Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree they're not being malicious and I'm sure people are working hard but after the 3rd time moving an estimated delivery date for a 6-figure commitment, I think it warrants some direct communication with your customers or a blog post at least to tell us what's up. That's why I'm on the brink here where...ok this thing does exist in the wild, and I'm hoping my Feb EDD is legit but if they move this again without any word I wanted to throw some idea out here in case people want to organize a digital "crowd with pitch forks" haha.

And as for updates, I hope they're not banking on everyone watching drone footage or scouring a 700+ page thread all day at all hours to get some % of the truth.

100%! I'm an original 6 seat order late Feb '21. But I also think for the ramp up they won't just stop 6 seat production all together and it'll be more like batches: this day 6 seat, this day 5 seat, next day 7 seat, etc. but overall for the next few months there's a good mix. I think it should be reasonable to expect from a market leader/innovative $1T company that order dates matter and that most people should get their cars in the order they were received or tell us what the plan is.
The February date is a placeholder. I fully expect 5/7 seaters to slip to April/May/June for actual delivery timeframes.

Lower your expectations significantly and then be surprised if they deliver sooner. That’s how I’m keeping myself from getting upset as the months tick by.

New week tomorrow. Let’s see if we see VINs and if any LRs will be included. I have hope we will see some 2020 orders and Jan 2021 orders get some VINs soon.
It seems like they will never finish the 2020 orders. They just continue to live on because Tesla keeps giving Vins to cars in Feb, March, June, etc. I so wish I could be a fly on the wall in the Model X allocation cubicle. There must be some favoritism going on there. Nothing else makes sense.

It seems like they will never finish the 2020 orders. They just continue to live on because Tesla keeps giving Vins to cars in Feb, March, June, etc. I so wish I could be a fly on the wall in the Model X allocation cubicle. There must be some favoritism going on there. Nothing else makes sense.
Oh I'm sorry you must be out of the loop. To get a VIN you have to PayPal $100 to [email protected]

Got tired of managing with single car and booked a Model Y last week, got it delivered in the config (blue/white) last night at 9 30 pm at my house as part of year end push. Now my 7 seater X can take its own time. Not what I was planning to do, but happy with Y so far.
I ordered a MYLR at the same time that I ordered my X in 5/21. When it became clear that it was going to be awhile before the X arrived, I ordered a MYP and took delivery in November. Sold my wife’s ICE SUV last week. We will drive the Y’s until the X arrives. At this point, I would rather wait longer if it means the car has fewer flaws and glitches when it does eventually arrive.

I’m curious what the ratio between S/X are here:
42556968-FAAA-4285-AD58-8E4D15556949.jpeg

In other news, it appears Tesla has updated the X owners manual to an interactive website (not a PDF).

To the best of my knowledge it looks like they have removed a lot of the copy-paste from the MS manual we saw on the first MX PDF. (i.e. removed mention of wireless phone charging for rear seats)

Delivery timing definitely has more to do with configuration than date of reservation. This was the case back when I ordered the original X as well. I ordered a few weeks before production started and received my car within 2 months when many had been waiting well over a year without any luck. Just need to be lucky enough to order the most common build

Reactions: shamberann
Has to be about $$$ and profit margin I would assume ☹️
Just speculating here; none of this is fact, but I'm thinking there are a variety of factors at play. Profit margin *may* be one of those, but it's probably not the only factor. Supply chain may be another. Sure, Tesla did better than most auto makers when it comes to chip supply, but what about the raw materials required for other things? Random parts arrivals could explain the random nature of configs / deliveries. It was speculated this was the reason the very first batch of refreshed Model X cars delivered all had the cream interior. While conditions have improved, I'm still betting unpredictable parts supply is what has dates sliding all over the place. Maybe some of the completed cars are missing something major, preventing delivery.

Another factor (as mentioned in an earlier post) could be order cancellations. Perhaps people got spooked when they saw availability stretch well into 2022 (and at one point early 2023) and decided to cancel their orders, causing a ripple effect that might have contributed to situations like me ordering my 6-seat MX Plaid in late-July 2021, and receiving a VIN in late-December 2021 and a February 2022 delivery window. Still doesn't explain why some folks who ordered in *January 2021* still don't have their cars though. I'm wondering how many of those are five or seven seat cars, and of those, how many of the owners changed something (paint color, wheel size or seat config) after placing their orders, which might have moved them to the back of the line or otherwise affected their delivery window. There has to be a method to the madness. I'd like to think Tesla is too well established to be winging it.

I’m curious what the ratio between S/X are here:View attachment 751048
Some speculative math...

