Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do realize that Tesla has delivered Record numbers this year right? They have chips...it just makes better business sense to put them in MYs and M3s which are selling at significantly higher volumes.
Choices... Just not the outcome we (in this thread) would want.
Tell that to everyone who shields tesla with "but they don't have the chips"

And why does it make sense to use parts to make less-margin MY and M3 over higher margin MX?? Your point doesn't make any business sense.

The shortages holding back the Model X are likely limited to something specific to the Model S & X or just the X. Perhaps the MCU chips for the S & X for example. In this case if you have limited supply of something that is for just the S & X, and the S has already been released, while the X has not, then you push those chips, parts, etc that are in limited supply to the vehicle that has already started shipping.

Reactions: MxTaycan and TWENT2

And why does it make sense to use parts to make less-margin MY and M3 over higher margin MX?? Your point doesn't make any business sense.
In manufacturing, there is a minimum batch size to make, otherwise your fixed and variable costs will be much higher on a per unit basis, therefore making the X/S not so great margin-wise. But like others have mentioned, there has to be a part that's only for X/S that's holding this up.

I really wish someone would start a google doc to track how many of us are here and the dates we're expecting to see an estimate (although I'm sure we're a small dot compared to the real numbers).

Reactions: TWENT2 and EV_LIFE
In manufacturing, there is a minimum batch size to make, otherwise your fixed and variable costs will be much higher on a per unit basis, therefore making the X/S not so great margin-wise. But like others have mentioned, there has to be a part that's only for X/S that's holding this up.

I really wish someone would start a google doc to track how many of us are here and the dates we're expecting to see an estimate (although I'm sure we're a small dot compared to the real numbers).

• Helpful
Reactions: Stro
Based on parts of Q2 earnings call, there may be an outside chance that the 4680 ends up in the X. There is a chance that delays coincide with the comfort in 4680. Or at least this is one positive spin on this. MX is a good low volume Tesla to introduce this in. Regardless, the reality that MX 2021 is not happening is more real than ever before.

• Helpful
Reactions: TallBill and TWENT2
Awesome!!! Thanks for the link. I've filled it in and hopefully others do too.

Based on parts of Q2 earnings call, there may be an outside chance that the 4680 ends up in the X. There is a chance that delays coincide with the comfort in 4680. Or at least this is one positive spin on this. MX is a good low volume Tesla to introduce this in. Regardless, the reality that MX 2021 is not happening is more real than ever before.
I think there is a higher chance of winning the lotto than seeing 4680 batteries end up in our Xs. But boy do I hope I'm wrong.

Its all BS, a shortage means there is less available of an item, not ZERO. There have been NO model X made this year. A shortage of parts would mean there would be less of an item not NONE! Little communication and perception that we have to take it. I for one will take it, although not without complaint.
A shortage means you have to be prudent with your existing supply. If you have 100 dollars, you may prioritize one expense over others. You may go without Starbucks for a couple of years to focus your limited supply of money on rent and bread (I may have let the analogy unravel a bit).
Trust me,I want them to produce Xs, but it seems that they are prioritizing their high volume cars

You sure about that? First run production is NOT high margin.

If they can ramp up production,it will realize this potential margins, but they're not there yet.

I really don't know where people are getting this idea, but it has been repeated a few times. The 4680 is not in production. They are making small batches. It's unlikely to be mass produced until well into next year and even possibly not then. The 4680 isn't going to show up in any customer-delivered Tesla vehicles anytime soon.

Interestingly the SA at my local sales/service office said the refreshed Model X will be manufactured in TX and will use 4680 batteries. No proof, just rumors.
Yet more anecdotal evidence that SAs know even less than the general public.

I question the batteries as that is a big undertaking.
One thing that really piqued my interest from the AI day announcement was the mention of the Cybertruck, or more specifically the possibility of the truck shipping with HW 4.0 and FSD 2.0.
If you have ever looked around epc.tesla.com it is incredible how many parts can be shared across various Tesla models. Excellent manufacturing. Is it such a farfetched idea to assume the MCU in the Cybertruck is along the same progression line as the S and X? Maybe. They already share the same yolk.

What I am getting at though is if they truly keep pushing the delivery date back maybe Tesla has some undisclosed motivation that they don't want to announce until it can be confirmed. Personally, I don't buy the chip shortage argument. We have all seen the Fremont Flyover videos, they are making cars faster than they can ship them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDT
I question the batteries as that is a big undertaking.
One thing that really piqued my interest from the AI day announcement was the mention of the Cybertruck, or more specifically the possibility of the truck shipping with HW 4.0 and FSD 2.0.
If you have ever looked around epc.tesla.com it is incredible how many parts can be shared across various Tesla models. Excellent manufacturing. Is it such a farfetched idea to assume the MCU in the Cybertruck is along the same progression line as the S and X? Maybe.

What I am getting at though is if they truly keep pushing the delivery date back maybe Tesla has some undisclosed motivation that they don't want to announce until it can be confirmed. Personally, I don't buy the chip shortage argument. We have all seen the Fremont Flyover videos, they are making cars faster than they can ship them.
What I gathered from the HW4 comment was that not all Cybertrucks will have HW4 (to start with). What I mean by that is that the first half of the year, assuming they commence production at the beginning of the year or late this year, the Cybertruck will have whatever is current (HW3). Sometime towards the end of the year, Cybertruck will be the first to have HW4. I could be wrong, but that's how my mind interpreted it.

You do realize that Tesla has delivered Record numbers this year right? They have chips...it just makes better business sense to put them in MYs and M3s which are selling at significantly higher volumes.
Choices... Just not the outcome we (in this thread) would want.
Its all BS, a shortage means there is less available of an item, not ZERO. There have been NO model X made this year. A shortage of parts would mean there would be less of an item not NONE! Little communication and perception that we have to take it. I for one will take it, although not without complaint.
We all wanted them to update the Model X. They are stil
Articles like this still suggest there's "stuff" going on at Tesla about the MX. just saying because i just feel folks are too gloom n doom here.

Tesla updates Model X with new darker wheels

• Helpful
Reactions: studioloft