Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an embarrassing question and I am sure there is a specific google search term that could give me the answer but I am relying on this support group to provide the answer nonetheless.

How do I spot a refresh X on the street without waiting to see steering wheel vs yoke? I am especially thinking about spotting one while driving. Is there a front side feature that differentiates the refresh from the earlier versions?
The front blinker lights underneath the headlights are flat and long like the 3 and Y.

I did it a few days ago just to see
I think addresses may have a bit to do with it? Then again, some people are getting delivery in the same general area as long-waiting orders.

Has anybody geographically mapped out locations of deliveries?

Because either
1) Tesla is simply struggling uphill in every way imaginable and doesn’t have the best delivery-management system , or
2) Somebody in Tesla is actually perversely getting a twisted rise out of creating a lopsided delivery experience.

I think the latter is unlikely. But if it is true, there’s usually an identifiable trend or pattern to the psychopath.

Last edited:
Reactions: zapparino
With the sad news that the delays for MXLR 5 seaters will likely be delayed way past next month we bought a second vehicle yesterday so we don’t have to keep sharing the one car even though our EDD is next month. (April 2021 order).
if luck prevails this purchase will trigger a huge run of 5/7 VINners And we’ll all be driving our MX this week 😎😬😎

I think addresses may have a bit to do with it? Then again, some people are getting delivery in the same general area as long-waiting orders.

Has anybody geographically mapped out locations of deliveries?

Because either
1) Tesla is simply struggling uphill in every way imaginable and doesn’t have the best delivery-management system , or
2) Somebody in Tesla is actually perversely getting a twisted rise out of creating a lopsided delivery experience.

I think the latter is unlikely. But if it is true, there’s usually an identifiable trend or pattern to the psychopath.
My wife is in logistics and I know truckers and others are still going through hell in some parts of the country, not to mention costs multiplying. Not enough peeps. Add on top of that Tesla’s not-so-great competence when it comes to logistics and you have a nice recipe for disaster. Obviously our problem is beyond logistics and most likely lies in production because Tesla has zero problems making M3s, MSs, and MYs. But even those delivery dates are never certain and unknown (but nothing like our experience). So to summarize… I have no clue wtf is going with Tesla and doubt anyone outside of Tesla does either. BUT, I can almost guarantee you’ll get your MX this decade. ALMOST.

Stopped by the Reno showroom today and spoke with a guy there. I asked if I had a SA because I haven’t heard from anyone since I ordered Jan 23,2021. He said I did have someone and they’d reach out to schedule delivery once I get a VIN. We talked about the painful process and lack of communication and he said that they are waiting on lots of parts but recently it’s been more batteries (also made outside of Reno). So looks like I’ll be volunteering some time this week making batteries so all of us can become VINners.
I genuinely want to believe them... but I can't.
SAs say everything from chip shortages, to battery shortages, rim/tire shortages, etc.

My response... how do you explain the record breaking delivery numbers in Q4 2021, let alone total delivery for 2021.

🏆<- The creativity award for the SA that said there is a shortage of 5/7 seat benches yesterday. Its metal, plastic and leather... Are those materials not used elsewhere in the car?

Sales tax credit?

I think the tax credits in Rhode Island have gone away.

Price of trade-in is subtracted from sales price for dealers/Tesla and RI is one of those states so you’ll pay less sales tax (for any trade-in transaction not specific to EVs or Tesla).

But the used car market is so hot right now even taking into account my state’s sales tax (6%), it’s still worth it for me to sell to a dealer/private party since everyone is offering me around $40K for my 2018 M3 Silver, LR, FSD, 50k miles. Tesla was offering me $33.5K last Feb at MX order time. So I canceled the trade-in last week and I’ll probably sell to this dealer since it’s less of a headache.

PS: LOVE RI! I grew up there and got married there.

Just a speculation...

As I sit here trying comprehend the decisions tesla makes..
From the flyover videos that we have seen for some reason we can see that the MX requires extra attention. They end up in the test track lot or in the detailing building for further/extra attention. Musk has confirmed that the X takes longer to build. The M3/Y however roll right off the production line and into the delivery lot.

This makes me wonder - from a business perspective it is possible Tesla would rather produce 2 MY in the same time it takes to produce one MX (rough numbers for instance).

