Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So oddly, My May 2021 LR 5 seat order is still unsurprisingly "February" with "building your car" in the app

But my December 2021 Plaid 6 seat order change to TBD today from "October" :rolleyes: with "schedule delivery appointment" in the app

Wonder if/what this may mean. My experiment continues....
If 5 seater is “standard” why are we last in line? Waiting. Waiting. Also, not having bought any car in 15 years, let alone a Tesla, I am having anxiety re delivery window and payment. I am about 250 miles from the delivery center at best and 750 miles possible. and am not doing a trade in and have no other car. I have a dog to kennel. I need time to get logistics worked out. Time needed to finalize financing, insurance. Can’t do either without VIN. Reassurance would be nice.

If 5 seater is “standard” why are we last in line? Waiting. Waiting. Also, not having bought any car in 15 years, let alone a Tesla, I am having anxiety re delivery window and payment. I am about 250 miles from the delivery center at best and 750 miles possible. and am not doing a trade in and have no other car. I have a dog to kennel. I need time to get logistics worked out. Time needed to finalize financing, insurance. Can’t do either without VIN. Reassurance would be nice.
Has to be about $$$ and profit margin I would assume ☹️

Reactions: Prairie and IAMCCF
Wishful thinking I know but should we “unionize” and threaten cancellation if a good chunk of us (say Jan-Apr 2021 orders which looks to be +150 from the tracking spreadsheet) if we don’t get VINs by end of this month (EDD Feb) or if we don’t get at least some communication? I know wishful thinking trying to organize but there are a lot of people here following and hoping and praying and I’m kinda pissed seeing 2nd half 2021 orders getting their cars.

Would be a significant order book after they spent capex on this assembly line.

Could do a change.org petition with people using reservation numbers and then signing up to pledge and push this stern warning to Tesla 😂.
I **REALLY** don’t think there’s ANY malintent on Tesla’s part. I think they are working literally around the clock to deliver the best possible products to all customers as soon as physically possible.

I do think Tesla needs a better system-wide organization. But it would be a Herculean task, let alone given that Tesla appears to be frequently self-restructuring based on first-principles ideas.

I **REALLY** don’t think there’s ANY malintent on Tesla’s part. I think they are working literally around the clock to deliver the best possible products to all customers as soon as physically possible.

I do think Tesla needs a better system-wide organization. But it would be a Herculean task, let alone given that Tesla appears to be frequently self-restructuring based on first-principles ideas.
Completely disagree! The QC issues prove they are prioritizing delivery numbers over the best possible product. The X specifically has had issues since vin 1 that are still showing up in the refresh or even the common paint drips or even lack of paint. I love Tesla and it’s about all I’ll buy but I’m also going to be truthful about their faults. The issue is they have no competition to push them to improve yet.

It’s not malintent to decide to make you most profitable configurations first, the malintent is not telling the order holders what your plan is. When I ordered my MX in 2020 the seat configuration was not an issue on delivery . Whether you ordered a 5,6 or 7 seater… it would be ready be 3 month. Now 6 seaters have been produced solely since October. No clue when the seven seaters will start and how long till the five seaters begin after that. It will really be disappointing to be a six seater that doesn’t make the cut before the switch to seven seaters….

Completely disagree! The QC issues prove they are prioritizing delivery numbers over the best possible product. The X specifically has had issues since vin 1 that are still showing up in the refresh or even the common paint drips or even lack of paint. I love Tesla and it’s about all I’ll buy but I’m also going to be truthful about their faults. The issue is they have no competition to push them to improve yet.
You may have a nugget or two of truth here. 🤷🏼‍♂️

At least Tesla DOES have the traditional car Mfrs competing for our business with traditional gas cars… so there’s that. Elon himself has repeatedly stated that other EV efforts are not the competition but rather traditional gas cars mfrs.

It might seem stupid to compare, but to people who aren’t in the know (read: idk at least 50% of the population?!) Tesla Model X is a nice SUV like the [quickly googles premium SUVs] Porsche Cayenne or Audi Q7 or Land Rover Range Rover.

Now, I have pretty much ZERO interest in those vehicles, but I know most premium SUV buyers in my life would not blink at “comparing” them.
(🤣🙄🤮 wt literal FFFFF)
In fact they all have bought various premium traditional SUVs. Tesla is BY NO MEANS dominating the SUV market.

