Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it's a good thing that Tesla only does major refreshes every decade or so.

I "chatted" with a guy on Facebook who has a delivery forthcoming in October - reservation back in December 2020. Hope this turns out to be true.
That is a weird EDD for someone that ordered in December 2020. It should have been August unless he/she is outside of the US. Either way, October ain't happening as much as I wish that was true.

He said he just heard from his SA on it, so, who knows. Everyone is just speculating about dates and some people might be prioritized.
SA's don't know anything. and that month given in the EDD means nothing but your place in line in relation to other people. Until the production line starts up and people start getting VIN numbers and more precise dates like with Month and day in it, we don't know anything concrete.

Reactions: focher
That's really messed up and the kind of BS that Tesla always pulls. I'm sure so many people sprung for the 22" wheels just because they wanted dark color wheels, and now Tesla turns around and makes the standard ones dark.... You would think in light of that they would let people downgrade. Tesla is so lucky that their cars, charging network, and tech is so awesome and so far ahead of the competition right now.
Relax. You still have a larger wheel, and a color you wished for. Btw, I think many people do know power coating a wheel is pretty inexpensive.

Right but if there were competition than I think that those millions would be buying elsewhere. When others gain equivelancy or even supremacy in certain areas (comfort, fit, finish, etc) this lack of customer service/support will quickly be their downfall in the automotive market.
Depending how deep into 2022 the delay extends, we might be jumping ship for the EQS SUV. It will unquestionably be a masterful competitor.

According to sawyer Merritt a bunch of plaid model S’ are available on Tesla.com for immediate delivery. That’s so odd, I thought they were having trouble filling orders and all of a sudden there are 48 across the US available. I could understand a few here and there with people rejecting or cancelling delivery, but not this many.

I've been hearing the "competition in 5 years" for 9 years now. Personally, I'll wait for a Tesla. Others are free not to, but every time I read someone stating they're going to just buy a Mach-E, Lightning, Lyriq, or whatever I just smile because between delivery lag times and dealer markups all of those options are almost as elusive as a new Model X.
I also watched Sandy Munro test the Ford Blue Cruise self driving. It's not even where Tesla was in 2017 when I got my MX. They ask you to put your hands on the wheel essentially into any turn. I have seen Autopilot masterfully handle grade 6% hills at 80 mph steep turns, braking, switch lanes. Tesla is light years ahead and accelerating ahead of everyone else.

Relax. You still have a larger wheel, and a color you wished for. Btw, I think many people do know power coating a wheel is pretty inexpensive.

Exactly. In fact, we still have our winter tire set from our previous X. We got the 22 inch Onyx rims the first time around, but I had my 20s on my M3P powder-coated so was going to do the same on the new X with standard rims. Now I’ve saved money! Thanks, Elon! I knew this was all for my benefit. The fact that I’m driving my neighbor’s daughter’s 20 year old Outback to get my kids to soccer practice isn’t a bad thing. It’s character building. I’ve gained a new appreciation for things like functioning AC, Bluetooth integration, and physical keys. Besides, FWDs are cool. They’re an engineering folly! Wow. Why do I even need an X? I’m off to cancel my order.

You can't just throw that out there without giving at least one reason...
How about because it's a different vendor with a vehicle that has some unique differences, their first vehicle is on the cusp of production, they have a growth plan and most importantly they've got a fairly long list of interested customers already waiting for delivery that should take them well into 2022 if not 2023.

Oh, and I forgot - they've avoided false claims and have had a decent presentation of their vehicles unlike Faraday Future and Nikola.

Within a few years, every car will be an EV, but not everyone will be driving a Tesla. Some startups like Lucid or Rivian will succeed. most will fail. But it’s hard to imagine an indefinite future without excellent ev competion from Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, GM etc. I don’t think real choice is too far away.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Within a few years, every car will be an EV, but not everyone will be driving a Tesla. Some startups like Lucid or Rivian will succeed. most will fail. But it’s hard to imagine an indefinite future without excellent ev competion from Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, GM etc. I don’t think real choice is too far away.
Depends on your definition of 'a few years'. Most timetables have them around 2030-2035 before being close to 100%... if then! ICE cars aren't disappearing anytime soon.

Depends on your definition of 'a few years'. Most timetables have them around 2030-2035 before being close to 100%... if then! ICE cars aren't disappearing anytime soon.
People are forgetting how hard it is to scale up, how much it costs and the problems of optimizing a new manufacturing operation to deliver cars at a cost that wont' bankrupt the company. Rivian, Lucid have a trial by fire ahead. The legacy ICE makers imo are just biding time till they meet their end. They will create some useful technology and some innovations that others will benefit from. No horse and buggy companies survived long term. A few tried to make it as car makers, none succeeded.

I believe I speak (type) for most folks holding orders is the lack of any communication. We find out information from others, twitter, here, FB and periodically checking our accounts. Not one single email from Tesla with any official information. How about "we regret, that xxx month deliveries will not occur. Our best estimate at this time is....... etc. " Few really care which part number is holding up things. Or Elon chose to prioritize S capacity vs X? Just tell us something from HQ that allows us to make life decisions over the coming months. Not much to ask.

And what about those that wanted Silver 20" wheels? No formal notices on that, even to those that ordered it.

BTW, I am also an owner for over 3 years and am so disappointed at the lack of customer care or concern, even when my current vehicle had repairs.
👍 agreed

Reactions: electricbeast
BMW has a revenue stream to divert, for instance, because they make approximately one gigaton of dollars per year on the South Carolina plant alone. They can afford to donate blood to the EV effort without betting the company on it. Which is how you build a sustainable new product line. The onyl reason Tesla was able to do it was because we had a regulatory structure designed to foster innovation in this space. That's fine for lighting a fire but you can't keep a fire going with tinder.

Now Tesla is struggling to get as big as even the smallest indy manufacturers like Mazda and Subaru while simultaneously launching new product and continuing to innovate. Because that's hard as hell, they are not going as fast as they've promised. If you pay even a little bit of attention to the industry, that's not surprising. It's possible to squander a seemingly insurmountable lead (cf GM). It's possible for shareholders to demand you cash out (cf the entire french and italian auto industries). All of this is on the table in the next 10 years for Tesla, as possible realities in addition to success and gaining an even larger lead.

Tesla doesn't have government motors backing. VW, Toyota, GM/Ford, et al. do. That's not to be ignored. I think Tesla will survive but I think its share of the pie is about to shrink a LOT.

Meanwhile, I just want a 40/20/40 second row in my X.