Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its been 10 days since I have accepted my delivery and there is not a single day I wonder how would any car in near future would be able to compete with Tech of model X. To name a few: Yoke steering, limited external buttons/vents, Falcon doors, super responsive display, immersive audio. Just a different League.

IMG_4246.jpeg
IMG_4275.jpeg
IMG_4282.jpeg

Do you recommend getting Tesla's extended warranty at purchase for long-term buyers?
Yes... I missed buying it - I have been out of warranty for about 1 year and have had one $500 repair...

I could buy the extended warranty just before my warranty was expiring in February (so, within 4 years, 48,000 miles)... I did not consider it until I had 53,000 miles... at that time it was just too late.

I am not sure if it is better to buy at the time of car purchase or to re-evaluate at the end of warranty... it also depends on your personal finances and what "hits" you can afford...

Its been 10 days since I have accepted my delivery and there is not a single day I wonder how would any car in near future would be able to compete with Tech of model X. To name a few: Yoke steering, limited external buttons/vents, Falcon doors, super responsive display, immersive audio. Just a different League.

View attachment 746289View attachment 746290View attachment 746291
Like Santa mode with reindeer, Tesla needs to give us the option of showing non Tesla cars as Dinosaurs.

It would be awesome and very apropos.

I just got an interesting call from my SA, who confirmed that I wouldn’t be getting a VIN or taking delivery until at least Q1 (I’m a 1/29/21 original 6-seater order). But she said that since I was concerned about the Canadian luxury tax which was supposed to kick in January 1, I could switch my MX order to a Model S Plaid and take delivery before the end of the year. (In fact the new law hasn’t been passed yet so we may have a couple of months leeway on that tax.) I didn’t pursue that at all, so I have no idea what the pricing would have been for the Model S Plaid. The other thing she said was that the reason my trade-in request disappeared was that there was no point in them giving a quote for a trade-in until a VIN is confirmed, since the used car market is so volatile, but that I should call her asap when there’s a VIN and she’ll re-instate the trade-in and get a quote.

I just got an interesting call from my SA, who confirmed that I wouldn’t be getting a VIN or taking delivery until at least Q1 (I’m a 1/29/21 original 6-seater order). But she said that since I was concerned about the Canadian luxury tax which was supposed to kick in January 1, I could switch my MX order to a Model S Plaid and take delivery before the end of the year. (In fact the new law hasn’t been passed yet so we may have a couple of months leeway on that tax.) I didn’t pursue that at all, so I have no idea what the pricing would have been for the Model S Plaid. The other thing she said was that the reason my trade-in request disappeared was that there was no point in them giving a quote for a trade-in until a VIN is confirmed, since the used car market is so volatile, but that I should call her asap when there’s a VIN and she’ll re-instate the trade-in and get a quote.
Wow, they will stop at nothing to unload more Model S Plaids.

This is why I feel like I’ll get my X Plaid almost immediately after they start shipping them. 2 months later, we will see dozens of them on the existing inventory page while orders from over a year ago will still be waiting for their LR 5-seater.

I agree with the feedback others gave. You will figure out how/when to open the doors based on the scenario. They are cool, but can be annoying to wait for. My kids all drive now, but when I had my P100D, I picked one of them up in the school line. They did not like the attention and flashiness the doors commanded. On upside, if I was in a driveway, picking up my mother-in-law, with the doors fully open, it felt like you could literally walk right into the car without breaking stride. It's really cool.

I often commented to my wife that I wished they'd get rid of the FWD's. That said, I actually think I prefer them. It just makes and X an X, if that makes any sense.

"Without breaking a stride"

The really underrated part of the X is the self opening/closing front doors. When you are holding two coffees in your hand and the door opens for you as you're walking up, you step in and press the brake and the door closes, its amazing. Same with exiting, if your hands are full and you walk away from the car with only the driver's side door open, it will close itself and lock. I know it sounds like a gimmick, but this is one of the main things I miss (besides autopilot) when we have to drive any other car.

Now, someone else on this particular thread had said that the luxury tax was still under review. I did find this locked article that it's been delayed so far as I can read it without going through a subscription: Delay in federal luxury levy is taxing the patience of Canadian dealers

This is the substance of the proposed tax: Consultation on proposed Luxury Tax - Canada.ca

Keep your fingers crossed that they twiddle their fingers into at least February and don't try to make it retroactive either.

Reactions: stephenstohn
Now, someone else on this particular thread had said that the luxury tax was still under review. I did find this locked article that it's been delayed so far as I can read it without going through a subscription: Delay in federal luxury levy is taxing the patience of Canadian dealers

This is the substance of the proposed tax: Consultation on proposed Luxury Tax - Canada.ca

Keep your fingers crossed that they twiddle their fingers into at least February and don't try to make it retroactive either.
Parliament doesn't sit again until Feb so won't be until then at least.