Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are forgetting that Elon in his own words indicated the car would be built and release in March (or April). This compelled a lot of people to sell their cars, apply for financing, extend leases, drive golf carts to work, etc. There is real world cost with all this, not to mention logistical headaches. I don't think people would be as mad had the timeline expectation not been created by Elon himself. On top of that, the company has left everyone in the dark. Tesla can't help supply chain issues, but they can control communication. We are not asking for trade secrets, but a realistic estimate on delivery is reasonable to expect for some spending over $100k on a vehicle. At a most, they are obfuscating the truth and at a minimum are not attempting to communicate reasonable information. Either way, it has prevented many from pursuing other cars (I imagine many would have gotten in line for a Rivian or F-150 or even an ICE had they known how long this would take), which some consider an unfair business practice.

I also don't subscribe to the: "It's all OK, cause your gonna love it so much in a year, you'll forget about all this pain". In other words, the ends justify the means. That's like saying: "When I stop stepping on your neck, you will feel better and enjoy oxygen so much that you will forget about how wrong I was to step on you like that.

OK. Done for now.
Elon probably wanted to deliver on that day. *sugar* happens and we regroup. No one is gonna spoon feed us. Communication could definitely be better, yes. But stepping on ones neck, and delivering the most advanced and amazingly satisfying car the world has ever seen-- late, are two diff things. You can't compare George Floyd to us non-Vinners lol. Two different feelings of pain and suffering. One guy died on the street with no trial. The others will get an advanced and sparkling starship.

We're in rarified air. It's normal to be impatient so I get it. I am too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Breischaft
I also don't subscribe to the: "It's all OK, cause your gonna love it so much in a year, you'll forget about all this pain". In other words, the ends justify the means. That's like saying: "When I stop stepping on your neck, you will feel better and enjoy oxygen so much that you will forget about how wrong I was to step on you like that.

OK. Done for now.
I must admit, I am one of the chief champions for the " you'll forget about this pain" movement.

Let me provided some context for this concept and clarify a miss-assumption. First of all, the idea that your brain will normalize to your current environment is well documented in neuroscience research over the past several decades. That is the premise... Not because the car is so amazing (which it will be) but simply by virtue of time passing... Right now, all we see is the pain, frustration, and occasional humor of the waiting roo. In a relatively short period of time compared to the entirety of our lives, all we will see will be our MXs. Not that everything will be erased, but rather, our attention will be more acutely focused on the problems of the day rather than the frustrations of yesterday.

Also, this movement is not to say that the ends justify the means. If you read back, every single person that has offered this idea as an emotional support to a fellow waiting room member, has also expressed frustration. We're not saying that the poor communication is OK. ABSOLUTELY NOT! When we say this, we're saying to another one of our (now) friends, "Look on the bright side. We don't know when, but there will be a bright side."

Third... Physical pain and torture (stepping on someone's neck) are hardly the analogy of long wait times, poor customer service, terrible communication, or even greedy corporate tactics. So it's kinda weird to say that they're the same.

To be clear. I want my MX. I want it before the end of the year. I paid am extra $3500 to get it before the end of the year. I'm resigned to the fact that I probably WON'T get it before the end of the year. I'm annoyed with the wait. I'm frustrated by the wait. I'm grateful for this forum because this current environment has made it easier for me to go through this process. And... I know that when I finally have my car, I will thoroughly enjoy it. This is a nuanced concept that isn't defined by the binary of right vs. wrong or good vs. bad.

So to that end.... I hope that you enjoy your MX when you get it... And in the meantime, try not to step on any necks

Elon probably wanted to deliver on that day. *sugar* happens and we regroup. No one is gonna spoon feed us. Communication could definitely be better, yes. But stepping on ones neck, and delivering the most advanced and amazingly satisfying car the world has ever seen-- late, are two diff things. You can't compare George Floyd to us non-Vinners lol. Two different feelings of pain and suffering. One guy died on the street with no trial. The others will get an advanced and sparkling starship.

