Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post #3733 said their sister ordered in June and got the call:

"New data point. I ordered a LR white on white, 5 seater in early June (Massachusetts). No one has reached out yet. My sister (Bay area), ordered the same configuration a week after I did and got the call to have it converted to a 6 seater for EOY delivery. She declined."
That makes sense. No delivery delay for EOQ rush in Bay Area, if mass production starts later in the Q4

I had one situation when a car was pulling out of a driveway in front me me and I had to quickly swerve. It felt awkward and I felt like I almost couldn't make the car do what I wanted to do as quickly as I needed. The other factor is the stalkless situation. Another odd way to reinvent what works in every other car on the planet. I actually did not mind it as much as I thought I would, but honking quickly is awkward. I imagine doing a multi-point turn will also be awkward.
If only you read the manual...the horn also sounds when you cover all buttons on the right side of the steering yoke with your hand. I think it's intuitive enough for emergency situation.

Reactions: DIL
I agree with the above comments about Elon's thought process (it looks cool). In addition to thinking it looks cool, I think he has prioritized seeing the cluster over having a full wheel because seeing the cluster is important for FSD. Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. I have never bought into the concept of a computer driving better than an alert and educated human, and I think FSD has been prioritized over basic safety. I also think he will one day say: "Well, we got rid of half the steering wheel, and people did great. Now it's time to get rid of the rest of the wheel..."
Excellent point. I forgot about the FSD angle. Elon believes that all primary driver controls will imminently be superfluous. I am very confident we are at least 10 years out from actual FSD so we need our primary controls for the near future.

Reactions: jbrowdy
I think many of these comments on the yoke are spot on (as he turns to avoid being slapped by Bruce for veering off topic...). I had a MS Plaid for about two weeks. Like the comments above suggest, you will get used to it, but it shouldn't be necessary to "get used" to perhaps the most important aspect of a vehicle, especially when the current method of steering a vehicle works perfectly.

After a bit of time, I did think the yoke was kinda cool in that I had the feeling of openness in front of me. That said, like others commented above, I never felt that my view was obstructed with my old wheel. But, if I had to choose between a small obstruction of the screen in front of me, and never having to think about how to turn my wheel in an emergency situation, I'd go with the latter every time.

I had one situation when a car was pulling out of a driveway in front me me and I had to quickly swerve. It felt awkward and I felt like I almost couldn't make the car do what I wanted to do as quickly as I needed. The other factor is the stalkless situation. Another odd way to reinvent what works in every other car on the planet. I actually did not mind it as much as I thought I would, but honking quickly is awkward. I imagine doing a multi-point turn will also be awkward.

I agree with the above comments about Elon's thought process (it looks cool). In addition to thinking it looks cool, I think he has prioritized seeing the cluster over having a full wheel because seeing the cluster is important for FSD. Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. I have never bought into the concept of a computer driving better than an alert and educated human, and I think FSD has been prioritized over basic safety. I also think he will one day say: "Well, we got rid of half the steering wheel, and people did great. Now it's time to get rid of the rest of the wheel..."

All that said, like many others, I tend to put up with what I don't like because what I do like is so good. I sold my MX in January in anticipation of the refresh. Regret it every day. Nothing beats the power, performance and spaciousness of a MX. Right before I bought my 2018 MX, I had a Jeep Trackhawk for about six weeks. The car sounded like a nuclear explosion every time you hit the gas and it was hard to see over the hood's air intake. The MX can beet the crap out of a Trackhawk performance-wise, and it's incredibly smooth and nimble for a car its size. For those of you who are new to the MX, you feel like you are sitting in the cockpit of a helicopter with the huge glass window.

Bottom line: I will tolerate the yoke and stalkless driving. I may even kinda appreciate the view. But, I'd do a round wheel if offered any day.
"alert and educated human"

This is EXACTLY what Elon and Tesla are trying to eliminate the need for altogether. The computer will always be alert and educated once full FSD can be realized.

This may be an unpopular opinion...
As it relates to the disagreements on the X refresh, you quite literally get exactly what you pay for.
It is like if someone bought a red car but hates red cars.. well then why did you buy a red car?
Because the red, following your analogy, is just so much better than the other options in every other way. You'll just have to deal with a rotten color... (red is not rotten, btw, the yoke is). The yoke/no stalks is a horrible decision as an only option, yet some of us just have to suck it up because we really want the rest of the car.

Personally my biggest issue is with the turn signal buttons. As a European it is obvious this was not made for our roads with a gazillion roundabouts and being legally required to signal in/out of them. (and at this point someone will comment and say it is easy - it is f-ing not!)

I may be the only guy here who bought the 6 seater because I think it'll make a good Robotaxi. I'll be driving a CT when those show up and hope to put the MX to work in the small mountain town where I live. Also, how cool will it be to have FSD pick you up somewhere and just jump in the back with the FWDs? These cars have a good chance of holding their value very well.

Ordered early December last year, 7 seater LR.... Still no call
Not sure how all of the folks who ordered mid-2021 are getting calls before those that ordered earlier, especially if the order was in 2020!! That makes no sense and I'm sure more than a couple of people will be highly irritated that there's no rhyme or reason to who is being called and who isn't!