I agree they're not being malicious and I'm sure people are working hard but after the 3rd time moving an estimated delivery date for a 6-figure commitment, I think it warrants some direct communication with your customers or a blog post at least to tell us what's up. That's why I'm on the brink here where...ok this thing does exist in the wild, and I'm hoping my Feb EDD is legit but if they move this again without any word I wanted to throw some idea out here in case people want to organize a digital "crowd with pitch forks" haha.

And as for updates, I hope they're not banking on everyone watching drone footage or scouring a 700+ page thread all day at all hours to get some % of the truth.

It’s not malintent to decide to make you most profitable configurations first, the malintent is not telling the order holders what your plan is. When I ordered my MX in 2020 the seat configuration was not an issue on delivery . Whether you ordered a 5,6 or 7 seater… it would be ready be 3 month. Now 6 seaters have been produced solely since October. No clue when the seven seaters will start and how long till the five seaters begin after that. It will really be disappointing to be a six seater that doesn’t make the cut before the switch to seven seaters….
100%! I'm an original 6 seat order late Feb '21. But I also think for the ramp up they won't just stop 6 seat production all together and it'll be more like batches: this day 6 seat, this day 5 seat, next day 7 seat, etc. but overall for the next few months there's a good mix. I think it should be reasonable to expect from a market leader/innovative $1T company that order dates matter and that most people should get their cars in the order they were received or tell us what the plan is.

After ordering in January 2021, we took delivery of our refresh on 12/30. We have a few "sign here" tags from Tesla, as well as the steering wheel worm issue highlighted above, but otherwise so far so good.View attachment 750922
Congratulations!

For those of us who haven't taken delivery of a Tesla recently, what are "sign here" tags and what's their relationship to "otherwise so far so good"?

Thanks,

Bruce.

I think it should be reasonable to expect from a market leader/innovative $1T company that order dates matter and that most people should get their cars in the order they were received or tell us what the plan is.
Yes. But it’s not going to matter or change. You can choose to be frustrated about it, but it is the way it is.

The car will come when it will come. Tesla isn’t going to communicate the status. Each person can decide what they will do about it. If you cancel, there are others in line. Will that impact Tesla long term? Maybe. Maybe not.

I get it. Plenty of people don’t like it. Now what?

Yes. But it’s not going to matter or change. You can choose to be frustrated about it, but it is the way it is.

The car will come when it will come. Tesla isn’t going to communicate the status. Each person can decide what they will do about it. If you cancel, there are others in line. Will that impact Tesla long term? Maybe. Maybe not.

I get it. Plenty of people don’t like it. Now what?
I guess I'll do the only thing that's left: run for office. I'll be sending out a link for donations here and will only be accepting from MX reservation holders. Running on 1 plank: equity for MX orders past present and future!

But seriously, yes I agree, nothing will change. But I feel a little better so that counts.

I agree they're not being malicious and I'm sure people are working hard but after the 3rd time moving an estimated delivery date for a 6-figure commitment, I think it warrants some direct communication with your customers or a blog post at least to tell us what's up. That's why I'm on the brink here where...ok this thing does exist in the wild, and I'm hoping my Feb EDD is legit but if they move this again without any word I wanted to throw some idea out here in case people want to organize a digital "crowd with pitch forks" haha.

And as for updates, I hope they're not banking on everyone watching drone footage or scouring a 700+ page thread all day at all hours to get some % of the truth.

100%! I'm an original 6 seat order late Feb '21. But I also think for the ramp up they won't just stop 6 seat production all together and it'll be more like batches: this day 6 seat, this day 5 seat, next day 7 seat, etc. but overall for the next few months there's a good mix. I think it should be reasonable to expect from a market leader/innovative $1T company that order dates matter and that most people should get their cars in the order they were received or tell us what the plan is.
Great point on the moving goalposts on delivery dates constantly. I don’t keep any cash in my bank accounts outside covering for monthly expenses. I invest, literally, every extra penny of surplus I have. When I was originally told to expect delivery in, I believe, February I sold around 50k in stock because I planned on financing the remainder. That instantly causes a tax hit for 2021. Tesla never directly communicated with me that it would be delayed to, I think, April, I found out on twitter and here. So I had a tax hit and $ sitting in an account not working for me for over a month. This cycle, as you know, repeated itself several times with me reinvesting and cashing out and again incurring tax hits and holding non working money, with zero communication.