The profit margin may be higher producing multiple lower cost vehicles in a short period of time than a single high cost vehicle in a longer period of time.

If Tesla is pushing Q4/Q1 delivery numbers it makes sense that they would only produce the Plaid/6-seater (most expensive) as a means to deter the consumer from the less expensive LR & 5/7-seat options. Nothing to do with parts shortages, everything to do with profit margins.
Maybe.

Last edited:
That’s good to know. My husband me MaxSpider mats right after I placed my order 1/27/21. I have been looking at the box for almost a year waiting for my car.
I got 3d maxpider for 2021 version and had to return. I am testing the tesmanian floormats now. The front driver, passenger mats fit really well, frunk fit fine. Will watch the middle mat for fitness as the mats may take some time to flatten out and properly fit due to being folded in the box.

Just a speculation...

As I sit here trying comprehend the decisions tesla makes..
From the flyover videos that we have seen for some reason we can see that the MX requires extra attention. They end up in the test track lot or in the detailing building for further/extra attention. Musk has confirmed that the X takes longer to build. The M3/Y however roll right off the production line and into the delivery lot.

This makes me wonder - from a business perspective it is possible Tesla would rather produce 2 MY in the same time it takes to produce one MX (rough numbers for instance).

The profit margin may be higher producing multiple lower cost vehicles in a short period of time than a single high cost vehicle in a longer period of time.

If Tesla is pushing Q4/Q1 delivery numbers it makes sense that they would only produce the Plaid/6-seater (most expensive) as a means to deter the consumer from the less expensive LR & 5/7-seat options. Nothing to do with parts shortages, everything to do with profit margins.
Maybe.
Aren’t the MYs coming out of production every 20 seconds in China? Maybe we need the Chinese to ‘fix the glitch’ here in America.

• Funny
Reactions: studioloft
Between Tesla's inability to deliver and this thread, there needs to be a warning put somewhere that essentially says: "Warning! Please be advised that constant checking of this thread (along with your Tesla account) will result in anxiety, stress, confusion, addiction and eventually madness - just like crack. Please seek treatment if you start to see symptoms."

I'm guessing it's time to start a recovery group...

Between Tesla's inability to deliver and this thread, there needs to be a warning put somewhere that essentially says: "Warning! Please be advised that constant checking of this thread (along with your Tesla account) will result in anxiety, stress, confusion, addiction and eventually madness - just like crack. Please seek treatment if you start to see symptoms."

I'm guessing it's time to start a recovery group...
Lol. I’ll surely miss this thread once this is all over. Feels like we’ve been to war together. Maybe we will need a yearly reunion.

That’s my experience too. I picked up my 2022 MX Plaid last night (see page 805, post 16,097 for pics) and have been noting the subtle diffs vs my 2019 MX P100D. The middle row floor area has been subtlety modified. For example, the cutouts for the two mono-post seats are slightly deeper. From a physical design perspective, the car looks nearly identical to the 2019 on the outside (except lower facia tweaks front and rear) but based on my early experience with the car, I am convinced Tesla tweaked absolutely *everything* under the skin and in the interior. The motors for the auto-presenting doors are so much quieter now, and feel sturdier. The sound they make is somehow more purposeful (can’t think of a better word) and less whiney than the previous model. When the driver’s side door auto-closes (when pressing the brake pedal) it’s no longer slammed shut. It “motors” shut, with force, but not as much force as my 2019 — just enough to engage the soft-close feature to complete the job. It feels way more premium. Same goes for the motor driving the trunk.

And speaking of the lower facia, the housing for the lower turn signals, fog lights and running lights is really a thing of beauty vs the affordance for same on my 2019. See photo I captured of the 2022 implementation at 3/4 angle to show both light sources contained in the housing. The housing is largely hollow, but reflective. There are small LEDs: two white LED strips exposed (at least it appears to be two), and two small individual LEDs behind an amber reflector. From the side view, the amber color appears to bathe the housing in amber light (parking lights, for example) while the same space viewed head-on has the effect of being bathed in white light. Love the thought that went into such a simple, unassuming part of the car.

View attachment 753585
How are the FWD? I notice with the older models, they don’t move with much confidence. Are these a bit more sturdy?