Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was throughly happy with the Tesla experience. I knew from past experience and googling their history that I would get no updates or calls and I just needed to wait and the car would come. It did after 11 months. Please know there are lots of happy customers. I found in mosts online forums its usually just the unhappy ones who take the time to complain. The others have moved on.
I'm glad you and hundreds of thousands have had a happy and positive experience. You're cool with your Model X journey especially since your wait is over.

But please don't negate my experience nor the difficulties other on this thread have faced. I have been very fortunate to have a car to use until my X arrives. As you and I have read... others are not so luckly and have had a miserable experience, they have lost a lot of money because of this fiasco. Some of us needed our cars to be delivered as promised in March/April and that should matter.

"unhappy ones who take the time to complain. The others have moved on." Yeah, when you’re screwed over by lies and deceptions you complain. When you have no problems it's easy to "Move On", there is no equivalency here.

I am happy with my Tesla Solar Panels and my Powerwalls especially with a snow storm heading my way. The install team was awesome.... But trying to talk with Tesla now, it's as bad as calling about my car. My major complaint is less with the SA's or general staffers but with their leaders, the Management team. Things that are wrong can continue to be wrong if no one speaks up,
Once you receive your MX, all of this pain you're experiencing is going to fade away, and you'll be singing Tesla's praises again. That happened to me when I ordered my first Tesla in 2019. I was appalled at the lack of communication and the on-again, off-again, on-again delivery scheduling. Previously, I'd only driven BMWs (had owned five of them, sequentially, culminating in a 2016 750Li that I traded for the Model X P100D) and was expecting the delivery experience to match BMWs given the price I paid for the Model X. Tesla fell waaayyy short. But when I finally received the car it clicked. I got it. The car itself was LEAGUES better than the 750 I'd just traded. I was sooo in love with the car, with the entire ownership experience, the ordering and scheduling nightmares simply faded away. "The more difficult the birth, the more beloved the child."
Thanks for sharing your experience and viewpoint.
Like my Solar Panels and Powerwalls I love the hardware and the install team but Tesla as a company sucked at the planning, the scheduling and now with support. But I still love my Solar Panels and Powerwalls.

I hope my MX will be perfect at delivering and I will love it as I do my Solar Panels and Powerwalls.. Time will tell... But I will not be forgetting what I've been thought in this experience.

Again.. thanks for the feedback!

Out of curiosity I called the local number for my delivery center in Fort Lauderdale. I was eventually routed to someone named Brittany who was very friendly. She explained she's not located in Ft Laud and that my call was routed to one of many employees that work remotely for Tesla. She was able to bring up my account only after I verified my name, didn't need Reservation # or anything else. Her end showed the same EDD of February that I see and she was quick to emphasize it was only an estimate and will likely get pushed out farther. She said the Ft Laud center has been delivering refreshed MX's since October and is working through a large backlog.

FWIW

June 2021 order White/Black/5 seat/20's/No FSD
Brittney is a sweet gal. Spoke to her in the past and she moved to west coast Florida. I ordered months before you 7 seater, February, and waiting.

Forgot about the birds-eye display. I really miss that from the BMW. It made parking even in tight spots easy. To me, it seems that Tesla could install one wide-angle camera down low in the nose and have more than enough views to stitch together that display.
I have read somewhere that they are coming up with this feature however will only be part of the FSD package. I may be wrong.

It is product segmentation. Every car company does this. My neighbor's Taycan Turbo S is not worth 90K more than a Taycan 4, but that is the price difference. And that is before options. You can easily add $40K of options to these cars. Airlines do it with seats. The same flight is $350 in coach, $5,000 in First.

Product cost amortization is also a factor. The X sells in far smaller numbers (25,000/yr) than the Y (150,000+/yr). So the cost of engineering and production for X is spread among fewer units. And we all know the X is a very unique car, sharing less than 30% of parts with the S, versus the 3 and Y sharing over 70% of parts.

As Elon has stated. With the X you buying a Faberge Egg. Expensive, unique, and exclusive.
How do you/they like their Turbo S? Canceling the Plaid for a GTS ST order has crossed my mind. I was super impressed with the base RWD Taycan handling capability…I had a ton of fun in that car, so I have high hopes for the GTS.

I'm glad you and hundreds of thousands have had a happy and positive experience. You're cool with your Model X journey especially since your wait is over.

But please don't negate my experience nor the difficulties other on this thread have faced. I have been very fortunate to have a car to use until my X arrives. As you and I have read... others are not so luckly and have had a miserable experience, they have lost a lot of money because of this fiasco. Some of us needed our cars to be delivered as promised in March/April and that should matter.

"unhappy ones who take the time to complain. The others have moved on." Yeah, when you’re screwed over by lies and deceptions you complain. When you have no problems it's easy to "Move On", there is no equivalency here.

I am happy with my Tesla Solar Panels and my Powerwalls especially with a snow storm heading my way. The install team was awesome.... But trying to talk with Tesla now, it's as bad as calling about my car. My major complaint is less with the SA's or general staffers but with their leaders, the Management team. Things that are wrong can continue to be wrong if no one speaks up,

Thanks for sharing your experience and viewpoint.
Like my Solar Panels and Powerwalls I love the hardware and the install team but Tesla as recompany sucked at the planning, the scheduling and now with support. But I still love my Solar Panels and Powerwalls.

I hope my MX will be perfect at delivering and I will love it as I do my Solar Panels and Powerwalls.. Time will tell... But I will not be forgetting what I've been thought in this experience.

Again.. thanks for the feedback!
My point was I had the same experience, but anticipated it and rolled with it without letting it aggregate me. Therefore its what I expected and I was happy. Just check this thread occasionally to see who still doesn't have cars and how they're coping.

