Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also do not understand their policy to not allow you to change your color and or configuration long before delivery. This is the most customer unfriendly and stupid policy I have ever heard of.
tbh, that‘s really a small compromise for locking your price and get the car $10000 cheaper with a mere $100 deposit. And unless you order right on the day before the price increase, you should have enough time to make changes as many times as you needed.

Reactions: ammulder
Crazy. This exact scenario is what led me to sell my model X back in January. They were not fix my MCU. I decided I would buy a new model X. I bought when they were insanely expensive (more than current vehicles), so my logic was that if I sold my model X and got into a new one, I would pay less and get a new vehicle with an upgraded MCU. Around that time I caught wind of the “refresh“ and thought that would be icing on the cake. Sold my car in January and the rest is history…

Regret every minute of it. Took tons of documentation in that the hardware was failing and they wouldn’t budge. They wanted me to pay for the new upgrade.
My winning ticket in court was 5 service visits addressing safety concerns with the MCU and their failure to address each time. I argued they willingly returned a death trap to me. Tesla didn't even respond to my case. I asked for $4,500 and it was granted. (cost of the MCU2 upgrade, my time over 5 service visits, milage to these visits, filing fees). The other key here was that this was before the MCU1 EMMC recall. Small claims court is really easy - you should give it a shot.
(shortly after the MCU2 upgrade I was rear ended by a semi and the car was totaled :( MCU2 recorded it though!)

Not to stray off topic... As it relates to the X refresh Tesla yet again proves that in both service and delivery their customer service is extremally poor. Musk and Bezos are constantly comparing themselves to each other on social media. Tesla could take a serious lesson from Amazon's playbook on customer service. Ever have an issue with an Amazon order? Sometimes they give you a $5 giftcard when a delivery is late. IMAGINE THAT 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ lol. Their EDDs are accurate too haha.

The real problem here... they have a far superior product than any other car on the market so they can afford to have terrible customer service and still maintain a 1-year backlog @ maximum production.

Last edited:
Dumb and dumber. I was born in 1984 and still get the reference. Ha. Love it

To all the comments on changing order specs, unfortunately (fortunately if your long TSLA like me) Tesla is in position of unprecedented demand and essentially can do what they want. Does that make it right? No, but you gotta play ball unless you wanna deal with different kinds of BS from other OEM. When Apple ditched the 7 mm jack did people run to another device? Or when the IPhone is on back order every single year? I always compare Tesla to Apple because I see the same momentum and change as when I looked at the first IPhone way back when. These mega cap tech companies are best in class and as long as they deliver a superior product we are all at their whim. And I don’t mind that.

Last edited:
So I just figured out how to get someone on the phone at Tesla cooperate that can check the back end of your order and tell you if you have a vin assignment ETA/Buld order in planning. So call 888-518-3752 and press 1 then 2 then wait for it to ask you the reason you are calling and say "New Delivery" after that it will ask you for a zip code, use Fremont factor zip which is 94538 then you will be connected to someone.

If no one answers try calling back later, sometimes the line can be busy.

Sorry about the calling confusion yesterday, finally narrowed down how to get someone on the line :)

Last edited:
I just noticed the new Model X’s don’t have that front plate mount like the refreshed Model S does
I believe a plastic plate holder will be given. You could stick it to front bumper yourself. just like model 3/y
It depends on your location. @JER85 I see you are from NJ. I am in CT. For our states front plates are legally required so when we pick up they will likely give the front plate to us or offer it. Front plates are not required in all states. (personally I am a fan of the look without front plates)
When I got my last X I bought it used and picked it up in Georgia. They offered me a front plate holder at the time of delivery as they knew I was driving North. The only thing I was not totally thrilled about... they literally just drilled it right into the front bumper. When I later removed it to clean the front bumper the screw holes were totally random and uneven :(

• Disagree
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Distinct differences for comparison:
View attachment 722543View attachment 722544
I wonder how easily those little plastic pieces will fall off when hitting a pothole or a curb.. Also wondering if Tesla will allow replacement of just one.
Is there a point of
Lol mine tells me I’m obsessed. Btw, I find your name a bit perplexing on a Tesla forum🤔
It’s the car I drive now. I can’t call myself Tesla if I don’t have one yet....☹️

So I just figured out how to get someone on the phone at Tesla cooperate that can check the back end of your order and tell you if you have a vin assignment ETA/Buld order in planning. So call 888-518-3752 and press 1 then 2 then wait for it to ask you the reason you are calling and say "New Delivery" after that it will ask you for a zip code, use Fremont factor zip which is 94538 then you will be connected to someone.

If no one answers try calling back later, sometimes the line can be busy.

Sorry about the calling confusion yesterday, finally narrowed down how to get someone on the line :)
Will try calling again tomorrow to see what it says. Especially since today my order went from blank to January to February. So confusing.
1634530541439.png

Reactions: lauraut