Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's funny that, if you look at the drone videos from this new guy, I don't think he knows how he's about to blow up in the Tesla world. I looked at his account and he has videos of church services or something and other videos, all with around 10 or so views a piece. Then, his flyover videos are quickly gaining traction with the latest one having over 2k views LOL. Welcome to fold buddy!! 😂

Hello all!
Long time lurker, first post. Ordered my MX Plaid early Feb 2021. EDD has changed a lot and like many others went from October to blank about 3 weeks ago. Just signed in today and it shows this!
FEA2F4CB-EE28-4279-A02C-5280B63ECA46.jpeg

👌🏻 The decanter is still available here online in Belgiu

👌🏻 The decanter is still available here online in Belgium.
Here's the company that fills that bottle. Awesome tequila ☺️

Reactions: lsds
Zero chance of that. 4680s will require a full redesign of the chassis and battery pack. the 4680s will go into the Y/3 and CT. Will have to wait for the next refresh of the S/X for 4680s. It will be many years away.

It is all about your expectations. Have you used Autopilot? If not, go test drive a 3/Y and try it out. If you find it valuable, then go for it. But I can promise that you ACTUAL FSD (ie you can leave your house and reach your destination without touching the steering wheel) is at least 10 years away. Autopilot will remain an L2 Driver Assistance package for the foreseeable future. Again, if you like what Autopilot does today, then by all means purchase FSD. But if you are expecting to actually get FSD with your purchase you will be disappointed.

Also, does the ski resort have L2 charging? It will be very difficult if not impossible to do a 300-mile round trip in an X in the Winter.
Nobody goes on a road trip expecting to not have to refill at some point…. So to be clear, you can go practically anywhere in the Continental US with Supercharging.

Reactions: Elixir
Hello all!
Long time lurker, first post. Ordered my MX Plaid early Feb 2021. EDD has changed a lot and like many others went from October to blank about 3 weeks ago. Just signed in today and it shows this!
View attachment 716696
You gained a month?! Interesting. That would put December EDD like me possibly in November. I think someone else mentioned possible November the start of deliveries as a rumor. This would jive with that.

My only hesitation is about the full self-driving. Did you guys order it? Do you think it is worth it? Under what kind of circumstance you will use full self-driving?
There are many threads about FSD in the S and X forums, where it has been discussed extensively. This thread is about the new X that has yet to be delivered.

But I can promise that you ACTUAL FSD (ie you can leave your house and reach your destination without touching the steering wheel) is at least 10 years away.

For what it's worth, this is the part I disagree with. I don't think it's coming tomorrow, but when I compare now to where we were 10 years ago, I think 10 years from now we'll be way past driving me to my destination unless there's something spectacularly unusual about the trip. :)

I might agree that there will still be a steering wheel in the car "just in case", but I'm wouldn't even state that with as much confidence as you did.

Not that any of that matters until they start deliveries... :)

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
4680s will require a full redesign of the chassis and battery pack. the 4680s will go into the Y/3 and CT. Will have to wait for the next refresh of the S/X for 4680s. It will be many years away.

I disagree. The redesign of the refresh chassis took into account the new battery packs, but since they weren't ready with it, they kept with the current design for the battery packs. The Plaid+ was supposed to come out with the 4680s along with the huge range. I doubt it will be as long as you're suggesting until the S/X will get the 4680s. If anything it's probably out in the S/X in the next year or 2 depending upon how successful the battery ramp up is, but no, it's highly doubtful it'll be there with the launch of the X.

Question: With the MX and MS both being assembled on the same production line, how difficult is it to switch between the two models? The MX is built on the MS frame, but it has the FWD and other differences. Is switching between the two no more difficult than toggling the software driving robots from S to X, or is it more complicated? (i.e. moving out a cadre of robots that build the S and replacing them with robots attuned to the X and then vice versa). I don't have a clue how complex that is, assembly lines aren't my thing.
Tesla has built the S and X on the same line since X production began in 2015. The company figured out how to do it a long time ago.

If you have questions about that I would suggest starting a new thread in the X forum.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
For what it's worth, this is the part I disagree with. I don't think it's coming tomorrow, but when I compare now to where we were 10 years ago, I think 10 years from now we'll be way past driving me to my destination unless there's something spectacularly unusual about the trip. :)

I might agree that there will still be a steering wheel in the car "just in case", but I'm wouldn't even state that with as much confidence as you did.

Not that any of that matters until they start deliveries... :)
I am afraid that you don't fully understand how innovation and development works. It is not linear (which is what you are implying by extrapolating the pace of the last few years into the future). The first 80% or so is quite easy. Then the closer you get to 100% the harder it is. The pace of development has been slowing recently. It certainly doesn't help that they keep switching hardware suites. Elon himself said that "FSD is hard" back in July. I stand by my timeline.

I also believe that Tesla will not be able to implement actual FSD with current hardware and that current cars will not be upgradable. I believe they will need more cameras or cameras in different positions, additional/different sensors, etc. In that case, Tesla will deliver the best that they can with the current hardware, call that FSD, and recognize the revenue.

But the good news is that even if I am wrong and FSD is delivered in say, 5 years, you can always just do the subscription until you are ready to upgrade. In that case you would have to keep your car for over 9 years to break even on the subscription over pre-purchase.

Finally, let me be clear (and I stated this in my post). If you like FSD as it is today as an L2 Driver Assistance Suite, by all means purchase it. But if you are buying it because you expect your car to drive you from home to destination without touching the steering wheel, you are wasting your money.