Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s amazing that Tesla would prioritize someone who ordered 5 months after me and others, and put them on a priority list ahead of hundreds of people who ordered much earlier, accepted a seating configuration that they didn’t want and paid $6500 extra for it, with the agreement that we receive it before the end of the year. How can we not be prioritized ahead of orders like this? Tesla has completely s**t the bed and is being run by the Marx brothers. What a joke

Congratulations on the car though. Not your fault
Louder for the people in the back!!Random thought but IF we actually ever get our cars we could sell them then take that money and buy the expensive plaid (that we don’t want)and get it a week or two later since it’s a new plaid order.

• Funny
Reactions: ironwill96
Traded my tesla model 3 LR. Tesla offered me 10K less than carmax. From what ive read tesla tends to offer less.

BUT theres some money saving when trading your car to tesla because you will save on tax or something like that. Not sure how to factor those.
If you live in a state like IL you get to deduct the full sales tax for your trade in value. So to figure out if the trade in is better than a Carvana or other sale offer, take the trade in value and multiply it by your auto sales tax, that total (trade in + tax) is your actual realized offer.

Example. For my 2018 macan, I got 42k from Tesla, 44.5K from Carvana.
To realize the full value of the Tesla trade in with the 8.5% car sales tax for IL (suburban cook county, not Chicago): 42000 x 1.085 = 45,570. This is better than the Carvana offer.

Last edited:
We placed an order for a Model X Plaid on October 30, 2021. This X will replace our present 2019 Model X Performance (six-seat configuration). Tesla reached out to me concerning my order and today asked me to change from the original 7-seat configuration to a 6-seat. I was expecting the call thanks to this forum. I will receive a credit for the $3,500 increase to go from a 7-seat to a 6-seat. Not happy about it (as we really wanted the storage flexibility the 7-seat provides) but I don't like my other choices of staying with the present 2019 Model X Performance or going with a new LR.

As the call was being recorded, I purposely asked if I would be able to convert back to a 7-seat configuration at no extra charge if the 7-seat becomes available again prior to me taking delivery (as I anticipate the X Plaid base price may increase in the near future). As I expected, Tesla could give me no such assurance. The best I could get is that Tesla will typically work with its customers should something like this occur. I will give Tesla the benefit of the doubt here based on my experience with ordering a Battery Day Model S Plaid Plus and then getting bumped to a Plaid (after the base price had increased). Tesla did eventually do the right thing but there were some hand-wringing days before getting there.

July sounds random to be honest. Was that something in their system? or another random guess by a Tesla rep? My Emails to support they dont give any specific answer, just pointing to SA's, and SA so far has told me just that dont be surprised if the ETDs move further...basically nothing concrete.

I stopped by the Century city Tesla yesterday here in LA. Honestly they have no cars, no customers, no answers when asked about ETA, honestly not sure what they are doing there besides maybe keeping the store neat and clean. 🤷🏽‍♂️
The guy I spoke to said it was in the system. I hope you are right.

Reactions: Kitt9000
I don’t know what would happen in an arbitration but as a litigator I can guarantee you 100% you would win back the $6500 plus costs in a general civil suit.
I’m all for free legal advise and next steps on this since the delivery date is just 11ish days away . . . Don’t want to do something that would interfere with future legal options as I know these things take time.

I would understand if the back row couldn't be in the Plaid due to possible interference/clearance issues between the seat mounts and the motors. This whole 6 seater makes me wonder if they're now redesigning the middle row (and subsequently will be charging an extra amount above the 6 config), but as of late I'm not finding a lot of straight answers coming from them.

Reactions: Pdubb
I’m not sure if anyone has a recording of the verbal calls to pay the $6,500 for a plaid change from 5 seat to 6 for priority delivery in 2021. . . .

Unfortunately 6500 in damages isn't worth an attorney's time. This isn't legal advice but some states don't require a written promise for detrimental reliance or consumer fraud which would likely fall outside the scope of arbitration or can be defeat attempts to compel arbitration.

You could just put your facts into an affidavit or declaration or something and make Tesla deny it.

Regardless, Tesla has an integration clause and denies agents the ability to negotiate or contract, so expect denials of the legal effect of the offer. That's a red herring IMO.

Last edited:
Heard back from our SA “Mike”. He is now acknowledging that Plaid 5/7 orders are being changed to 6 at no charge but since we paid the $6,500 last fall to be made a priority there is no credit or refund . . . Ugh. We didn’t want to change to 6 seat and even initially told him no but called back after a day because we really wanted the car sooner vs later since we had been doing the 1 car thing since April already.
I’m loving how you’re writing his name in quotes, as if Mike is allegedly his name 😂. It’s got such a faint bit of sass to it and I love it.