Tesla started MX deliveries in Q4 21 and MS deliveries in Q3 2021.
Tesla reported 8,941 MS were produced in Q3.
Assuming MS production was constant, 8,941 x 2 (Q3+Q4) = 17,882 MS produced in 2021
Total prod 24,390 - 17,882 = theoretically 6,508 MX produced.

But of course both S and X lines started slow and ramped up. 6,508 can't be correct but I already did the mental math and typed it out so I am pressing the Post Reply button. :)

Last edited:
I’m curious what the ratio between S/X are here:View attachment 751048
I just spoke with a Tesla rep who sounded like he is pretty plugged into what's going on... who knows... in any case, he did say that there is a shortage of contracted for all season tires that is affecting tesla's ability to deliver target volumes of a number of model configurations, including X,S and Y... whereas the plaids don't use all-season tires, they use performance tires which are not suffering from this shortage. This is all one reason Tesla seems to have pivoted to those configurations... no idea if this is all true, just thought I would share what I heard....

Would be nice if they actual communicated honestly with us so we could make decisions like that. I've got 3 cars I need to refresh, when they keep telling me my the X is on the way, and have been doing so since last year, makes is hard to make the correct decision... because ya, if my car is only 2 months away, we'll get it, wait and see how the wife likes it, and then buy the next car.
Would be nice if they actual communicated honestly with us so we could make decisions like that. I've got 3 cars I need to refresh, when they keep telling me my the X is on the way, and have been doing so since last year, makes is hard to make the correct decision... because ya, if my car is only 2 months away, we'll get it, wait and see how the wife likes it, and then buy the next car.
After speaking with the SA And the delivery patterns over the few months I got a sense that my April 21 7 seat order will not come until April or May and I cannot manage without a second car till that time. At least my SA was very efficient in finding a car with my specifications within a week and made a nice anniversary present to my wife 😉. I guess from Tesla’s point of view they now got a new customer for the Y. I never planned on buying a Y and was quite happy with my 3 for a commute car. Hopefully inflated Model 3 values will help me when X finally arrives.

So, for those in Europe who have orders, what has happened to your EDDs? I'm wondering if Tesla is going to push some European builds for shipping in January as I think in the past it's usually the first month of a quarter that the allocations go abroad. I don't remember if it got pushed back to mid-2022 or not. With all of the vehicles sitting around the test track along with the Kato Road long-term storage it seems to me that they might be set aside for it.

Delivery timing definitely has more to do with configuration than date of reservation. This was the case back when I ordered the original X as well. I ordered a few weeks before production started and received my car within 2 months when many had been waiting well over a year without any luck. Just need to be lucky enough to order the most common build
I do have the common build and do live 4hrs from the factory and nothing. In fact I live closer than the SoCal deliveries.

Reactions: Chancellor32
I just spoke with a Tesla rep who sounded like he is pretty plugged into what's going on... who knows... in any case, he did say that there is a shortage of contracted for all season tires that is affecting tesla's ability to deliver target volumes of a number of model configurations, including X,S and Y... whereas the plaids don't use all-season tires, they use performance tires which are not suffering from this shortage. This is all one reason Tesla seems to have pivoted to those configurations... no idea if this is all true, just thought I would share what I heard....
Tires depend on the size of rim you order, not if the car is a LongRange or Plaid. For instance a LR or Plaid with 20" rims would receive the same tires.

According to our order tracking spreadsheet, of the 30 individuals who have received a VIN, 7 orders have 22" rims and only 2 orders are Plaid.

• Funny
Reactions: zapparino
So, for those in Europe who have orders, what has happened to your EDDs? I'm wondering if Tesla is going to push some European builds for shipping in January as I think in the past it's usually the first month of a quarter that the allocations go abroad. I don't remember if it got pushed back to mid-2022 or not. With all of the vehicles sitting around the test track along with the Kato Road long-term storage it seems to me that they might be set aside for it.
I was under the impression that US/Canada got mostly Feb placeholders and Europe saw Nov (or later) placeholders. Based on that I suspect Tesla isn’t in a rush to load up a ship.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
If 5 seater is “standard” why are we last in line? Waiting. Waiting. Also, not having bought any car in 15 years, let alone a Tesla, I am having anxiety re delivery window and payment. I am about 250 miles from the delivery center at best and 750 miles possible. and am not doing a trade in and have no other car. I have a dog to kennel. I need time to get logistics worked out. Time needed to finalize financing, insurance. Can’t do either without VIN. Reassurance would be nice.
Honestly, if my recent delivery attempt (and rejection) is the norm then I think you might find some comfort in waiting. It appears at least that they are not done ramping this car... not even close. Personally if I could check a box that says "wait until ramp is done so I get a 'perfect' vehicle", I'd 100% do it.