Now I’m back with cash in my account not working for me because Tesla have decided to sometimes hit people on this forum with “you can have your car but only if you can take delivery today or tomorrow”. Sorry but that’s BS and incompetent management and planning on their part, that part has nothing to do with supply chain issues. I’m sure they’ve cost me potential profits greater than the cost of my X at this point.

the malintent is not telling the order holders what your plan is
Yeah, but it is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of situation for them. Their plans are changing so often that telling you a plan would likely not be any use since it will change 5 times before you get your car. They are likely constantly battling changing production issues, work force issues, supply issues, shipping issues, weather, etc. The "plan" Tesla communicates is the EDD, and obviously they can't even get that vague level of detail accurate. Something more specific wouldn't be any better off.

Great point on the moving goalposts on delivery dates constantly. I don’t keep any cash in my bank accounts outside covering for monthly expenses. I invest, literally, every extra penny of surplus I have. When I was originally told to expect delivery in, I believe, February I sold around 50k in stock because I planned on financing the remainder. That instantly causes a tax hit for 2021. Tesla never directly communicated with me that it would be delayed to, I think, April, I found out on twitter and here. So I had a tax hit and $ sitting in an account not working for me for over a month. This cycle, as you know, repeated itself several times with me reinvesting and cashing out and again incurring tax hits and holding non working money, with zero communication.

Now I’m back with cash in my account not working for me because Tesla have decided to sometimes hit people on this forum with “you can have your car but only if you can take delivery today or tomorrow”. Sorry but that’s BS and incompetent management and planning on their part, that part has nothing to do with supply chain issues. I’m sure they’ve cost me potential profits greater than the cost of my X at this point.
Sort of the same with me but the worst outcome: I sold stock, had the cash and hilariously recently saw my old text to my SA about just prepaying the whole thing back in Feb/March but didn't, order got delayed from June to October so I bought Dec options (not in TSLA), and yeah they just expired worthless, so now I need to sell more...

Live and learn.

Reactions: Gurl3x4me
I miss radar... there's nothing to gain by removing it.. other than cost to Tesla.

I love cream color!

It will be just added weight if software is not using radar signal. Even though I was skeptical first, it makes sense not to use radar. Poor quality image vs HD camera image. So it is pointless in good weather. There is a very low use case in inclement weather but if camera can’t see it then it probably not safe to allow FSD driving anyway.

Me too. I ordered Cream. I think it gives the same good looks as white with slight added benefit of cover for normal wear.

Reactions: T3slafan2500

This doesn’t sound like the best financial strategy to be honest. If you’re intent on buying your Tesla by liquidating stock, you don’t have to do it ahead of time. You’re always going to be guessing on when you need the money to be available. Just finance it through Tesla initially and when the delivery and everything actually goes through, then liquidate what you need to and pay off the financed balance.

I got my VIN today!! 2022 MX Plaid (white / white / carbon fiber / 6-seat / 22” wheels / FSD) still showing February delivery, so hopefully having been assigned my VIN means that window is now secure. Ordered toward the end of July 2021.

View attachment 750684

Congrats!!! Below is not directed towards you. Hope you get your delivery soon.

But wait a minute… how are you getting a VIN? How do you pass a February 2021 order? It is no longer end of quarter so that argument doesn’t hold water.

Rhetorical questions…frustrated with Tesla logic!

Last edited:
This doesn’t sound like the best financial strategy to be honest. If you’re intent on buying your Tesla by liquidating stock, you don’t have to do it ahead of time. You’re always going to be guessing on when you need the money to be available. Just finance it through Tesla initially and when the delivery and everything actually goes through, then liquidate what you need to and pay off the financed balance.
Well, that’s the point, isn’t it? They told me I’d be receiving it early 2021, whenever it was, even confirmed by Elon himself that they would be delivering within his famous two weeks, then pulled it with zero communication. I already took the hit on the initial failed promise delivery date by cashing out what I was paying up front. From then it was fail me once, No twice…

Got tired of managing with single car and booked a Model Y last week, got it delivered in the config (blue/white) last night at 9 30 pm at my house as part of year end push. Now my 7 seater X can take its own time. Not what I was planning to do, but happy with Y so far.
This is the best thing you did. I booked red LR Mx 7 seater 12/27/2020 and I’m still waiting. But at least I’m not frustrated once I took delivery for model Y in May 2020. I’ll still get Mx when it’s available. My account now says February.
Rep called me in October if I was interested in switching to 6 seater but I declined as I need 7 seater.