars available for sale.

Just got an email from Rivian. I will be getting an expected delivery window later today. Based on what I am reading, it looks possible that I may be able to take delivery in 2022. Will update here later today for those that are curious.

Taking delivery on my MX would be a tough call if it looked like the delivery date was only separated by a few months. Of course, Tesla gives you no way of making an informed decision on the competition. In my opinion, this is by design. I don't think they are evil or nefarious. I know this year has been incredibly difficult, and Tesla has shocked the world by setting records despite the pandemic. But, I also do believe that they may be willfully making an attempt to obfuscate information, in part to suppress customers' urge to buy something else. At a minimum, they are not being forthright, which (in my opinion, and that's all it is) gives them an unfair advantage over competitors. Before you jump in an say: "There is no competition", keep in mind, numerous people here have said they would have ordered an F150, a Rivian or even an ICE, had they been more informed.

There is a minimum batch size. That’s my guess regarding so many cars available for sale.
Even with a minimum batch size why not match the extra cars with people who have spent months waiting for them? Surely with as many people that are waiting for them they must match someone's configuration.

Look at it in terms of the Model X. Assuming Tesla did the same thing for us I am sure some of the people with unfulfilled X reservations from last year that haven't received their car yet would be pretty unhappy that they are selling new Xs to people that haven't waited a year+.

I am not saying this to you directly @Stro I am more asking the question rhetorically.

RPM promises aftermarket steering WHEEL:

I loved this! Maybe this forum has seen this before and I missed it, but this was the first time I saw the new speakers and coat hooks in the video at 19:10. I knew they existed but haven't seen them yet. Certainly a new feature from my 2017 X.
coat.png

Even with a minimum batch size why not match the extra cars with people who have spent months waiting for them? Surely with as many people that are waiting for them they must match someone's configuration.

Look at it in terms of the Model X. Assuming Tesla did the same thing for us I am sure some of the people with unfulfilled X reservations from last year that haven't received their car yet would be pretty unhappy that they are selling new Xs to people that haven't waited a year+.

I am not saying this to you directly @Stro I am more asking the question rhetorically.
Are there people still waiting for MSPs? I thought they cleared that backlog a bit ago.

I can’t believe this was at Irvine. I was just there a couple hours before this looking around. And then there was a black one at the beginning of the video and a MSM ready for delivery too! So there’s at least three in OC!

I bet tesla switched the line to making all X plaid and that’s why we are seeing plaid VINs now and no LR vins. Probably they build plaid only for a few weeks so January will be light for LR VINs. Just my speculation which is as good as an SAs facts :p.
Based on the flyovers, building them (LR) is not the problem. Delivering them in finished condition is. Is it just that the fit and finish is so bad coming off the line that each car has to be individually adjusted and tweaked, for which they only have a few guys working on them so they can focus their manpower on Y's and 3's? Hard to tell but the deliveries are crazy slow and the X's are piling up.