Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That had to be a joke, right?
Nope, serious question. In general, I am trying to gauge lead times. Getting one at the exact end of my current lease is not critical since we have M3 to drive. But I much prefer the X over the M3. I will probably test a MY also since they seem to be stacking up at the Service Center's Logistic Point.

Last edited:
Nope, serious question. In general, I am trying to gauge lead times. Getting one at the exact end of my current lease is not critical since we have M3 to drive. But I much prefer the X over the M3. I will probably test a MY also since they seem to be stacking up at the Service Center's Logistic Point.
So, to answer the question: it's difficult to assess exactly. There are variables coming from Tesla, especially since this is just starting the refresh. Right now, there's no official Model X production ongoing as they're still in the process of ramping it up. Heck, there's not even been any refreshed Model S deliveries so far as I know and that model is supposed to have about a month's lead time over the X. Top it all off, there's a lot of orders pending since the refresh (not to mention the backlog of the outstanding orders prior to the announcement). It's best to do the order as soon as possible, but anticipate since you've not put an order in you might be without a car for a short while. You can, depending upon the configuration, put an order in, deny the delivery if it comes in too early and ask for the next one - that was recommended by a Sales Associate to me.

Last edited:
So, to answer the question: it's difficult to assess exactly. There are variables coming from Tesla, especially since this is just starting the refresh. Right now, there's no official Model X production ongoing as they're still in the process of ramping it up. Heck, there's not even been any refreshed Model S deliveries so far as I know and that model is supposed to have about a month's lead time over the X. Top it all off, there's a lot of orders pending since the refresh. It's best to do the order as soon as possible, but anticipate since you've not put an order in you might be without a car for a short while. You can, depending upon the configuration, put an order in, deny the delivery if it comes in too early and ask for the next one - that was recommended by a Sales Associate to me.
I am working with someone from the Tesla Leasing program to get it situated. But, I need a test drive before I commit, especially if they have the yoke steering wheel. If they do and you cannot execute a 3 point backing into Supercharge stall easily it is a no-buy for me.

I am working with someone from the Tesla Leasing program to get it situated. But, I need a test drive before I commit, especially if they have the yoke steering wheel. If they do and you cannot execute a 3 point backing into Supercharge stall easily it is a no-buy for me.
Got it. Can’t you just order and if for some reason it is actually early, defer delivery? I’ve done that for six months on a Model Y.

Reactions: bhzmark
I'm in the same boat with my Tesla lease, so I considered virtually everything you've said. If you're leasing a Tesla, then you might have an option to extend the lease. I had the same thought as you about the Yoke, but I'm actually more concerned about gear shift and where they're going to locate it. My SA has it in his agenda to call me for a test drive once a Model S comes into the showroom. Nonetheless, I made a decision to go with the X. I suspect I'll adapt to the changes whether it be the Yoke or the gear shift.

I'm in the same boat with my Tesla lease, so I considered virtually everything you've said. If you're leasing a Tesla, then you might have an option to extend the lease. I had the same thought as you about the Yoke, but I'm actually more concerned about gear shift and where they're going to locate it. My SA has it in his agenda to call me for a test drive once a Model S comes into the showroom. Nonetheless, I made a decision to go with the X. I suspect I'll adapt to the changes whether it be the Yoke or the gear shift.
I think a lot of cars nowadays, are putting Park - Forward - Reverse on switches or buttons on the console. I am not a huge fan of that. I prefer something mechanical like the stalk or console shift with a gate that prevents shiting shifting into reverse, or at least makes it a bit harder. And like you, someone is supposed to get me a test drive in the new X.

I am about 10 miles from the factory, and have a staging area for car transport loading 3 miles away. It is filling with 3s and Ys. I have been checking it out hoping to see a new X so I can peak in the window, but so far none have arrived.

So do people still have a month listed for delivery? Mine is blank and always had been blank. Original order was early January, and refresh day after announcement.
My 1/31 order had ‘April’ delivery for the first few weeks and then disappeared and then came back briefly but has been gone for the last several weeks. MS and X are obviously delayed at this point. Elon said MS was in production during the earnings call almost two months ago but something is obviously delaying it. My theory is nhtsa approval but could be parts shortage or something else.