Reactions: UCF3
To go from a Tesla to an ICE vehicle is depressing. Also, the wife already warned me. I'm allowed ONE car purchase this year. So if I get an ICE car, that's it. No reselling or anything else. How I miss the single life sometimes.

Maybe we'll all be lucky today. We shall wait and see what the Tesla Gods bless us with today.
Here’s hoping you get a VIN soon.

Great information Abel.

By now, customers of Tesla should be well aware of the Tesla policy and stop the incessent complaining. Once Tesla gets your order they will go radio silent until they have a need to contact you for delivery. They have no desire to give constant updates, as they know that circumstances often change during production and those updates are often in-accurate.
The program is for you to place your order, then go away and concentrate on other things. Do not obsess over when your car will come, as that is not productive for anyone. Get your affairs in order so that when the call comes, you will be able to consumate your deal.
Pricing is fluid, options are fluid, availability is fluid, configurations are fluid...everything is subject to changes, including expected delivery dates.
This is the Tesla way...get over it.

In many ways it is similar to having a child. The expectation is that in 9 Months you will see a happy, healthy baby to raise as you wish. Of course along the way, many things can happen. Gotta roll with the punches. But constantly asking "Is it here yet" will not change the reality that the baby will come when the baby comes.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 11.31.26 AM.png

The X they were testing in the flyover looks like one of the early Mules because it has the 22 inch rims but in silver. like we saw back around march.

I'm glad you feel that way. I also had great experience with my BMW X3M Competition and the dealer's delivery and service. The car was exceptional, however I sold it based on "one of the many" Tesla promised delivery dates. Now we have a single car and I'm driving a Sprinter delivery van from my wife's business!

I can tell you that just because the X is an exceptional vehicle with amazing features and capabilities, it won't be good enough to erase the HORRIBLE experience with Tesla. If we did business with other companies that lie and continually over promise and under deliver, like Tesla has and continues to do, I doubt that we'd keep doing business with them. In my case this transaction is a one and done with Tesla. I'll buy future EV's from a company that values my business and understands what customer service is and what it means, even if the EV isn't equal to or comparable to Tesla vehicles.

The anticipation of the new X is the only thing keeping me interested in Tesla. Like others, I also don't own Tesla stock and am definitely not a fan boy! From many other posts here, it sounds like Tesla is the "same ol' company" they've always been. I had a boss who shared some outstanding wisdom with me. He said that "you can't talk your way out of something you behaved your way into". I found that extremely profound and applicable to what we've experienced with Tesla.

That is all... (off my soapbox now)
Preach. Agree with you. And speaking of soapboxes, my response may have sounded like I was standing on one of my own, so apologies there if it further incensed you. Tesla has been the only game in town for a long time, so I, too, hope the emerging EV competition helps show them the value of consistently stellar customer service.

I think Tesla is trying to do too many things at the same time, and are all torqued up because of it (Full Self Driving, Giga Texas, Giga Berlin, 4680 production, CyberTruck, Semi, Roadster, Tesla Bot, Solar Roof, PowerWall, insurance, yada yada...) The supply chain issues haven't helped either. Sure, they weathered the chip shortage relatively well, but I'll bet raw materials for other parts of the car are still a challenge, hence all the delays and weird sequencing of deliveries. Layer poor communication and customer experience on top of that, and, well, here we are.

You're going to love the car though 🙃

Great information Abel.

By now, customers of Tesla should be well aware of the Tesla policy and stop the incessent complaining. Once Tesla gets your order they will go radio silent until they have a need to contact you for delivery. They have no desire to give constant updates, as they know that circumstances often change during production and those updates are often in-accurate.
The program is for you to place your order, then go away and concentrate on other things. Do not obsess over when your car will come, as that is not productive for anyone. Get your affairs in order so that when the call comes, you will be able to consumate your deal.
Pricing is fluid, options are fluid, availability is fluid, configurations are fluid...everything is subject to changes, including expected delivery dates.
This is the Tesla way...get over it.

In many ways it is similar to having a child. The expectation is that in 9 Months you will see a happy, healthy baby to raise as you wish. Of course along the way, many things can happen. Gotta roll with the punches. But constantly asking "Is it here yet" will not change the reality that the baby will come when the baby comes.

Agree fully. The more information Tesla supplies to customers, the more information customers have to complain about when their expectations aren't met. For instance the Q3 calls to everyone asking if they wanted to move to a 6 seater. All they had to do is ask customers if they wanted to change to a 6 seater and highlight that they are building 6 seaters exclusively first. They didn't need to make end of year / December commitments to the customers. They just dug a hole.

Reactions: ammulder
What if my child is 6 months late. It’d most likely be dead or come out walking and pointing at my wife’s boob. People are allowed to express their frustration here. After all, it’s a “waiting room”. Giving Tesla a pass simply because it’s the “Tesla way” is rather silly. As a stockholder and fanboy, I’m ashamed of the company. For sure this will be my last (oh wait, my Cybertruck will be last) Tesla I ever buy.
Wait until Tesla introduces a VTOL supersonic electric plane. Correction: VTOL supersonic electric Cyberplane.

I just called Tesla, like others have today, and the lady was super nice. However, her words were, "Because it's the beginning of the year, they haven't updated the system much this week, so what you currently see on your account (February) is most likely the most accurate date you will be able to get. However, if you call at the end of the month, we should hopefully be able to give you a better glimpse regarding your MX order."

I asked about other people with the exact same configuration and location with order dates months after me getting their MX before me and her response was silence followed by, "I don't know what to tell you."