Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As it stands, we have no idea if they have even begun making these. So, even pure speculation cannot lend itself to a hope for delivery. Even the S's they delivered in Q2 were around 1900 units. The S and the X allows Tesla to record around 6 or 7 billion dollars in revenue. That is perilously close to being slashed significantly. I'm guessing something is up with one or both of these, and we won't see them truly ramp up until that something is resolved. 3s and Ys continue to be built and shipped. A MYP is showing 6 to 8 weeks for delivery, M3P is 5 to 8 etc.

Are we sure there were no X's in the recent Flyover video???

View attachment 694184

View attachment 694185

View attachment 694186

These screenshots are from within the first 2 mins of the video.
Good spotting. I actually think most of these are test vehicles that have been sitting around for a while. I am cautiously optimistic about that first pic though because that appears to be a holding area for delivery ready vehicles (I haven't seen them clustered there previously). That said, it's hard to tell if that white one is pre or post refresh, especially because the trim protection film is white so we can't tell if it has been chrome deleted.

As it stands, we have no idea if they have even begun making these. So, even pure speculation cannot lend itself to a hope for delivery. Even the S's they delivered in Q2 were around 1900 units. The S and the X allows Tesla to record around 6 or 7 billion dollars in revenue. That is perilously close to being slashed significantly. I'm guessing something is up with one or both of these, and we won't see them truly ramp up until that something is resolved. 3s and Ys continue to be built and shipped. A MYP is showing 6 to 8 weeks for delivery, M3P is 5 to 8 etc.
Does anyone know how many X units are reserved?

Combined sales of X/S in 2020 = 57,039 vehicles - Tesla combines reporting for X/S and 3/Y. End of Q2, 2021, Tesla had delivered just under 1900 MS, and 0 MX. In 2020, speculation was rampant that Tesla was updating the MS and MX, which may have subdued the number of cars ordered. The outstanding orders then is fairly substantial, and no sign of a robust delivery schedule yet.

Reactions: Elixir
I just really want to see a video of someone giving their full review of this refresh X. Even just that would be nice. We've gotten nothing but just unicorn shots of people having found this thing in the wild.

That won't happen until actual production cars start getting built, shipped, and delivered.

Bruce.

Combined sales of X/S in 2020 = 57,039 vehicles - Tesla combines reporting for X/S and 3/Y. End of Q2, 2021, Tesla had delivered just under 1900 MS, and 0 MX. In 2020, speculation was rampant that Tesla was updating the MS and MX, which may have subdued the number of cars ordered. The outstanding orders then is fairly substantial, and no sign of a robust delivery schedule yet.
It never fails to amaze me what big business auto manufacturing is. So many zeroes. That's roughly $4.5Beelion in gross revenue based on an ~$80k average sale price. And if you assume the average sticker was probably actually closer to $90k...that's more like rounding up to five beeeeeelion dollarbucks. For a relatively low-volume, niche vehicle.

The Honda accord, alone, a relatively inexpensive car in a declining segment, is still a ~6 billion dollar industry. Just in Canada/US.

Reactions: jkhanesq
It never fails to amaze me what big business auto manufacturing is. So many zeroes. That's roughly $4.5Beelion in gross revenue based on an ~$80k average sale price. And if you assume the average sticker was probably actually closer to $90k...that's more like rounding up to five beeeeeelion dollarbucks. For a relatively low-volume, niche vehicle.

The Honda accord, alone, is a ~6 billion dollar industry.
Indeed. All reasons that indicate that there are unsolved issues beyond supply chain challenges with the X and S. Tesla will want to book this revenue in 2021. Our best hope is that there is a containment hold until things show up, and cars can be completed. Otherwise, we are all waiting a long(er) time.

Indeed. All reasons that indicate that there are unsolved issues beyond supply chain challenges with the X and S. Tesla will want to book this revenue in 2021. Our best hope is that there is a containment hold until things show up, and cars can be completed. Otherwise, we are all waiting a long(er) time.
Weary about waiting, so many other options around., even they have waits too. I just want the X to ship....quite a mess in the world today.

Reactions: Ormond
Just to add some humor to this thread.... My cell phone rings around 3pm today and the caller ID says "Tesla" with 949 area code number. I answer and a woman says she was from Tesla and wanted to know if I wanted to replace my current Model X with a new Model X or Model S. I asked if she was calling to give me a delivery date for the Model X Plaid that I ordered in January. She says "uhh, what order for a Model X Plaid... do you have multiple Tesla.com accounts?" I'm like, "nope, I have one Tesla.com account with my current cars and my reservation number for my new Model X". She fumbles around on the computer for a few minutes and then says "I'm sorry, I see your reservation. I'll update our sales records and I apologize that we called you." I asked if she had any news on my Model X delivery, and of course she knew nothing as she was just "calling down the list of existing customers."

Oh well, my hopes for delivery soon were dashed again.....oh well :(

Another thing that is weird.. I had to resubmit my trade in info (for the 9th time) since i have had a RN since Nov 2020 (current August EDD). This time I'm still waiting for a trade in estimate (its been 7 days).. usually i hear in 6 hours maybe correlated to seeing if they are actually going to deliver the car? I feel like if there was a delay to early 2022 they would have just updated everyones EDD's but i guess time will tell.
Similar issue for me. Reserved in Feb 2021 and have had to resubmit my trade info multiple times (all just with a mileage update). The last trade-in expiration was July 2nd with a request for both photos and mileage this time. Crickets ever since.

Oddly though, I got tired of waiting for the X plaid and put in an order for a similarly spec'd S plaid on July 21st, also with a trade for the same X. I got a trade-in valuation the next day, up about 8k from the previous valuation in February, even though the I put about 20k miles on the car. The S Plaid started off with a July delivery window on the day I ordered it. That went unchanged until August 4th or so when it vanished.

Both are MSM / white / carbon fiber

Similar issue for me. Reserved in Feb 2021 and have had to resubmit my trade info multiple times (all just with a mileage update). The last trade-in expiration was July 2nd with a request for both photos and mileage this time. Crickets ever since.

Oddly though, I got tired of waiting for the X plaid and put in an order for a similarly spec'd S plaid on July 21st, also with a trade for the same X. I got a trade-in valuation the next day, up about 8k from the previous valuation in February, even though the I put about 20k miles on the car. The S Plaid started off with a July delivery window on the day I ordered it. That went unchanged until August 4th or so when it vanished.

I really want a larger car than my Model 3P so I'm considering buying a used 2020 model x of some type and just upgrading whenever MXP comes around. My dog has become quite large in 3 years and going anywhere with any bit of distance is an issue in the 3.

Also, why does the MXP spotted in the logistics lot today have a giant piece of masking tape on the back? 🤣

Last edited:

I did the same and took delivery on the model S Plaid. Sold it about 10 days later. If you like the MX, stick with it!