Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Annnnd the Model S low voltage battery requires service. 2nd time this year. Yet I am keeping my Model X reservation for reasons that are a mystery even to me.

I bought this for my 3. Pretty easy to install on your own

Long time lurker, first time poster. The conversation about lack of communication reminds me of when I used to work for Patagonia. You might know they have an ironclad guarantee for their products. The strap breaks on your bag and they will fix it or replace the item for free. Employees were told that it’s much more expensive to get a new customer than to keep an existing customer, so giving someone a new bag is a very small cost compared to losing that customer.
I’m not making the analogy that Tesla should give anyone anything, but does this idea of it being less expensive to keep an existing customer apply here? Or does it not apply with car companies, to companies with billions of dollars, with companies with huge wait lists, or to supply chain issue times? I’ve just been wondering why Tesla seems to not care about communication with customers.
Patagonia is right. But Patagonia has competitors. Tesla (for the moment) does not. If you want a mature, long range EV, you have to buy a Tesla. So far there are enough people that want such a product that they are willing to put up with Tesla's dreadful customer service and QA. Hence, here we are. That being said, in a few years the other car companies will have competitive products and the non-Tesla charging infrastructure will have caught up. At that point Tesla will have to fix these issues or people will vote with their wallets. Until then, Tesla doesn't care.

Reactions: gglockner
Why should we buy the FSD with the car?
We can buy it for the same price after delivery, right?
We can do the subscription instead too, right?
I really wish you could transfer FSD tesla to new tesla.
I regret paying for it on my LR+ 2020 knowing that I'd have to pay $10k to have it again on my eventual delivery of the refreshed X.
I'm going to stick to subscription for longer road trips... considering even if I own the car 2 years I'll still spend way less subscription than $10k upfront.

I really wish you could transfer FSD tesla to new tesla.
I regret paying for it on my LR+ 2020 knowing that I'd have to pay $10k to have it again on my eventual delivery of the refreshed X.
I'm going to stick to subscription for longer road trips... considering even if I own the car 2 years I'll still spend way less subscription than $10k upfront.
During the earnings call the question was asked regarding this. The answer was that they "currently kinda do that by giving you a much bigger amount for your trade-in if you have FSD." I laughed when I heard that as it's complete BS.

Reactions: studioloft and jace
From a financial perspective, why would you put 50% down if you could get a 2.5% loan with something like 10% down? Is there some kind of tax reason?

At least historically, it would make the most sense to keep those funds invested in the market with our current low auto loan rates.

Normally I would agree with you. But I have some things that I am working on in the near future that will include personal business loans, where I will need to keep my debt to available credit ratio relatively low.

During the earnings call the question was asked regarding this. The answer was that they "currently kinda do that by giving you a much bigger amount for your trade-in if you have FSD." I laughed when I heard that as it's complete BS.
Super complete BS.

Given deliveries have started now I'm considering selling my 2020 LR+ Red/White FSD 6 seater to get out of it now while the resale pricing is unreal. Maybe Turo an ID.4 or something for a few months. I ordered similar config so should be late Q4/Q1 delivery. Maybe get my FSD money back :)

Reactions: croman
Do you have cabin overheat on? My service advisor said that is what is killing the batteries in warm climates. I still leave mine on though :)
No, I live in the Pacific Northwest. We have the opposite problem - 9 months of cold rain.

That said, after ignoring my complaint in the initial quote, the service advisor said that it would be replaced gratis so long as there was no evidence of misuse. That's fine with me.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

I bought this for my 3. Pretty easy to install on your own
I bought the model S that Sean was doing his prototype testing in. Still has that prototype battery in it, I've never seen it. It's worked flawlessly for over 4 years and over 200,000 miles.

Anyone know if he still works for the company? He sold it to them in order to get funding to start production of the batteries.

Hold on... Is this video (posted October 2021) of a "2021" Tesla Model X?
Does that mean that our RefreshX is the same model year? That seems a little funky right?
I'm not sure. There were a few 2021 pre refresh MXs built in December, but they are rare. A lot of times you see people attaching model years to Teslas, and most of the time they are inaccurate. The Plaid MS is NOT a 2022, but YTers call it that anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: TWENT2
How weird is it that these cars are being stages for delivery yet no one seems to have a VIN?
In reference to the Xs stacking up on the freemont test track infield... I'm not sure that those are being staged for delivery. The Logistics lot (where the trucks load up cars) is where they stage cars for delivery. Remember when they launched the S? They had hundreds of Refresh Ss lining the grass. That wasn't because they were staging for delivery... it was because they were missing a critical part or firmware update for a new chip. I imagine that's what's going on with the Xs as well. Build 99.9% of the cars and then hold for a firmware update prior to delivery.

I'm not sure. There were a few 2021 pre refresh MXs built in December, but they are rare. A lot of times you see people attaching model years to Teslas, and most of the time they are inaccurate. The Plaid MS is NOT a 2022, but YTers call it that anyway.
Thank you, that makes sense. This dude referenced it several times in his video and I was like. Wait Whaaaaaaa?

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid