Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last post I made about the refresh x flippers I was spot on, turns out the white one was actually more than 133K and now there’s a new blue one for right where I guessed it at 150k on the dot… this is kinda ridiculous how there’s about to be a whole lot of more people that get these that are wanting to just resell them for profit meanwhile the people that want and need them so they can keep it will be waiting an extremely long wait
Since getting my 2018 CPO Model X 100D a few weeks ago, I'm undecided whether to keep the 2022 Model X LR when it ships, whether to flip it, or whether to cancel and forfeit the $250 deposit. I finally sold my 2014 Model S today, and it was a lot of effort for something much cheaper than a brand-new Model X. I have a demanding job, and screening potential buyers - and avoiding scammers - took a lot of time and energy. I eventually sold it to a local Mercedes dealer, and even then the transaction required me to sit in the dealership for about half the day. (Another reminder how frustrating dealers can be.)

On the bright side, I don't expect a 5-seat Model X anytime soon, so there is no rush to decide...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferrari ex
Same for S and X with FSD beta. That's why I'm passing on FSD. 10k is a lot of money and I've wasted money on FSD on my S. It's not close and won't be reliable for years.

I'd rather just keep regular AP. I don't even use NoA. It's been really bad since it came out. I do like the lane changes but I'll deal with that one lost feature.
agree. lane changes are the best feature, other's are not there yet and seem to be far. i'm sure they will come up with yet another re-write in the near future.

Me too! Ordered 3/21, upgrade to 6 sears Oct, black interior, LR 20" gray exterior. Getting insurance quote now. SF bay area
Update: took delivery last night! First impression: when you drive off and let off the accelerator, regenerative braking seems way too much, screen showing "calibration" in affect. After about 10 minutes that went away. Delivery was smooth. Vehicle looks fabulous. Fun to drive. Yoke will be easy to get used to. Stoked!

Same for S and X with FSD beta. That's why I'm passing on FSD. 10k is a lot of money and I've wasted money on FSD on my S. It's not close and won't be reliable for years.

I'd rather just keep regular AP. I don't even use NoA. It's been really bad since it came out. I do like the lane changes but I'll deal with that one lost feature.
Yep. Exactly spot on for FSD. It is nowhere near ready.

Reactions: Elixir and LL#2
Since getting my 2018 CPO Model X 100D a few weeks ago, I'm undecided whether to keep the 2022 Model X LR when it ships, whether to flip it, or whether to cancel and forfeit the $250 deposit. I finally sold my 2014 Model S today, and it was a lot of effort for something much cheaper than a brand-new Model X. I have a demanding job, and screening potential buyers - and avoiding scammers - took a lot of time and energy. I eventually sold it to a local Mercedes dealer, and even then the transaction required me to sit in the dealership for about half the day. (Another reminder how frustrating dealers can be.)

On the bright side, I don't expect a 5-seat Model X anytime soon, so there is no rush to decide...

I'm sure there's quite a few people who will stand in line to pre-purchase it. That is come up with a deal, make sure they can achieve it, and then sell it to them when you actually get the new one. You should have plenty of time to sort through all of the requests to purchase.

I'm sure there's quite a few people who will stand in line to pre-purchase it. That is come up with a deal, make sure they can achieve it, and then sell it to them when you actually get the new one. You should have plenty of time to sort through all of the requests to purchase.
I wish it were so easy but I’m worn out from dealing with flakes and cheapskates while selling a $35K used car. At 4x the price, I would expect 4x the problems. Now neighbor, if you’re volunteering, send me a PM…

Hi Y'all,
I took delivery in Irvine yesterday and spent 8 hours driving/sitting in the X. While much of it was spent in gridlock traffic it was heavenly!

Upon inspection the 22" wheel inserts were not in the wheels. They were all stored in a cardboard box in the frunk. The Tesla associate informed me they thought their customers would like the look without inserts better. I am going to drive for a few weeks without them and then add the inserts to see if there is any significant difference in Wh/mi. The 22's are gorgeous. I really love the big wheel look both in high and low suspension positions.

The key cards were in the front center console between cupholders and screen. The two fob keys were in the glovebox. The tow hitch and travel charger were sitting in the trunk.

Some of the rubber sealing along the body of the FWD were uneven. I was able to run my fingers along it and secure it well.

Everything was spot on with the exception of the mud I tracked into the car by accident while inspecting (rainy day pickup in Irvine) 🤦‍♂️

One interesting quirk was that both front doors could not close themselves initially. The door would swing shut but the latch would not engage and the door would pop back open. Next I pushed the door shut and the latch engaged. After opening the door again it was able to close/latch at the push of a button and has ever since. I was about to panic and run back into the service center but was relieved after they started working properly.