Yay you get it! And are probably paying cash!!

I must admit, I am one of the chief champions for the " you'll forget about this pain" movement.

Let me provided some context for this concept and clarify a miss-assumption. First of all, the idea that your brain will normalize to your current environment is well documented in neuroscience research over the past several decades. That is the premise... Not because the car is so amazing (which it will be) but simply by virtue of time passing... Right now, all we see is the pain, frustration, and occasional humor of the waiting roo. In a relatively short period of time compared to the entirety of our lives, all we will see will be our MXs. Not that everything will be erased, but rather, our attention will be more acutely focused on the problems of the day rather than the frustrations of yesterday.

Also, this movement is not to say that the ends justify the means. If you read back, every single person that has offered this idea as an emotional support to a fellow waiting room member, has also expressed frustration. We're not saying that the poor communication is OK. ABSOLUTELY NOT! When we say this, we're saying to another one of our (now) friends, "Look on the bright side. We don't know when, but there will be a bright side."

Third... Physical pain and torture (stepping on someone's neck) are hardly the analogy of long wait times, poor customer service, terrible communication, or even greedy corporate tactics. So it's kinda weird to say that they're the same.

To be clear. I want my MX. I want it before the end of the year. I paid am extra $3500 to get it before the end of the year. I'm resigned to the fact that I probably WON'T get it before the end of the year. I'm annoyed with the wait. I'm frustrated by the wait. I'm grateful for this forum because this current environment has made it easier for me to go through this process. And... I know that when I finally have my car, I will thoroughly enjoy it. This is a nuanced concept that isn't defined by the binary of right vs. wrong or good vs. bad.

So to that end.... I hope that you enjoy your MX when you get it... And in the meantime, try not to step on any necks
Love it!! Thanks for your optimism. Not declaring, but there is a super strong possibility the abgry people ate financing and don't have enough saved for retirement.
Thks to the few people who made comments supporting optimism.

Me getting this refresh, is actually a stopgap until they get that 4680 pack in the MX. Then THAT one will be my last car I'll buy, at least as my daily.
Since you mention 4680, saw one of the TMC sister threads on MS Plaid delivery to EU yesterday. There, everyone is convinced(usually linked to SA/Corp-contact) that MS & MX refresh EU deliveries will begin only after the 4680 production commences & final assembly(as earlier with the Tilburg plant) will be in the Berlin plant to avoid taxes(~2022 end or even later). I don’t know what they are smoking or how accurate this is but if true this could be devastating.

Long time lurker and first time poster. Got our first Tesla this year in April (Model Y) and then we decided to get a bigger one for our growing family right after we had it for a week. We also trade in our BMW X1 for a Model 3 because my wife kept using my car and she won’t drive her car anymore.
I understand the frustration from a lot of you here due to the long waiting time and I know 100K is not a small amount, but keep seeing people mentioning ‘spending 100K’ / ‘spend big money’ or whatever makes me start to think are you guys really stretching your budget to buy the Model X and that’s the reason why you keep saying that you spend this much money?
I don’t think people in this range are stretching their money, maybe a few are but I would venture to say not many. People in the model Y and model 3 range may be, but once you get to a 6 figure purchase it’s kind of hard to stretch yourself unless you’re totally careless with money and throw caution to the wind…. I think the point people are trying to make by mentioning the amount is that Tesla treats us horribly despite the fact that we are spending a significant amount of money on their products. If I buy a $1000 iPad from Apple and it’s delayed and they don’t communicate with me I wouldn’t mind so much….. now if I’m spending 100 times that on a product, I expect some communication at the very least… make sense?

