Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was an anti-yoker when I first saw the unveil and most of last year. Then I started paying attention to my hands and realized I almost never touch the top of the wheel anyway. I drive with my hands towards the bottom 98% of the time, so I kind of stopped caring. I’m sure it’ll be an adjustment but I think it’ll be quick for me. I can see how it would bother 12 o’clock drivers though.
I've been training myself on my current daily driver ever since the MX refresh was announced, so when (if?) I get my X I might be a useful datapoint in this context.

I was an anti-yoker when I first saw the unveil and most of last year. Then I started paying attention to my hands and realized I almost never touch the top of the wheel anyway. I drive with my hands towards the bottom 98% of the time, so I kind of stopped caring. I’m sure it’ll be an adjustment but I think it’ll be quick for me. I can see how it would bother 12 o’clock drivers though.

That is silly talk. You should be ashamed that you are not more dramatic and judgmental on something that is different and you have not even tried yet.

Wait, your 20" wheels actually came with tires that don't have an M+S stamp???????
The Continental Cross Contacts are supposed to the stock tire for the Plaid with 20" wheels.
That is correct. Lovely, isn’t it? I saw another Plaid here with 20” wheels last weekend with the same Latitude Sport 3 summer tires. When I saw that, I scrambled to order a set of all seasons. A little frustrating that I had to immediately drop another $1100 on a set of tires. The other three Plaids had 22 inch wheels, and all had Sport Contact 6’s. The 2 LR’s had Cross Contact LX Sports. None of the Plaids with the 22’s had the wheel inserts installed.

Attachments

• 1A84B12D-5CE2-42F2-A017-4D8D723CD04E.jpeg
    1A84B12D-5CE2-42F2-A017-4D8D723CD04E.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 636E229F-3B44-480B-9DF0-B0F0DC455DE1.jpeg
    636E229F-3B44-480B-9DF0-B0F0DC455DE1.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 53
That is correct. Lovely, isn’t it? I saw another Plaid here with 20” wheels last weekend with the same Latitude Sport 3 summer tires. When I saw that, I scrambled to order a set of all seasons. A little frustrating that I had to immediately drop another $1100 on a set of tires. The other three Plaids had 22 inch wheels, and all had Sport Contact 6’s. The 2 LR’s had Cross Contact LX Sports. None of the Plaids with the 22’s had the wheel inserts installed.

Never thought the wrong tires would be a reason for rejecting the order but it would basically mean an unexpected extra $1500 out the window plus time.

It's going to be the first thing I order after scheduling my wrap. The sad thing is that it may only be $600 but I'd gladly pay $2K to Tesla to have a regular steering wheel. I still think the yoke is going to cause accidents and the NHTSA will eventually force a recall. Yes I know a bunch of you are going thumbs down me :(
There are enough Model Ses with the yoke on the road that we would have seen these accidents already. Doesn't appear to be happening.

There's enough Model Ses with the yoke on the road that we would have seen these accidents already. Doesn't appear to be happening.

I have 23k miles on my new S with the yoke. 15 or so states. Lot of mountain driving. 10-20 roundabouts per day. Not one accident or curb. No near misses.

Looks fantastic, congrats! I’m guessing the other two LR’s there were also 6-seaters.
Thank you! Yes, both LR’s were 6 seaters.
I’m gonna be mad if I wind up with summer tires when I specifically chose the smaller option for all season.
I hope you get all season tires, but 2/2 Plaids here in Salt Lake City that I have seen both had summer tires. If you have a VIN you may try calling and see if they can tell which tires are mounted on your vehicle. However, I would take that information, like anything else from the SA’s, with a shaker of salt. Maybe preemptively buy some all seasons and return them if you get lucky.