Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wow, that doesn't sound good. What problems did you have? I like the extra $$ but maybe not worth the hassle? It works out to 2000 more in my pocket, but I have the hassle of getting a ride to Cincy for pick up. Also have to find something else to drive until the car is ready. They're gonna have to make it worth it.
I sold it to a local traditional car dealer, and it has not gone smoothly. Sorry but I'm not going to say more.

Reactions: zapparino
New Idea:

Apply to be a truck driver, fly to California. Find my X, haul it back. Quit. The pay from the haul should cover the flight. That assumes I'll get a VIN.
It's that or you pick out the one you like best and as long as you pay for it, it should be all good. Just make sure that you declare yourself as a lurker to this forum.

The only other thing I can think of is that they are expecting parts by a certain date.

My assumption is that there is absolutely 0 issue with producing the MX on the production line but they stopped making bodies because there is no physical space to put them while they wait for a particular part. If this part comes in slowly that would explain why we see such a small quantity of deliveries and movement on the test track.
Yes, I agree with you. They are waiting on some part or parts and as they come in, they finish a few, ship them and then again are playing the waiting game until the next batch of parts arrives. It would explain why we have seen deliveries start and then seemingly for no reason stop again. For instance I don’t think we had any vins to speak of in the first couple weeks of January after having a spurt of deliveries at year end.
What frustrates me is that they have chosen to take the few parts they have and put them in the Plaids for orders much later than the bulk of the LR order holders. I understand profits but delivering Plaids to people who have ordered 6-12 months after people waiting for a year or more for a LR is a short term profit and long term customer dissatisfaction decision. In addition the amount of additional profit they are making by delivering a handful of Plaids instead of LR is a rounding error for a company the size of Tesla. What they are managing to do very well though is to piss off a group of their very best customers. Tesla needs people to buy cars from them not just for the next couple years but rather in 5, 10,15,20 years when customers and their families are in the market for their next cars. Unfortunately, they are leaving the door open for their competitors with very poor decision making

New Idea:

Apply to be a truck driver, fly to California. Find my X, haul it back. Quit. The pay from the haul should cover the flight. That assumes I'll get a VIN.
Yes! Or heres an idea, allow us to do local pickup.

I am down for a cross-country supercharger trip back to CT!

If this happened I would argue that saves me the $1,200 delivery fee.
1642713465472.png

Yes, I agree with you. They are waiting on some part or parts and as they come in, they finish a few, ship them and then again are playing the waiting game until the next batch of parts arrives. It would explain why we have seen deliveries start and then seemingly for no reason stop again. For instance I don’t think we had any vins to speak of in the first couple weeks of January after having a spurt of deliveries at year end.
What frustrates me is that they have chosen to take the few parts they have and put them in the Plaids for orders much later than the bulk of the LR order holders. I understand profits but delivering Plaids to people who have ordered 6-12 months after people waiting for a year or more for a LR is a short term profit and long term customer dissatisfaction decision. In addition the amount of additional profit they are making by delivering a handful of Plaids instead of LR is a rounding error for a company the size of Tesla. What they are managing to do very well though is to piss off a group of their very best customers. Tesla needs people to buy cars from them not just for the next couple years but rather in 5, 10,15,20 years when customers and their families are in the market for their next cars. Unfortunately, they are leaving the door open for their competitors with very poor decision making
Wooly we live too close and think the same way to not be friends. Let’s change that. I stopped by Reno store today to talk again and she pushed my account to the logistics person to just try and get answers. I showed her the order from this week that got a VIN and her response was “BS” and then the only way that would happen is if someone denied delivery. So again just check that out @richincle. There also was a refreshed X in my exact order sitting in the lot at reno. I asked about that and she did say they are having a hard time with that person to take delivery. I said i have cash now and can leave with it. She said for the S they were giving people 3 days to pick it up with the X they are waiting longer. I said I have heard the 3 days on the X so call that guy and get back with me today. Fingers crossed.

Yes! Or heres an idea, allow us to do local pickup.

I am down for a cross-country supercharger trip back to CT!

If this happened I would argue that saves me the $1,200 delivery fee.
View attachment 758048
They are required by law to charge the same Destination and Document fees whether you pick it up at the factory or anywhere else in the country. Also, you'd be required to pay California taxes.

Okay, I am the world's worst at visual puzzles and seeing details. But as I look at these it appears that when I look at a specific car, then look at the next picture it is a different color. Are these the same cars getting shuffled? Are they new and different cars? Am I crazy? (Please don't answer the third question...)
Seems like the same cars are shuffled, may be tested on the track, and parked another way. If they are new, then why the deliveries are not happening fast, if you see 800+ is a huge number, ideally every one of us here should get one. For me, until they are moved out and delivered, it makes me believe they are the same.:rolleyes: (Also 800+ cars cannot be moved out quickly even they have trucks to carry them in the span of a few weeks)

Reactions: EV3_
Despite delays, at least you 6 seater people have hope that they are delivering this configuration. So much disappointment in Tesla and the lack of 5 or 7 seater VINs so far, and such poor estimated timelines for most of us. It worries me to think they'll just wait after all plaids and many 6 seater LRs delivered, then finally decide to axe 5/7 seat cars altogether for LRs too. Honestly at this point they should all give us options to convert to 6-seater sooner than later without penalty if the know only 6-seat option will be produced in the near future or will be delayed indefinitely. I know, personally I would take them up on this offer to get a car in a more realistic and timely fashion.

I continue to be surprised that a part shortage affects the middle 3-row benches to a degree where not a single car with this option can be produced at this point. And if that's the case, then the responsible thing to do is to give us at least more accurate, albeit later, delivery dates so we have some realistic expectations along w/ disappointment....rather than just a deeper degree of disappointment alone.

Sorry just feeling sad to see this state of MX deliveries. Certainly a 1st world problem, and I realize we're all lucky to be able to have such cars ordered in the first place. I have to hand it to all the late 2020 and early 2021 people that have been hanging in there for sure!

This is my belief, which could be completely wrong and most likely is, but figured I'd tell it to see what others believe:

Tesla has had their system 'predict' when you'd get your new vehicle by giving you a range. A lot of you are seeing it now. they've been doing this for a long time. As a matter of fact, they still do for all models except the X, until yesterday that is. My company works with manufacturers doing data science such as Scheduling AI, Robotics, Forecasting, etc. If you try to do ANY kind of forecasting during this pandemic, it's super hard. Most of the time, you'll be lucky to be even remotely close as the data is trash due to supply chain issues. So my guess is that due to the supply chain issues hitting the X immensely plus QA issues, they turned off the predictive EDD by overriding it in the code. You can clearly see this if you look at the source code if you still have March. This is why we kept seeing a +1 month every month for the past X months.

Here is my crazy guess. Someone f'ed up and pushed a new update to the code to undo the override for a lot of folks. This is why so many can see an EDD range without a VIN. The system sees a lot of vehicles marked as complete and it's trying to let some peeps know that one is coming. Now, I hope I'm wrong and a lot of you get your vehicles, but that's the only logical explanation running through my head that doesn't throw Tesla under the bus. They can't seriously f this up THAT bad, can they?

If someone here is a graphics designer, I'd love to see a beautiful meme that says, The Tesla Way, created. I want this to be part of my signature.
You are correct.

However, Tesla is a technology company, and how complex is for ML algorithm to understand the trends over a year and represent accurate results. Not sure they are focusing on fixing the code rather than using a script to push dates by a month every 15th. :confused::eek: