Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it now has become increasingly clear that Tesla is only prioritizing the most expensive configurations of the X, ordered AFTER the prices increases last year.

I don't think there is any hope whatsoever that the 5 seat configuration will be made/shipped any time soon, especially to me here in Canada.

This is extremely disappointing.
They are having 'bench' issues. Maybe a particular supplier maxed out?

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
They are having 'bench' issues. Maybe a particular supplier maxed out?
Eh, I have heard SAs say this but I don't buy it. The bench should be one of the easier items to make. Its a metal frame, wire mesh interior, foam filling, plastic edge, leather covering. It's the same materials used in the 5/7 seat benches.
If anything the 6-seat should be harder to manufacture as it as a motorized track system where the 5-seat just screws in.

My educated guess - they are pushing for a high Q1 throughput and want to discourage buyers from the cheaper models. They can produce more M3/MY where the MX slows down factory throughput.
maybe they are re-designing the bench? I was hoping the bench would be like a Y where it has armrest AND center pass through. I mean much of the car was updating to what tech/standards the 3 and Y have...so why not the bench?
This would be good! I have always thought it didn't make sense that the MS has the wireless phone chargers but according to documentation not the 5/7 seat MX. The wireless phone chargers should totally be on the 5/7 seat MX - no reason not to have them. Keep the MS/MX lines standardized.

maybe they are re-designing the bench? I was hoping the bench would be like a Y where it has armrest AND center pass through. I mean much of the car was updating to what tech/standards the 3 and Y have...so why not the bench?
I would hope they had redesigned the 2nd row captains and the bench. That way, the captains fold flat and add armrests while the bench middle could fold flat to allow for longer stuff (as well as incorporating the wireless charging and fold down armrest that the Model S has in the back now. So much could be done to make it all better.

I think it now has become increasingly clear that Tesla is only prioritizing the most expensive configurations of the X, ordered AFTER the prices increases last year.

I don't think there is any hope whatsoever that the 5 seat configuration will be made/shipped any time soon, especially to me here in Canada.

This is extremely disappointing.
My rejected VIN was pre-price increases, so nope on this theory.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-132853.png
    Screenshot_20220109-132853.png
    543.5 KB · Views: 90
I have 2 Rivian R1S on order, a model 3 LR, and Model X Plaid 5 seater...

my Model 3 LR was up since last year...i'm holding out for Plaid or Rivian. The new BMW iX looks very attractive too. Tesla wanted to cancel my 3 reservation as I got it pre-price bump...i'm like look...i'm waiting for my X and it is there as backup. The X date got pushed from November now to Feb now to don't think its going to be built with 5 seats. He was like okay, i'll put it on hold for you a 3rd time
The iX looked attractive but a) lack of a frunk and b) storage space behind the second row lower than a GLC c) lack of a tow hitch from factory were hard pills to swallow.

That and a 1500 deposit with the SA stating clearly that they have no idea about ETA basically pushed me out of that camp.

The R1S is probably going to arrive at the same time as my Dec 2020 order.

If only they offered armrests on the captains chair, I would switch to the 6 seater. It’s a personal preference thing.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
The iX looked attractive but a) lack of a frunk and b) storage space behind the second row lower than a GLC c) lack of a tow hitch from factory were hard pills to swallow.

That and a 1500 deposit with the SA stating clearly that they have no idea about ETA basically pushed me out of that camp.

The R1S is probably going to arrive at the same time as my Dec 2020 order.

If only they offered armrests on the captains chair, I would switch to the 6 seater. It’s a personal preference thing.
missing the frunk, less 2nd row space than an X but significantly cheaper than an X plaid i have on order plus it still has 7500 tax credit and it looks to be a lot more comfortable ride without the yoke and with turn signals. I hated my yoke and lack of turn signals on the S plaid. Willing to give the X another shot as they updated the AI on the turn signals.

Biggest problem aside from the ugly front of the iX is lack of chargers. The point of me opting for an iX if i go that route is more comfort for road trips...which would be a problem if there are no chargers. For instance there are 0 chargers for an iX in mammoth lakes where i would go ski. LOL so there is that

Fremont was originally the old GM Nummi plant with its antiquated configs. They probably have some razing and rebuilding in sections to get Fremont to where the newer Chinese plant is. They'll probably try to get parts of Fremont closer to the latest greatest lines in Berlin/Austin. Didn't Musk mention something about trying to change a tire on a moving bus? Give em some time.
That’s my theory as well..the Fremont factory frankly sucks compared to the new ones. At some point they need to redo the lines for the S and X. Maybe if they can move all Y production to Texas they can build a new model X or S line in that spot without taking down the existing line until they are ready to swap over?

Reactions: zapparino
Okay well mine are an after market and they fit..why would I make this up? Strange.

AFAIK nobody was accusing you making up anything.

I am curious to know what aftermarket mats you have that actually fit. (And which mats people have tried unsuccessfully.) It seems plausible that some pre-Palladium-refresh mats might fit and others not, so that might be important information.

Bruce.

Eh, I have heard SAs say this but I don't buy it. The bench should be one of the easier items to make. Its a metal frame, wire mesh interior, foam filling, plastic edge, leather covering. It's the same materials used in the 5/7 seat benches.
If anything the 6-seat should be harder to manufacture as it as a motorized track system where the 5-seat just screws in.

My educated guess - they are pushing for a high Q1 throughput and want to discourage buyers from the cheaper models. They can produce more M3/MY where the MX slows down factory throughput.
I agree, bench shortage makes absolutely no sense. I think 6 seat-only production will continue until demand for that variant starts to dry up because it’s cheaper to produce minimal variants, especially early in production. They have been trying to maximize 6 seat demand since production started but it will eventually diminish due to higher price/less utility. Hopefully not too long (I’m waiting for 7 seater) but how long is anybody’s guess. Plaid production will obviously extend timeline but I’m hopeful that demand for that is also limited given its cost.

Reactions: studioloft