Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is another dilemma facing those of us living in Canada or the northern U.S.: there is no indication that winter tires are yet available for the refreshed MX. So even if we do take delivery before the end of the year, which is now appearing extremely unlikely, it will not be safe to drive it in snow or ice. So we Canadians will likely face a double whammy (1) out almost 10k because of the luxury tax which kicks in Jan 1, and (2) not being able to drive the car in snow/ice conditions. I am considering renting a car with winter tires to get me through the winter
Is it that bad in Canada? Yes, winter tires are better, but I've driven many cars with all-season tires in the New York area without problems.

It seems to be the same resolution from just looking at it, unless someone knows if they upgraded the cameras. I've never used the web browser in my 3 (I just use my phone), but the X seems to be okay. Slight bit of lag but could be my wifi connection into the garage.

Yep! I haven't tried it with a large soda but it seems to be at a good height for canned drinks:View attachment 733749View attachment 733750
Damn that makes me nervous even with those cans closed. We need the all weather mats in there stat.

Here is another dilemma facing those of us living in Canada or the northern U.S.: there is no indication that winter tires are yet available for the refreshed MX. So even if we do take delivery before the end of the year, which is now appearing extremely unlikely, it will not be safe to drive it in snow or ice. So we Canadians will likely face a double whammy (1) out almost 10k because of the luxury tax which kicks in Jan 1, and (2) not being able to drive the car in snow/ice conditions. I am considering renting a car with winter tires to get me through the winter
Aren't any 265/45R20(front) / 275/45R20(rear) winter tires okay (for 20' wheel)? Seems like there is a large selection. Unless you want to buy an OEM wheel/tire package...

Question: what will the adaptive headlight bill do for cars in the US and how quickly do you think it'll be before you actually see cars with the changes? Will Tesla actually have these?
It depends on how quickly the transportation secretary acts...they have two years.

Under section 24212 of the bill, which is appropriately titled "HEADLAMPS," it's stated that "Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule amending Standard 108"—that's the transportation regulation pertaining to headlight design.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Sound tests on the highway, same stretch, 70 mph, all tires properly inflated, same app and phone (pixel 4a with Sound Meter app in Google play pass)
2020 Jeep Compass: 72 db average (both times, last time and today)
2021 Model X: 71 db average (The X has a db average of 55 at a stand still with 5 on the fan and recirc on for comparison)
2018 Model 3: 73 db average
This is not too bad, a 3 dB drop is half the sound energy, see attached. Also, at zero movement the car registers 55 db...

Here is also a link from car&driver discussing quiet cars from 2020:

Screenshot_20211116-172936_Chrome.jpg

There's nothing special about the winter tire set that Tesla offers. You could easily take the same specs to any tire place and get winter tires. Or get exactly what you want, just in the correct sized rims and tires.