Ha. I like you. Sharing hopes and positive information is superb, but people whing, venting and getting angry is not healthy. I rejoined in 11/30/2021 when I got my VIN. Decided to order a Y on 12/1/2021, then lost my X VIN. ..haha.
I was on the forum 11/2012 thru 2/2017. No one was angry. No venting, no whining. Everyone was excited and hoping and dreaming. Fastly different than these angry unnecessary posts. I was hoping to redirect people to focus on the positive.
Thks
You just happened to wonder back at a suboptimal time (pandemic driven anxiety, Musk driven expectations, VIN snatching, etc.).

There is also a ton of love here: @TWENT2 talking me off the ledge. Twice. Me telling everyone how much I’m gonna miss them. @niogyn calling another TMC member “daddy”. @John in LB keeping me in check without hurling insults. @Fulkth giving @John in LB a Happy Birthday wish with a sign in his new MX. I could go on. The point is it’s not all whining here. You just walked into the room while mom and dad were arguing.

Far from a dissertation. In all honesty my thought was possibly some of the angry people don't maybe even have their retirement plans set, financing the car, etc. In life I've learned the angry people are actually the people who really cant afford what they're trying to do. If you look at the page previous the moderator demonished people attacking me and removed 21 posts.
What? Can’t afford? I can afford this vehicle. Yet, I whine. Makes zero sense.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
Long time lurker and first time poster. Got our first Tesla this year in April (Model Y) and then we decided to get a bigger one for our growing family right after we had it for a week. We also trade in our BMW X1 for a Model 3 because my wife kept using my car and she won’t drive her car anymore.
I understand the frustration from a lot of you here due to the long waiting time and I know 100K is not a small amount, but keep seeing people mentioning ‘spending 100K’ / ‘spend big money’ or whatever makes me start to think are you guys really stretching your budget to buy the Model X and that’s the reason why you keep saying that you spend this much money?
We are all fortunate to even be in this waiting room. I can afford this vehicle, yet I am frustrated.

Absolutely did not intend to conjure up a thought of George Floyd. Poor analogy on my part. But, the logic from the analogy still applies.

Reactions: Zygote1975

I totally understand taking umbrage with the analogy. Posted in haste. Terrible analogy.

The weird thing to me is how Apple is so much better at production planning. In the first crush of orders for a new iPhone model, they know your place in line and from the moment you order they know to the day when your phone (trim, color, storage size) will be built and shipped.

Given that Tesla is so good at manufacturing (relative to OEMs, judging by Diess’s comments and etc.) and that they actually state that manufacturing will be their long-term competitive advantage, and given that they have a six month plus backlog and can therefore plan lots of batches in advance, you’d think they could forecast as well, or at least somewhat close. Yet if they could, I’m sure we’d all have more accurate delivery dates.

So it must be the variability in the production ramp of the new model. Somehow, the refresh must be different enough that they are having trouble getting back to the production rates they were at before. Certainly this would be expected for the plaid with the new three-motor layout and so on, but it must be true for the LR as well. There’s definitely historical precedent for the X being trouble to manufacture, based on the original X ramp.

It could even make sense to see the recent surplus of S if they are having trouble ramping X and say just make S for a while and buy us a week to figure out what’s going wrong here, then we’ll try X again and see if we‘ve figured out how to get it going faster. It would also make sense to limit it to one trim and one seating layout if they just need to get that one config down cold before introducing more variation into the production line.

I just wish they’d share any tidbit at all on what the ramping problem might be. :)

P.S.:

I love Tesla, but their customer service is worse than Comcast and that says a lot.

The last time I left a Comcast customer service facility, there was a sign at the exit of the employee parking lot reading “You are about to experience the most dangerous part of your day: the public roads.” Well for one, Tesla is fixing that. And two, the message was a bit hard to believe, given that the customer service reps in the building sat behind two inches of bulletproof glass. That was sobering. :)

@DelPhonic1 and @TWENT2 are both correct for calling me out on the poor analogy. I feel terrible about it. I absolutely did not make the connection when I was posting. To be honest, my goal was to use an analogy, and at first, I wrote "stepping on my nuts" and changed it cause I didn't want to be offensive. Looks like both were bad choices!

Anyway, my apologies.