I am on vacation for next few days but will post more of my experiences after a lengthy drive home with the family.

Happy New Years to all!!!

Carmax. $10,000 higher than Tesla for my 2017 X in August. Today I took in a 2016 Subaru and got 3,000 more than expected. Worth it.

Reactions: jbrowdy
Saying no radar is better is just lies. It's like them saying auto headlights or wipers are better. Better for Tesla but not customers.

Radar AP goes up to 90mph, vision only 80. Works in fog, snow , etc. I know. It's never let me down. Tesla vision is a real gamble.

S and X still have radar. High end lives are worth the 15 buck part.
I was initially bothered when I learned Tesla was removing radar but then I forced myself to think from a first principles approach and I believe now that of going to pure vision was merely a temporary setback and radar was (in its present state in Teslas) holding back FSD progress.

There are situations where it’s very hard for humans to drive and for those situations extending the spectrum of usable incoming light to the near-visible (ie infrared) could be very helpful (as Sandy Munro has said recently). While Sandy is suggesting it only for forward looking cameras, I think it could be helpful in the side cameras and rear cameras at least for sentry mode (if not a number of other good purposes).

It is possible that in the future radar may offer additional supplemental information.

Reactions: focher and Stro
Carmax. $10,000 higher than Tesla for my 2017 X in August. Today I took in a 2016 Subaru and got 3,000 more than expected. Worth it.
For my Model S, Tesla’s offer was one of the lowest. CarMax was in the middle. The first offer from Vroom was competitive, but each updated offer was about 10% below the previous one! I eventually registered on CarFax, who put me in touch with a few local dealers.

I was initially bothered when I learned Tesla was removing radar but then I forced myself to think from a first principles approach and I believe now that of going to pure vision was merely a temporary setback and radar was (in its present state in Teslas) holding back FSD progress.

There are situations where it’s very hard for humans to drive and for those situations extending the spectrum of usable incoming light to the near-visible (ie infrared) could be very helpful (as Sandy Munro has said recently). While Sandy is suggesting it only for forward looking cameras, I think it could be helpful in the side cameras and rear cameras at least for sentry mode (if not a number of other good purposes).

It is possible that in the future radar may offer additional supplemental information.
Both Vision and Radar systems have their limitations. As people have pointed out radar works in fog. But, I am not sure if that is a good thing since it may make people drive too fast in poor visibility depending on the radar to save them. Also, radar, not lidar, is not greater at determining the shape of obstructions so causes false positives.

I am not sure we want systems that can do better than human vision until all vehicles are that good.

FWIW, I am not a Luddite. I say this as someone who works in Machine Learning daily.

Great pictures. This means the production line has ramped to the point where it can make all the types of Model Xs. The 4th quarter earning report will give us an update on volume. I've seen estimates of around 2000 S's & X's for the quarter.

I expect Tesla to prioritize Plaids now, but hopefully everyone who's been waiting a year will get their car early in the 1st quarter as the line continues to ramp up.
I bet around ~3000 S's & X's total for the quarter. Based on the VIN reported here, it seems at least ~1000 MX were produced.

The issue Tesla has was they are terrible at sensor fusion. Google has a really good heuristic for sensor fusion. Tesla shouldn't give up on a sensor just because it muddies the water. We have plenty of senses and we don't cut out our eyes if we are a concert pianist to simplify things.
I’m unfortunately not an expert (I love this stuff) but I mean did you carefully watch AI Day? That’s pretty much razor cutting edge IMO.

And btw, I can FINALLY personally compare cruise control, regular autopilot, Navigate on Autopilot, and actual FSD beta:

In my opinion, FSD beta is a large stepwise improvement over NoA, which is a small but substantial step over autopilot, which is a fairly large step improvement over cruise control.

New 4k flyover just uploaded
Wow quite a few MXs waiting to be shipped. Coincidentally or not, they are all white..
Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 4.07.24 PM.png

Last edited:
Both Vision and Radar systems have their limitations. As people have pointed out radar works in fog. But, I am not sure if that is a good thing since it may make people drive too fast in poor visibility depending on the radar to save them. Also, radar, not lidar, is not greater at determining the shape of obstructions so causes false positives.

I am not sure we want systems that can do better than human vision until all vehicles are that good.

FWIW, I am not a Luddite. I say this as someone who works in Machine Learning daily.
Well seeing through the fog and noticing a human driven car on the wrong side of the road should improve safety.

I believe progress by anyone will ultimately improve the lives of those being left behind. In my view it would be misguided to hold back progress by some until all have achieved a particular new status quo. (Taken to its logical conclusion that view would stop all progress.)

Regardless, I can’t wait to receive my LR red /white FSD (yay) 7-seater 20” Model X refresh! Cheers! ☺️