I think a lot of cars nowadays, are putting Park - Forward - Reverse on switches or buttons on the console. I am not a huge fan of that. I prefer something mechanical like the stalk or console shift with a gate that prevents shiting shifting into reverse, or at least makes it a bit harder. And like you, someone is supposed to get me a test drive in the new X.

I am about 10 miles from the factory, and have a staging area for car transport loading 3 miles away. It is filling with 3s and Ys. I have been checking it out hoping to see a new X so I can peak in the window, but so far none have arrived.
Have you seen any MS on the filling lot.

They aren't making any refreshed S cars - or so it would seem, so they certainly won't be pumping out Xs this month.

I don't think the yoke is the delay. Just seems like it wouldn't take that long when European governments approved it, sight unseen. If it was an issue, they could put regular wheels on the first 1,000, get them out the door and retrofit later. Gotta be a bigger issue. They'll probably blame it on the microchip shortage for the 10 teraflop "gaming" system in the backseat...on an 8" screen...at shin level.

I will say, I am now just considering getting MCU2 in my AP1 P90D and perhaps just waiting until next year when, invariably, the X will have 400+ miles of range and a missile option - or a plethora of other heretofore unknown options.

Just remember, good things come to those who wait.

I'm with you on the gear shift. No matter how intuitive the car is, it cannot predict one's thoughts and can cause frustration if the car decides to go in the opposite direction you need it to go. Removing the stalk is the wrong thing to have done. Even if they put a knob like on the VW ID.4 it's better than the rumour that Tesla's putting buttons at the bottom of the center console next to the Hazards. It's got to be in a place that's intuitive and easily accessed, especially for maneuvers like parallel parking (God knows Tesla's self-parking at this point is too slow and randomly accessible).

I gather you're accumulating a lot of miles just driving by the factory - I'll love to hear when something substantial comes out.

I'm with you on the gear shift. No matter how intuitive the car is, it cannot predict one's thoughts and can cause frustration if the car decides to go in the opposite direction you need it to go. Removing the stalk is the wrong thing to have done. Even if they put a knob like on the VW ID.4 it's better than the rumour that Tesla's putting buttons at the bottom of the center console next to the Hazards. It's got to be in a place that's intuitive and easily accessed, especially for maneuvers like parallel parking (God knows Tesla's self-parking at this point is too slow and randomly accessible).

I gather you're accumulating a lot of miles just driving by the factory - I'll love to hear when something substantial comes out.
I have had a Ford rental for the last week. The gear selector is a knob on the console as close to the front of the console as the proposed buttons...just different which will throw some people off for a while.

Not too much different than other changes Tesla has made over the years with the stalks. Our first Model S had an on / off button for cruise control. Many people were appalled that the button was removed :eek: .....shortly after it was forgotten and has worked fine since. Just a change...not a life changer...

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeofURL

I am not driving by the factory very often. What I have seen are some of the vehicle drop areas Tesla has in the Bay area. There are some at SF Bay ports where they load cars onto car-carrying ships, and also have similar facilities at railyards. The factory also has a rail spur. There are other drops at various freeway-accessible locations. The one is by my house is in a shutdown office building's parking lot and 1/4 mile from the intersection of two major interstates. I believe what happens is the factory drops cars in bulk at these locations, and then other transports come and pickup cars to get them to Service Centers and non-local delivery centers.

Last edited:
I don't think Tesla knows, exactly, where they want to put the buttons for PRND. If we look at the mules, one had markings with tape, others had nothing. I do think they HAVE to have something (as Elon said) and they're likely trying to figure out where to put it as they don't want buttons, it can't be on the display in case of failure, but I don't think "force touch" like on the steering wheel is going to be acceptable to regulators.

In the meantime, if they'd waited to announce until this (or whatever the delay issue(s) is/are) was figured out, they could've been delivering "old" S and X cars, even though low volume, in Q1 instead of delivering nothing.